What are decent headless fanned fret guitars for 2021?

Thaeon

Cosmic Question Asker
Reaction score
Ah my fault on the misquote. Also I had forgotten about the issues with the pilot holes for the nut/string locks. Once you mentioned it I remembered seeing several things about that and remembered why I wasn't considering a headless from Kiesel any longer.

Hey, no harm done. We’re all trying to help OP out. Just wanted to make sure all the accurate info was there. I don’t know how often those pilot holes are having issues, but the ones I’ve seen are concerning enough. My main concern being is if those cracks extend into the area of the truss rod cavity. I don’t know that that could be repaired.

jym

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I appreciate the responses. I'm still partial to the strandberg and Mayones but will still get a kiesel once I found a few on sale locally.
I have a headless 8 string on order from https://adversaryguitars.com/. All of the past customers I reached out to spoke very highly of his work, and I’ll post my own ngd when it’s done. Found out about him from a post by @KnightBrolaire

trickae

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I want Strandberg to be successful. Cool design. Interesting neck profile. They just have terribly inconsistent delivery with the exception of the J Series. I want one. But I also want it to not suck. Especially for that kind of money. Would love for prices to be more reasonable based on location of manufacture as well.

I'm in touch with the Japanese Factory that can do J-series customs. I can forward you their contact if you're keen.

jco5055

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm in touch with the Japanese Factory that can do J-series customs. I can forward you their contact if you're keen.

made you saying you can order direct from them? If so I’d be curious also

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly, I've had 4 Strandbergs and I really dig them. Especially my Boden Fusion Neck-thru. Kind of my perfect guitar. The others are/were an Original 7, a OS7, and a Standard 7. No real complaints on any of them. Kind of want the Salen Jazz, and Metal 6 to put in D Standard/Drop C.

That said, I would very much like to try out a Kiesel Vader, and for shits and giggles, one of those new Ibanez headless guitars when they come out.

Thaeon

Cosmic Question Asker
Reaction score

yeah. Message me the info. If I’m going to go that route on a guitar (headless), I’d like one with a trem and multiscale. And I’d love to try that neck.

trickae

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thought I'd give everyone an update. So I ended up getting a handful of the guitars I was keen to buy.

Strandberg Boden 8: Strandberg lives up to the hype and plays incredibly well. The enduraneck is quite comfortable and didn't take much time to get used to. It's a bit thicker than I like at the lower frets but I love the thinner neck for the upper fret access. I loved it so much that I ended up getting a Prog 5 bass as well.

Kiesel Vader VM8: I also picked up a kiesel vader VM8 and got to inspect it before hand. Quality-wise it was immaculate with no defects. Honestly, the neck is more comfortable than the strandberg. The neck width is narrower and makes it easier to reach the 8th string and for doing runs up and down the fretboard. Also, the neck through design makes it even more comfortable past the 19th fret.

Mayones Hydra VF7: I couldn't find a second Hydra VM7 but I'm assuming it'd be similar to my Mayones Duvell Qatsi 7 that I had sold last year.

I fell in love with Padalka so have gotten in touch with Simon, so will be able to place an order in 2024.

Out of all the guitars, I found the Kiesel Vader VM8 the most comfortable to play. Though for meshuggah and modern metal, I prefer the longer scale length with the strandberg.

Latest posts