WHAT AMP AND GUITAR TO GET WITH NO CAPSLOCK

DISTORT6

NJ DEVIL
Reaction score
Can anybody name a guitar and amp manufacturer that doesn't capitalize the first letter of their company name, I can't think of any.

soldano-custom-amplification-logo.jpg

This was also my recommendation. :wavey:

Hachetjoel

Ibanez whore
Contributor
Reaction score
Hate to be the party pooper, but even with "negligible interest", taking out a loan and spending it on gear is probably a bad idea. I try really hard not to regret things in my life, but one of the very few things I do regret was not being more aggressive about getting myself completely out of debt and saving/investing money while I was in my 20's.

good gear isnt worth interest. I would only ever pay interest on a house. its just not worth it for a hobby.

but for a good guitar i'd reccomend ebmm jp/majesty or a prestige.

and for an amp you just simply cannot beat a ksr they just slay everything.

I will say you may want to be a little more specific your question is very vague and we're basically all in here listing expensive brands we love. which really doesnt help you do anything.

pkgitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Since this is such a large question where your answer could be anything from Squier to Soldano to whatever, maybe you should go to a store and try something. Not just buy expensive stuff because monnayz.

Can I ask how long you've been playing?

Not to be an asshole, but it kinda sounds like you just want expensive stuff because you can afford it and it would be rad and you'd be awesome. Don't get me wrong, awesome gear will always be awesome gear. Then again, like they say, a "...." player (not you!) with sweet gear will still be ...., but a great player with .... gear will still be a great player.

To contribute: Any guitar with humbuckers and a Kemper or an Axe FX will get you wherever you want. If you can't list some options in terms of what you're looking for, refer to the above about seeking out a shop to figure out what you like and don't like.

wakjob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Me personally?

... lessons.

I have a butt-ton of high end/boutique gear and still suck.

MajorTom

Supreme Being
Reaction score
good gear isnt worth interest. I would only ever pay interest on a house. its just not worth it for a hobby.

I have to say that I seriously agree with this statement, if you can't afford to buy something, be it a guitar, amp, rack unit, audio interface, even a car with out resorting to taking out some kind of finance, or loan, they you can't afford it full stop, and you shouldn't be buying it until you can afford to pay for it outright, it will probably mean that you are going to have to save up longer and go without your latest dream guitar, or custom build for longer than you want to.

People seem to forget about interest and compound interest when they are blinded by the latest and great toy that they are lusting after. Interest, especially when it is compounded adds up extremely fast and reaches very large sums surprisingly fast, if you are not extremely careful and diligent with your payments, and manage your payment plan properly, you can even occur fines, and quite steep fines too, for paying off loans and financing agreements early.

Christ I've become all sensible, that probably means that the world will come to an end tomorrow and Armageddon is upon us.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Well, if I had a VERY large amount of money, I wouldn't buy any gear. I would just hire good and famous musicians to record all of my songs. They do all the dirty work and I could only relax, drink beer and collect all the profits.

I know that you say this as a joke, but I have earnestly felt this sentiment for the past couple years. I have a full album of my own music in my head and it's really, really solid stuff. I want to just turn. it. up. and. jam! But there are no recordings of it.

I don't have time to start a band or play gigs or make a cd, and I dunno if I will ever be able to motivate myself to do that stuff. But I wanna hear my tunes!

bzhan1

Banned
Reaction score
Using large amounts of student loans to buy gear... this has got to be a troll thread. I hope other people in school here don't take this seriously.

Demiurge

Intrepid Jackass
Reaction score
Using large amounts of student loans to buy gear... this has got to be a troll thread. I hope other people in school here don't take this seriously.

Probably not a troll per se as it really seems like something people unfortunately do.

I can say that my student loans have some of the lowest interest rates I've ever enjoyed. BUT if one is broke, squandered their savings, and can't swing the payment on even the principal, low interest is hardly a comfort.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
HOW'S ABOUT THE STYLE OF MUSIC YOU ARE INTO DOES NOT NEED TO NECESSARILY DETERMINE YOUR GEAR WITH NO CAPSLOCK?

Blues on a Strandberg and tech-metal on a Tele. Does it really matter that much, OP? Sounds like you don't even know what kind of guitar or amp you really want (as far as experience) and are just trying to follow the trends.

myselfthecompass

Reaction score

but for a good guitar i'd reccomend ebmm jp/majesty or a prestige.

and for an amp you just simply cannot beat a ksr they just slay everything.

I will say you may want to be a little more specific your question is very vague and we're basically all in here listing expensive brands we love. which really doesnt help you do anything.

