What are the best NEWER metal amp heads out there?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Gmork, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

No need to mention the classics ie 5150s, dual recs, jcm800, etc.
    Im in the market for something new and i feel like theres some cool new(ish) amp heads out there that im not familiar with like the kraken thingy or olas satan etc. What are your favourites?

2. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

I don´t know if you would still consider this new, but I got a Driftwood Purple Nightmare later this year. I play Metal most of the time and i think it does that really well.

Other than that, I am still extremely curious about Revv Generator 100p. Seems to be a nice Metal machine, as far as one can tell from the few clips on youtube.

Gmork likes this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

anything from MI audio. Go check out some of the megalith gamma and beta clips, they sound massive.

4. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

Please let me submit a vote for the Revv 100P.

I picked one up about a month ago and it truly has exceeded my expectations. I don’t see these becoming just another amp flavor o’ the month as more people get their hands on them. These guys clearly did their homework when building this amp. My only regret is if I knew I was going to like it this much I might have just splurged on the 4 channel Generator 120 just for the hell of it. ​

TedintheShed, Luafcm and Gmork like this.
  5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Would the Invective count, or do you consider that to just be another 5150 in this context?

Palmer6strings, PrestoDone and Gmork like this.
  6. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Orange dual dark, marshall jvm, fender supersonic (you laugh but try the gain channel).

Strobe likes this.
  7. Sephiroth952

Sephiroth952 Ibby Fanboy

Jp2c if that counts as "new".

8. protest

protest SS.org Regular

KSR

icipher and Gmork like this.
  9. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

PRS showing up to show the youngins it still has moves with the Archon & the Tremonti amp.

efiltsohg, Manurack and Wolfhorsky like this.
  10. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

More than anything else ive seen im really drawn to the generator 120 but spending $4000 (Canadian) is just crazy...... But i want it lol.
    Good chance ill just grab a used 6505 for $900. But id really love to try something new so i dont know.

11. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

since you're in BC, check out Verellen too.

Outstanding offerings (and very customizable) and based out of seattle area.

12. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Engl powerball - it gets some hate for not cutting that great in a live situation, but for the studio it is a great tool and very versatile I found, especially if you run the lower gain channels (lead I or crunch) with a tubescreamer, you can get a lot of different tones out of one head. Also, at least here in Denmark, there is a lot of them on the used market for cheap, for 600 - 700 bucks it is worth trying.

13. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

Powerballs have been around for years and I belief the OP is asking about new offerings in the amp world relevant to the last couple of years or so.

14. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

It's not an old amp NOR a new amp but it's not a classic, but the Pro Sonic seems brutal. Like Fender tried to do a 5150.

And there's the PRS Archon. Like PRS tried to do a more versatile and tighter Recto. And it's little brother, the MT15. Like a Recto and an Uberschall had a literal baby. And there's talk of a possibly bigger MT50 or MT100 at the next Winter NAMM.

And there's the Krank Rev+. It's an interesting amp that's super hard to describe. Always wanted to try one. People used to hate them (mostly because Krank as a company was a joke), but they have a cult following now.

And there's the old Randall G3+ and XL series. The RH150G3+ and RH300+ were gain and low end monsters and pretty affordable. And the Randall T2 and V2 were absolutely crushing. They AREN'T all tube. The G3+ series had a single 12AT7 in the power section with a solid state preamp (I think?) while the T2/V2 had 2 12AX7s in the preamp and 400w power sections with a 12AT7 (the T2 had the tube always in the circuit while the V2 had a SS clean channel, SS dirt channel, and tube dirt channel). Seems like the 12AT7 added a slight tube flavor and smoothed things out.

Also I always dug the Ibanez TBX150H. It's unforgivingly solid state, but they're super affordable and do a tight crushing metal tone no problem. A good alternative if you can't find a VH140C or SS140C since they're getting more expensive.

gunch, Luafcm and Spinedriver like this.
  15. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

The PRS Archon can be considered new.

I loved the amp, only issue i had was i wanted 3 channels.. other them that, one of the BEST amp on the market.

16. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Ive actuactually got a vh140 AND ss150 lol but am liking the idea of a beastly highgain tube amp, somethingnewish (last decade sorta thing) that i can safely rely on.
    My ampegs and peaveyvtm120 are old af lol.

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

Yeah the last part was redundant since I know you got a shit-ton of Ampeg amps and VH pedals. :lol: But yeah, it's just an amp I really dig.

But seriously if you don't mind SS/hybrids, try out the Randall G3+ amps or the T2. Very, very fucking brutal amps. Can be dark, but I think that would blend well with a brighter amp like the VTM.

Gmork likes this.
  18. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

I e heard ofthe T2 but never looked into it, but damn its specs sound prrfect! Is the T2 the best of that series? And how is the V2 related?

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

For absolute pure brutality, it's arguably better. It's a 2 channel amp, with a tube clean channel and a tube lead channel with a boost.

The V2 has the SS clean channel that's more solid state pristine than the T2's, a SS channel that's lower gain, tighter, and more compressed (I've heard it's in the same family as the Randall Century), and a Tube lead channel that's not AS brutal as the T2 but is still heavy. The V2 also has the EQ on board.

20. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

I quite like the PRS Archon, especially the 100w version. Tons of gain, but nice clarity.