What are teenagers into now?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by frogman81, Aug 23, 2018.

1. frogman81

frogman81 SS.org Regular

So the other day I was at work and talking about cars. I have this theory that cool cars with cool engines and manual transmissions are destined to appreciate slowly because before long they will be relics of the past and (potentially) very much collectible if kept in the appropriate condition. Anyway, this dude told me he didn’t think that was true because “millennials don’t care about cars”. I was kinda gobsmacked, but I think he was right. I just read someone on here say that to their teenager and his friends, guitars aren’t cool anymore. So I’m like “what’s next, SEX ISN’T COOL ANYMORE??”... If cars and guitars aren’t cool to teenage boys, what is??

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  2. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Dabbing, flipping water bottles, dank memes, bath salts probably...

3. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

Hula hoops.

Hollowway likes this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Build the Wall of Sound™

there's still kids that like cars and guitars, nothing has changed in that regard. If anything I'd say video games like forza or gran turismo have given a lot of kids a greater appreciation for cars, plus there's a bunch of car related reality shows which probably helped renew interest in cars just like orange county choppers did with motorcycles. I still see middle schoolers and high schoolers posting their shitty covers of metallica right alongside older guys that post shitty covers of metallica on instagram. granted, it's mostly kids posting shitty monuments, AAL and periphery covers anymore, but some still try and learn the "classics"

5. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

Fucking Fortnite. Seriously, that thing is more addictive than heroin.

Hollowway, narad and will_shred like this.
  6. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Millenials are in their mid 30's so...

Also, cars are still cool. Its the reality that most of us wont ever own nice ones that has changed.

A-Branger, Ordacleaphobia and vilk like this.
  7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Yeah, I don’t think people have realized just HOW hard it is for the average millennial (roughly age 30 right now) to hit “comfortably middle class”.

“Cars” as a hobby is for someone with money.

And my best friend LOVES expensive cars and such, while I could not give a shit.

And that’s the rub. Everyone likes different things, and millenials are significantly less likely to “keep up with the joneses” than prior generations.

So my buddy goes through AMG’s like water and I drive a 10+ year old Asian car. Even though we make similar, because I wanted a house and dog.

No one I know can name a guitarist or metal band smaller than Metallica, Iron Maiden, etc. but everyone follows tons of musicians on instagram.

But they can name 20 craft beer stouts off the top of their heads, or their favorite DJ’s, or what have you.

Companies borderline had breakdowns because they could not figure out “how to market to millenials” because we don’t all get our info from the same sources.

IE only people who like football watch football. So your ads are only going to hit football fans.

Guys who don’t watch sports are doing whatever the fuck they’re doing, not forcing themselves to do the 1-2 things “everyone else does.”

Don’t really know what my point was, just making conversation.

zappatton2 likes this.
  8. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I'm of millenial-ish age but when dabbing happened I completed my transition to bitter old person.

9. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

I think I heard once that a rich person owns a new car. A poor person owns and old car. A really rich person owns a really old car.

Hollowway likes this.
  10. NateFalcon

NateFalcon SS.org Regular

I don’t think most of the 16-21 yo crowd has the attention span to appreciate many technical hobbies. I got 2 teenage kids so here goes...my 18 yo son (RIP) was a damn solid guitar player at 11-12 but when he got into hip hop and rap he almost completely abandoned guitar and then wanted to “produce” his own rap (with some successes) but when I started showing him how to record and use studio gear I realized he just wanted the outcome and lifestyle (much like most rap lyrics)- putting in the effort became a discouragement...so he moved on. You’re looked at as weak or a bitch if you try hard, current popular rap reflects this...players are supposed to have everything fall in their lap and make it look easy to maintain the “all me/no help” image. Same with cars, he wanted an e30 BMW but when the timing belt went out I told him I’d show him how to change it if he bought the parts...nope, he just started riding the MAX (light rail everywhere) and his work money went toward Air Jordan’s, candy apple Faygo, BAPE and Supreme T-shirts and weed for blunts bless his soul lol. My point is there’s a lot of paths of least resistance with too many perceived safety nets which the younger kids seem to jump all over...Look at the rise in young adults (20-30+) who still live with their parents while playing off a pseudo-autistic personality to avoid the responsibility of “functioning” lol, the 16-20+ yo kids are coddled even more so here’s the current popular, mainstream hobbies: Xan (bars), Oxy’s, lean, blunts (pipes or bongs aren’t cool anymore), molly, mumble rap (SoundCloud), trap (the music), trapping (selling drugs)...and treating girls like shit is still a musical and lyrical classic...domes up cutty- ain’t finna work on no car. Trap and rhyme till you’re rich FTW, slime!!- To sum up, lack of proper motivation lol

11. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

Last time I checked they were all into planking and twerking and dubstep and some gayass vampire/werewolf show.

12. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I mean, I realize this thread is not going to go anywhere without some generalization, but this is like total generalization of every anti-young buzzword. 20-30 yr olds wouldn't be so inclined to live with their parents if the cost of housing and education hadn't skyrocketted, and even then, I know one person in my random friend network like 100. Hardly an epidemic. I don't think the non-anecdotal stats support it either.

This idea of safety nets and rap and drugs decreasing everyone's motivation is misguided IMO.

zappatton2 and JoshuaVonFlash like this.
  13. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Arm-chair politics, Tide pods, djent (because deathcore went out of style), vaping...

14. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Well at least over here alcohol is going out of fashion, teens are just being stupid in other ways now :lol: When I was around 15 yo, the typical thing to do on weekends was to hang out around town and try to acquire beer somehow. I didn't drink personally until my mom let me drink at home, but pretty much everyone my age did :lol: I didn't have many friends back then, so I mostly practiced guitar (I also started doing home recordings around that time) or played xbox.

These days? Don't know tbh. All I see the teenagers doing is hanging around, drinking energy drinks, doing wheelies with their bicycles or mopeds, talking on their cell phones in speaker mode (that annoys the fuck out of me, why the hell would you want everyone around you hearing everything?)... It also seems like they've never heard of headphones - they listen to music straight out of their phone speakers as they're walking around town.

But what are they interested in? Not a clue. But I see the same symptoms that NateFalcon wrote about - everything kids do these days needs to be completely effortless. Our son is 7 now, and already showing some of that. For example, there's a shortcut to a park at the back of our yard, and I installed a gate there so our 2 year old wouldn't run of. So I told the son he has to close the gate every time he goes through it, or alternatively he can walk around the block instead to get to the park. And guess what. Now he walks around the block every time he goes to the park, just because he can't be bothered closing the gate every time :lol: Granted, the locking mechanism on the gate is slightly difficult to operate, but not difficult enough to justify walking 500 meters extra IMO...

15. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

Face Tattoos?

Hollowway and cwhitey2 like this.
  16. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Death Will Reign

I'm 20, I love guitar, am starting to work on some minor stuff on my car, work outside, play basketball, do martial arts and sometimes go shooting. My friends are usually 30+. Most people my age dont hang out with me because they say I'm 40 :lol: lots of people my age like to party - drink, smoke, dance, fall downstairs, etc. Another thing for kids my age is video games and movies. From my life and the people around me, if you're my age, and what you're doing requires effort and learning and practice, it isn't gonna happen.

17. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Probably the same stupid shit as always throughout history, just with a different twist for the current era.

What strikes me as funny is that the topic was about teenagers and then it went to "millennials" without much of a thematic leap because the group is essentially marketed-to like they're teenagers in adult bodies. Depending on who you ask, I was either born inside or a only a couple years before the millennial cutoff and I'm almost 40. Strange.

Hollowway and A-Branger like this.
  18. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I can't wait till those losers have to get a real job.... :lol:

19. thraxil

thraxil cylon

I don't buy that millennials are any less hard working than any other generation. Teenagers are always (in general. there are always exceptions) lazy, shallow, and short-sighted though; that kind of comes with the territory.

As far as millennials not being interested in cars and such, I think there are a number of reasons. Student loan debt and economic outlook for them are much worse than they were for older generations. There's a real feeling that they will never have stability, home ownership, etc. So why waste money on those big ticket things? Cars in particular come with a lot of extra expenses and responsibilities and it's really easy to just take an Uber instead. When I was a kid, pre-internet, in a rural area, you *needed* a car to be able to socialize with your friends. Now much of that social interaction is available online so the car isn't the social lifeline that it used to be. I've lived in cities for my adult life and don't own or have any desire to own a car. Not needing a car is one of the main reasons I continue to live in cities rather than move back to the countryside where I could have a larger house for less money. So I totally understand how cars can lose their appeal.

20. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

I generally hate life-advice books and, in consequence, people who write those things. But I liked this video, just what I experienced with trainees on our company. Those kids basically change departments for six months in a row to get a taste of real life and many failed in almost every aspect of professional life. Some kicked serious ass though, so I don't really think it's the issue of a whole generation, but the tendency is evident...

Flappydoodle and NateFalcon like this.