Well that's just it, I am looking to find out about what you guys like. For me, my knowledge is limited to Mesa, Engl, Marshall, Randall, etc.
I'm just accumulating ideas. So far I've found a few amps I've never heard of and I'm interested in. Guitar I'm not so worried about since I'm happy with a mid-range Ibanez I have and scared to change to something else in case there is a transition period :lol:

I'm with you on interest, but I was talking to a relative who works at the bank I use and the interest in this case is about 80 euros which I can pay back very quickly without issue(low credit because very short-term). It simply saves me saving up and waiting another X amount of months. Even then, it's only an option. I have quite a lot already which might suffice for what I want. I'm in the research phase right now :lol:

Since this is such a large question where your answer could be anything from Squier to Soldano to whatever, maybe you should go to a store and try something. Not just buy expensive stuff because monnayz.

Can I ask how long you've been playing?

Not to be an asshole, but it kinda sounds like you just want expensive stuff because you can afford it and it would be rad and you'd be awesome. Don't get me wrong, awesome gear will always be awesome gear. Then again, like they say, a "...." player (not you!) with sweet gear will still be ...., but a great player with .... gear will still be a great player.

To contribute: Any guitar with humbuckers and a Kemper or an Axe FX will get you wherever you want. If you can't list some options in terms of what you're looking for, refer to the above about seeking out a shop to figure out what you like and don't like.

I understand what you mean so no worries. I think the tone of the first post inspired all these drive-by remarks and comments. I was amazed to check back on this to find so many snide remarks.

I've been playing ~7 years now.
Within the first year I was at a fairly high level(acquaintance was older than me and into metal and recruited me as guitarist into his band playing a lot of Megadeth and Metallica. I had just started to play some Nirvana and then had Friedman solos I had to learn for the next weeks jam session, so I ended up getting good very fast out of peer pressure and 6+ hour days of practice), then I got into classical and jazz(lots of improvisation) and ended up learning a ton of music theory and taking lessons. I found tech-death about 3 years ago and that's without doubt my favourite genre.
Some songs I'm proud of being able to play are: Evolutionary Sleeper by Cynic (try playing it up to speed along with the recording) as well as the background riff to their song "I'm but a Wave to", I have no idea how Masvidal developed his picking hand to such a high level independently. I always laugh because there is no cover of that song beyond the intro, I'm sure it's because of that fast picked riff in the background.
I also play a lot of Meshuggah and Obscura, but I never found them as difficult as Cynic when they pick up the tempo.

I'm just finished my exams for this year and working on getting an album of material written and recorded, I'll add it to my sig or profile if I get much work done over the next few months.

Despite that, it is pretty much a matter of 'I finally have money, let's get some really good gear.' I've been playing through a Marshall MG for the past 6 years in bands, so it's about damn time at this stage :lol:

Thanks for the recommendations, I had a similar reasoning until I began reading about people saying they don't have the same 'feel' as a real amp, that pros only use them for convenience, etc. I might be able to check a local store to try a Kemper out though, so I'll find out then; people are always eager to talk trash online.

As is, I have around 5,000 euro saved up. I already have a car sorted out and have all the money set aside for lessons, etc. Really, I could get some good gear out of that money already.
I talked to a relative who works in a bank who told me about the student loan system here. I have a large amount of consistent income right now for a few reasons; grants, scholarships, work placement. To put it simply, I can take out 1,000-5,000 and pay it back within 6-12 months with very little credit.
All I do is study mathematics and play guitar, good gear is a good investment.

I'm looking for different opinions of what people consider the very best so I can look into those models

Also, student loans don't have as many negative connotations here as they seem to in America. Here there are advertisements for 1,500 loans for buying new laptops, college is all paid.

HOW'S ABOUT THE STYLE OF MUSIC YOU ARE INTO DOES NOT NEED TO NECESSARILY DETERMINE YOUR GEAR WITH NO CAPSLOCK?

Blues on a Strandberg and tech-metal on a Tele. Does it really matter that much, OP? Sounds like you don't even know what kind of guitar or amp you really want (as far as experience) and are just trying to follow the trends.

With amps I don't, that's why I'm asking so I can have more options to look into.

>follow trends
I don't like the new wave of djent bands if that reassures you

Anyway, despite all these assumptions that I'm a spoiled 16 year old that just picked up a guitar or planning to incur massive debt, I did get some good recommendations so thanks to everyone that contributed, I've added them all to my list of amps and guitars to check out and I'll make a NGD thread after I've done more research and settled on a purchase.

myselfthecompass

Reaction score
Sorry for the massive wall of text, you can tell I have yet to adjust from sitting at my desk all day during exams. :lol:

MajorTom

Supreme Being
Reaction score
I managed to find an amp manufacturer that doesn't use capital letters in their company name on their product, I've hit a roadblock and am stumped trying to find a guitar manufacturer that doesn't use capital letters.

Anybody know of any guitar manufacturers that don't use capital letters.

MajorTom

Supreme Being
Reaction score
Why, .strandberg*, of course!

And we have a winner.

You have won a years supply of breathable air, yes that's right good old 79% of god old nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and a little under 1% of crap like CO2.

This is the closest prize to sweet F.A. that we could muster up with our massive budget.

So you can now take that extra pride when going for a walk knowing that unlike the other free loaders about, for the next year, you have won and earned every breathe you are using, and that for the next year, you will not be wasting oxygen.