What are the 90s rock bands doing nowadays?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by ilyti, Jul 6, 2014.

1. ilyti

ilyti Lazy Ryebread Viking

So I am a fan of 90s rock.. how can anyone not be?? Here's a place to discuss what those 90s rock bands are doing now. Many of them seem to be reforming and cashing in on former popularity, and who can blame them? By the way, when I say 90s rock, I mean grunge, post grunge, alternative, guitar-based radio music that had solos, etc. Don't be ashamed to mention stuff you liked because you heard it on the radio! That's where most of us started!

Anyway, I was just looking at the lineup for this year's Ottawa Bluesfest (which I am missing because I just moved north), and I'm shocked to see so many 90s bands on the bill. That's really what inspired this thread. I saw that Moist had reformed and are playing (!!!), also Collective Soul, Barenaked Ladies, Sam Roberts, Beth Hart, Queens of the Stone Age, Third Eye Blind... 90s revival time is in full swing. Alice in Chains played last year, which was pretty great. I saw I Mother Earth and Our Lady Peace on a festival bill recently. Apologies to those who are baffled at how many Canadian bands I'm naming and actually know. Canadian bands were all my wife listened to years ago. .

Which bands do you like and that you know are recently active? I'm curious now to actually hear what Smashing Pumpkins are up to these days. Since they reformed, I didn't take much notice. My first favourite band ever was 90s rock, and they're still around - D-A-D, whom you won't know unless you're from Scandinavia. I was also a big fan of Dizzy Mizz Lizzy in my grunge-discovery days. Tim Christensen is a singer-songwriter, but I don't think much of his stuff now.

2. flexkill

flexkill Vodka & PentaTonic

I miss these guys.....soo fun and GOOD!

3. Veldar

Veldar Is Post-Thrash?

I really wish Smashing Pumpkins would get the original line up back, their best album was done when Billy took a step back and let D'arcy and James play on the record and write some music.

4. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

A big part of me misses the 90s..

5. djyngwie

djyngwie SS.org Regular

6. Alimination

Alimination Space Adventurer

^^^

hahahaha nice

7. Bodes

Bodes SS.org Regular

I saw Filiter play Soundwave festival earlier this year. Barely anyone knew who they were then they played their hit song "Take a Picture" and the singer ended the song by saying "oh YEAH, THAT Filter" so much laughter followed!

BTW Flexkill: POTUSOA play almost every year here is AUS.

A poster for Veruca Salt was put up on the train overpass the other day and made me say "Wow, I remember them"

90's child here.

The last couple of years Aqua, Ace of Base and Venga boys (sorry if their songs are now stuck in your head :fawk: ) have toured AUS, too.

8. MemphisHawk

MemphisHawk Japan's One And Only

I saw a conspiracy theory somewhere where people were discussing how the drummer for Nirvana was reincarnated into the lead Singer of the Foo Fighters. You young kids blow my mind sometimes. It's getting bad.

9. yingmin

yingmin Parker ├╝ber alles

Heroin.

10. MFB

MFB Banned

I can say for a fact that Sugar Ray, Smash Mouth and Blues Traveler are all on tour together right now; so I'd say cashing in on the now mid-20's adults who want to relive being 10-12.

11. asher

asher So Did We

I saw Blues Traveler by themselves a couple months ago and they absolutely slayed live. And despite being almost 24, I have no nostalgia there because I hadn't heard them until a year or two ago. They're just incredibly talented.

12. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel Dinkleberg

Despite only making "one hit wonder" status, Harvey Danger's first album had a lot of good songs on it, IMO:

13. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, the 90s had some decent music, but for me it's like the 2000s -kind of a lost decade. Except for the early 90s with grunge. I personally felt like most of the 90s stuff was watered down and made for maximum sales. There are a few gems in there, though. I got into a lot of drum and bass stuff in the 90s, like Roni Size, Chemical Brothers, etc. Some pretty cool stuff there. But I felt like there wasn't much interesting mainstream stuff going on from 1995-2005. (And after that I gave up on mainstream and started getting into the more obscure metal we all listen to on here.)

And D-A-D is Disneyland After Dark, yeah? With the dude with the 2 stringed bass?

ilyti likes this.
  14. F1Filter

F1Filter Contributor

This is possibly the most 90's tour this summer. I guess you get disqualified or something if you play in another tuning. :lol:

[​IMG]

15. MemphisHawk

MemphisHawk Japan's One And Only

Hell Yeah, Local H

[YOUTUBEVID]E2Oe5YKhzCE[/YOUTUBEVID]

I wonder who they have playing for them thought because Local H was just 2 guys and there is obviously more than 2 things happening in their music.

16. F1Filter

F1Filter Contributor

Live, Scott plays mostly everything. Although they occasionally have their tour manager come out and do backing vocals and perc.

17. DocBach

DocBach SS.org Regular

In 2009 Filter did a USO tour to Iraq (after 9/11 their bassist or drummer joined the Army, can't remember which). Half way through the set I saw at FOB Warrior, Kirkuk we started taking indirect fire from mortars. They were pretty chill about it but their personal security detachment made them take cover under a Taco Bell trailer, which had a ballistic protective roof.

They didn't get to play "Take a Picture," and ironically they did play "Hey Man Nice Shot," but the bad guys didn't hit us!

18. Nour Ayasso

Nour Ayasso SS.org Regular

I remember hearing that Brad Wilk was working with Black Sabbath on their new album...

19. twizza

twizza Social Assassin

They own it live, especially back in the day (I think the guitar player died). I'd be pissed if I had to sit through those two other shit bands.

20. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

just Googled and saw that Smashmouth still exist :(