What’s been the furthest along in a build when you’ve realized you’ve made a mistake?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by jym, Mar 16, 2021.

1. jym

jym SS.org Regular

How big was the mistake and did you need to start over? I caught a mistake in my current build and asked my luthier to start over, and I’m feeling really bad about it.

Hollowway and Omzig like this.
  2. ChrispyFinch

ChrispyFinch SS.org Regular

thankfully I haven't had a mistake that made me scrap a build. anytime I make on, it just turns into a 'feature' or 'design choice'.
    I've had bad tear out that made me change a body profile, i've had chips in fretboard that then caused a need for binding, etc.

What was bad enough with yours to call for a rebuild?

electriceye and Omzig like this.
  3. jym

jym SS.org Regular

Fret markers were drilled when a blank fretboard was requested. Fret slots were cut all the way out when pocketed frets were ordered.

I offered to pay the wholesale price of the neck and fretboard... I don’t want any bad blood or the result to be substandard.

Omzig likes this.
  4. dmlinger

dmlinger PepperFox

Missed items on a spec sheet is different than a luthier making a craftsmanship mistake, so I wouldn't feel bad if I were you. Your offer to pay for the material was more than fair. He can continue on with the build and sell it to someone as a stock item.

I've made plenty of mistakes. Several scrapped necks that had a truss rod installed but no frets. Farthest along would be a finish that I screwed up and just haven't gotten around to fixing it. The body is fine, it just needs to be sanded and sprayed again.

electriceye, Hollowway and Omzig like this.
  5. pondman

pondman Build Whore.

I burned a guitar that I just didn't like after finishing it about 7 years ago. I did it to teach myself a lesson not to build something that is not really up to my taste.
    A few of my friends were horrified :nono:

6. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Was it neck thru? if not id have just built you another neck and stocked the other one, and for my own screw up's well a fair few i'll say, some times it can be just a little thing that will throw you and make you go...im not having that...redo, other people will say wtf are you doing that's fine just sand it out...but if i know im going to see it everytime i pick it up i gotta fix it or it will end up like pondmans burner, great story btw PM made me LOL

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  7. jym

jym SS.org Regular

It is a neck through, but I caught it before the body wings had been attached and before any frets had been inserted.

Omzig likes this.
  8. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Humm in that case id have just heated/removed the fretboard cleaned up and replaced it with the one you spec'ed for...customer is always right

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

got all the way to clearcoating before realizing the finish would never cure properly (rustoleum poly spray is trash). There were other issues as well, but that one really bothered me. Ended up burning the guitar because everytime I looked at it I would get angry.

10. KR250

KR250 Build addict

No mistakes, only features! Lol. In no particular order:

Cut a neck through laminated neck too short once. Added a contour to the body after I glued the body wings on and now it makes a perfect leg rest.

Miscalculated the thickness of a neck through build that had a top going on. Had to add a piece of the neck back on through the body to reach thickness. Cosmetically not great, but still a great playing guitar.

Early build has fret slots I didn't use a template on and have some tuning issues, plus massive neck dive. Planning to come back to it at some point and turn it into a headless guitar with a new fretboard properly slotted.

11. crackout

crackout The Yellow One

On my very first build, I messed up the fret markers. Instead of putting two on the 24th fret, I ended up having one in 23rd.
    By the time I noticed (right before pressing in the frets), I couldn't believe it. Meticulously I planned the whole guitar only to dumb out there.

A year later, I pulled out the frets around the inlays, drilled that sucker out and filled the hole with a wooden disk. Luckily, the fretboard was ebony, which is very forgiving in hiding fills.

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

fixed.jpg

12. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

I’m NO luthier by any means and most of my projects just are left around because reasons, but all I’m going to say is that I’m surprised no one has posted the 23 fret Jackson Custom Shop Kelly from a few years ago...

groverj3 likes this.
  13. jym

jym SS.org Regular

He never suggested this. It was either keep it as is or start over. I’m not sure I would want my “new” guitar to have already undergone a fretboard replacement.

Hollowway likes this.
  14. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

Or the 25 fret B-7.

I'm still convinced they just put the missing fret on that guitar, haha.

15. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I had a guitar where the neck was made by the luthier, and he realized that the CNV was programmed wrong, and it wasn’t wide enough. The whole thing needed to be redone. The good news is he gave me a discount when I finally got it. The bad news is when I went to adjust the truss rod it looked like someone had hacked away at it in a drunken fury. It can’t be adjusted because it’s stripped beyond use. Said luthier later went on YouTube to chew out his customers, and subsequently drove his company into the ground.

16. jym

jym SS.org Regular

This is exactly the kind of tale of retribution I needed to keep me up at night. Thank you!