What are you cooking right now?

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Oh, man...I needed this. "Takeout" burgers are never as good as fresh (I can't go out and eat them at the restaurant) and we don't make them at home very often.

Double cheeseburgers, with sharp cheddar, King's Hawaiian pretzel buns, French's fried onions, bacon, arugula/rocket, tomato, sweet pickle relish, mayo, and brown deli mustard (wish it was coarse ground/whole grain).

Man, this really hit the spot.

Please excuse the photo vignette. I'm hiding the 3M respirator and the cat medicine package on the counter. Ha!

20220708_220146.jpg

Last edited:

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Had a White People Taco Night™. Haven't made tacos like this in...maybe 20 years? Ortega crunchy taco shells, McCormick taco seasoning packet, pre-shredded cheese, canned chopped black olives, diced tomato, and some Crystal hot sauce. Man, that hit the cravings's spot.

For lunch, we just made some sandwiches on some grocery store bakery ciabatta rolls. I normally put spinach on sandwiches, but this time I put basil. I also realized that the fresh mozzarella is cheaper than the pre- sliced sandwich cheese I normally get, so we basically make caprese and deli turkey sandwiches, with a little balsamic. Also a nostalgic hit, especially with the pile of Sun Chips...but not from decades ago. Just for the boxed lunches vendors used to bring us at my old job for "lunch and learn" presentations before the pandemic. Also hit a specific nostalgic "spot" right in the bullseye.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Had a White People Taco Night™. Haven't made tacos like this in...maybe 20 years? Ortega crunchy taco shells, McCormick taco seasoning packet, pre-shredded cheese, canned chopped black olives, diced tomato, and some Crystal hot sauce. Man, that hit the cravings's spot.

For lunch, we just made some sandwiches on some grocery store bakery ciabatta rolls. I normally put spinach on sandwiches, but this time I put basil. I also realized that the fresh mozzarella is cheaper than the pre- sliced sandwich cheese I normally get, so we basically make caprese and deli turkey sandwiches, with a little balsamic. Also a nostalgic hit, especially with the pile of Sun Chips...but not from decades ago. Just for the boxed lunches vendors used to bring us at my old job for "lunch and learn" presentations before the pandemic. Also hit a specific nostalgic "spot" right in the bullseye.
Woah. Flashbacks to my childhood all of the sudden.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
image.png

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Fpr lunch, I used up the last of the bread, mozzarella, and ham. Using basil as greenery in a dandwich: highly recommended

Tastes better than it looks. Fresh mozz is also a star. I wish my balsamic were reduced a bit, though, so it was thicker. Ooh, and pesto would have been awesome. Oh, well.

20220716_041656.jpg

Dinner tonight: we split a box of blue box mac and cheese, and roasted zucchini with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Wasn’t particularly photogenic.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Our oven has been broken for almost 4 weeks now. I didnt realize how much of the cooking we do was in the oven until we no longer had one. The stove still works, so we have the stove, microwave, slow cooker and Griddler...but, man, I'm craving a shitty pizza or frozen eggrolls. Ha!

It died right after the Independence Day sales ended, so we are waiting for the Labor Day sales to see if the one we want goes on sale.

Dinner tonight: Chicken Vesuvio

1lb chicken breast, pounded thin. Salt and pepper, dredge in flour. Brown in a non-stick with 1 tablespoon EVOO about 3 mins each side.

Remove the chicken to a plate. Add 12oz either tiny red potatoes or red or gold potatoes cut into 1" pieces to the skillet with 2 teaspoons more oil. Brown potatoes for 7 mins, stirring occasionally.

Add 1-10 cloves of garlic 1/4 tsp dried oregano, 1/8 tsp dried rosemary, 1/8 tsp salt, and heat for 30 seconds until fragrant.

Add 1 cup chicken broth and 1/4 cup white wine. Nestle chicken pieces into the liquid, cover, and simmer for 12-18 mins, flipping halfway, until chicken is to temp.

Remove chicken to plate, and tent loosely. Reduce liquid and continue cooking potatoes for another 7 mins-ish until potatoes are tender.

Scoop out potatoes with a slotted spoon to the chicken plate. Off-heat, stir in 1/2 frozen and thawed green peas, 2 teaspoons lemon juice and 2 tablespoons butter until cohesive. Pour over chicken and potatoes.

Eat.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220817-001724_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220817-001724_Gallery.jpg
    1,017.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20220817-001732_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220817-001732_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Our oven has been broken for almost 4 weeks now. I didnt realize how much of the cooking we do was in the oven until we no longer had one. The stove still works, so we have the stove, microwave, slow cooker and Griddler...but, man, I'm craving a shitty pizza or frozen eggrolls. Ha!

It died right after the Independence Day sales ended, so we are waiting for the Labor Day sales to see if the one we want goes on sale.

Dinner tonight: Chicken Vesuvio

1lb chicken breast, pounded thin. Salt and pepper, dredge in flour. Brown in a non-stick with 1 tablespoon EVOO about 3 mins each side.

