What amp has the most responsive/dynamic heavy distortion?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Gollapalli, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Gollapalli

Gollapalli Texas bluesman (with chugs)

Will have to look into the Fryette amps, the deliverance or similar is kind of the dream right now: a single-channel players amp that shows instead of hides

I got the chance to play a vengeance once and wasn't particularly impressed, but was far less concerned about this sort of thing back then. Also I was in a guitar center and couldn't really put any volume on it. Will have to give it another shot when I get the chance.

One of my axes is a single-coil tele tuned to drop A if that tells you anything, but yeah every orange I've ever played has been super fuzzy sounding. I've always really loved the tones other people got from them though. (never had the chance to play one of those cranked either :sad: )

Hadn't heard of Roccaforte or Mako, and can't find much on their websites. Are they still in business?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    Edika likes this.
  2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'd put the old Marks in this category (III, IV, etc) but probably not the V, or V:25, etc. They can do it, but not quite as well, IMO.

BigViolin and Choop like this.
  3. Gollapalli

Gollapalli Texas bluesman (with chugs)

When you say with all the knobs all the way up, do you mean all the knobs on the overdrive or the Hi Watt?

4. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Sorry, all the knobs on the OCD. Couldn't tell what the Hi Watt was set to. I remember that even with the OCD dimed the guitarist was able to go from edge of break up/mild overdrive to holy shit just by hitting the strings harder.

Gollapalli likes this.
  5. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

Bogner Uberschall!

King Belial likes this.
  6. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

Wizard
    Peters
    Fryette

protest likes this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

My Mesa mk3 is very dynamic.
    Same with my Peters FSM.
    Both of them can go from clean to mean just by rolling my guitar's vol knob or smashing the strings harder.

Choop likes this.
  8. King Belial

King Belial SS.org Regular

This would probably be my vote. that ubershall is the ultimate metal amplifier

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    littlebadboy likes this.
  9. Boris_VTR

Boris_VTR SS.org Regular

In my humble experience this amps DONT response to light/heavy picking:
    ENGL Savage SE
    ENGL Savage 120
    6505+

My friends Dual Rectifier has huge volume dynamics when hitting strings hard. I actually dont find this all that good really in metal situation. Volume jumps are just all over the place. I know I know, he should control it better etc...

10. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I got mine used and it also has Mercury Magnetics transformers so I'm not sure how much this affects the sound. It is a dark sounding amp and can get quite heavy sounding but it's not overly compressed and wet sounding as a Peavey 5150. Lovely clean but yeah certainly try it again before getting one. Good thing about this amp is that it can take a wide variety of power tubes and you can mix them as pairs. So you can have two 6L6 and two 6550 for example.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  11. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Throw enough gain on anything and it won't care about picking dynamics. I don't feel most high gain amps are particularly different about this but some may have inherently more compression regardless of how you set up the gain. This can be a pro or con depending on what you like. Rolling down your guitar volume knob just reduces the input gain so it's not really a good measure of how the amp performs for picking dynamics.

The most touch sensitive amp I have owned was a Stephenson LJ10. Despite being a little 15W parallel single ended amp it allowed for a very wide scale of picking dynamics, going from clean to mean with just your picking. It had a ton of sag so it was terrible as a rock/metal amp despite having the gain for it. Great blues amp though and wish I had kept it. I haven't gotten that extreme picking dynamics control out of anything else.

XPT707FX and protest like this.
  12. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

VHT/Fryette are probably the most for that.

I try to dial things in on my Recto (Tremoverb) for a little more dynamic RH sensitivity. I probably use a little less gain than most.

13. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Fryette D120. It does that dynamic thing better than anything I've tried (SLO, IIC+, Bogners, etc.).

Mesa Recto also is extremely dynamic if you keep the gain sane.

14. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

i think you loose a lot of dynamics when you smash the front end of an amp with an OD (or really high output pickups but you can roll the volume back). So the amps that are going to be the most dynamic are going to be ones that you feel don't need the extra boost. Most modern metal heads have enough gain built in that you would only use an OD for a certain part or song but not all the time.

everyone is listing amps that sound great without a boost. The mesa marks, and rectos, vht/fryette , ENGL, 5150s, are all great amps. The all have a ton of gain built in.

That isn't to say that a jcm 800 can't be dynamic as well, but they need help getting the gain you'd want for modern metal and I feel like that takes away from the dynamics of the amp when it is just stand alone.

XPT707FX, Emperoff and Chebax like this.
  15. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Most metal amps are not dynamic. They are too saturated and too compressed, at least on their lead channels. Dynamic pick response is something you find in uncompressed, lower gain levels i.e. "edge of breakup." Picking lightly you get a clean, digging in you get some overdrive. It's one of the things people love about Marshall's. Mesa's for the most part don't do this, or at least don't sound nice when they do. The exception actually being Recto's (not Marks) with the gain set lower and their alternative offerings like the Tweed, Blue Angel, Heartbreaker etc. Mark IIC+ maybe, I can't confirm on that one. The Mark V does it well on channel 2 with crunch and edge, but that's not high gain. Same with the XTC blue channel, once the gain gets up you lose that aspect of it.

For actual high gain with actual dynamics the choices are very limited. VHT, specifically the Deliverance/Sig X but the Pittbulls also do it just not as well. Wizard, I can't confirm, but that's the general consensus on them. Recto's with the gain around 10:30 to 12:30, depending on if you're using a boost. Splawn in the OD1 settings are pretty good as well. Probably older Orange and Hiwatt, but I don't have experience there.

Cleaning up on the volume knob is a different story, but that expands it out a bit to stuff like Mesa Marks, KSR etc, but that's not really the same thing. The amps that are dynamic with pick response will also generally clean up better with a volume knob.

If this is the trait you're specifically looking for then I would suggest VHT/Fryette.

budda likes this.
  16. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I can confirm that my Road King can be pretty dynamic, but I use low output pickups and don't use lots of gain or a boost.

17. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Diezels can be very compressed or very dynamic based on how you set them. I can clean up my Herbert with pick attack if I'm conservative with gain. Which I generally am. I don't like too much gain, and my right hand goes from pretty gentle to beating the piss out of the guitar. Often in the same part of a song to change the tone. I don't use volume for anything but swells. Rarely use the tone knobs unless playing blues or jazz, and a lot of the time, pick a pickup setting for a song rather than move around, unless it really needs it to sound right. I change settings between songs a fair amount though. I basically only use two guitars and get what I need out of both of them.

Chebax likes this.
  18. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

More clipping for "high-gain"...
    But, with the least amount of "compression" as possible...

MAJOR amp design feat right there.

Lemme know when you find that unicorn.

Emperoff and budda like this.
  19. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

I have a clip of my fsm with the gain up and guitar vol down somewhere, should try and dig that up.

20. Jon Pearson

Jon Pearson SS.org Regular

I'd say maybe a PRS Archon as far as amps I've played. The lead channel is pretty dynamic, I mean it's still a high gain amp but it definitely feels more responsive to my playing than a 6505 for example