Remove the chicken to a plate. Add 12oz either tiny red potatoes or red or gold potatoes cut into 1" pieces to the skillet with 2 teaspoons more oil. Brown potatoes for 7 mins, stirring occasionally.

Add 1-10 cloves of garlic 1/4 tsp dried oregano, 1/8 tsp dried rosemary, 1/8 tsp salt, and heat for 30 seconds until fragrant.

Add 1 cup chicken broth and 1/4 cup white wine. Nestle chicken pieces into the liquid, cover, and simmer for 12-18 mins, flipping halfway, until chicken is to temp.

Remove chicken to plate, and tent loosely. Reduce liquid and continue cooking potatoes for another 7 mins-ish until potatoes are tender.

Scoop out potatoes with a slotted spoon to the chicken plate. Off-heat, stir in 1/2 frozen and thawed green peas, 2 teaspoons lemon juice and 2 tablespoons butter until cohesive. Pour over chicken and potatoes.

Eat.
Ah man thst sucks about the oven. I take it it can't be fixed?

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ah man thst sucks about the oven. I take it it can't be fixed?

I've already fixed all the parts I can over the years, a bit of an Oven of Thesius at this point.. It's come down to the control panel, which is out of stock, and going for almost $600 on eBay. For a couple hundred more, we get a range with all of the features we wish this 15-year-old oven had (in-oven broiler, a high-power burner for boiling water faster, self-clean function, and convection...current oven doesn't have any of those), plus a center griddle burner and the burner grates that span the whole top, rather than the 4 small grates.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I've already fixed all the parts I can over the years, a bit of an Oven of Thesius at this point.. It's come down to the control panel, which is out of stock, and going for almost $600 on eBay. For a couple hundred more, we get a range with all of the features we wish this 15-year-old oven had (in-oven broiler, a high-power burner for boiling water faster, self-clean function, and convection...current oven doesn't have any of those), plus a center griddle burner and the burner grates that span the whole top, rather than the 4 small grates.
Man I hate when the control panels go. It always seems like such a waste when its just the control system that's broken.

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’m having a very healthy lunch today. Homemade chicken salad (white pepper is the secret ingredient) with spinach on a low carb (very high fiber) wrap and carrots.

46-D70813-20-F1-4-BE0-8956-1-ADABC5076-BD.jpg

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Your carrots look Dangerously Cheesy (tm).

🤜 🤛

Don't tell my wife, I told her I had a double portion of carrots!

Sadly we have some kids junk food left over from our dirt bike riding trip. I've gotta say some of the funnies shit I've seen was letting the kids try the Cheetos Carolina Reaper ones. It was their idea to get them!

Crungy

I've made up mah mahnd, I ain't wastin no mo tahm
Reaction score
I made some stuffed peppers about a week ago that turned out really well. The green one is a Jalapeño, the others I think are Hungarian wax peppers. My wife grew them but we had some confusion on what tags went with what peppers becaise there was another pepper that sort of looked like the Hungarian ones but they became very sweet with no heat.

The stuffing was cream cheese, grated Parmesan, garlic powder, Parsely, Chives, Shallots and small white onions (all veggies were from her garden).

I wanted to do them on the grill to make standing them up easier but it was too hot for me that day, so I hog piled them in the oven. Turned out super good, only the Jalapeño made me suffer.

20220809_190028.jpg

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Jalapenos are so weird because they can be completely mild to face meltingly hot. No rhyme or reason to it.

We grew some years ago, and we either got green bell pepper level or habanero level. I’ve always been told to look at the brown veining on the inside but who knows. A guy once told me his grandmother’s secret to growing hot as shit peppers was to basically not water them until they look like they’re gonna die, then just give ‘em a little bit of water till they perk back up. Rinse and repeat until you have some smokers.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
We grew some years ago, and we either got green bell pepper level or habanero level. I’ve always been told to look at the brown veining on the inside but who knows. A guy once told me his grandmother’s secret to growing hot as shit peppers was to basically not water them until they look like they’re gonna die, then just give ‘em a little bit of water till they perk back up. Rinse and repeat until you have some smokers.
Interesting. Might have to try that.

Crungy

I've made up mah mahnd, I ain't wastin no mo tahm
Reaction score
These all got watered somewhat frequently for a while, then not much at all the last few weeks. They seemed to hold up fine and all of the jalapeños were very hot and had a slightly woody texture which I had not experienced before. All in all good though I paid the ultimate price the next day or two.

The other two kinds are super good, I wish I knew what exactly they are. The not spicy ones were sweet and very soft and the hot ones were normal pepper texture and medium to fairly hot.

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So my wife is not buying it that I am eating clean for lunch. I told her, chicken wrap and carrots. CARROTS.

C6-F19-A91-690-C-4633-88-F6-DCABD35-D06-FD.jpg

E387-EEC6-5-DEF-4-B22-ABCC-40-AA367-C5514.jpg