Westboro baptist church-pastor Fred Phelps is dead

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by straymond, Mar 20, 2014.

1. mr_rainmaker

mr_rainmaker Resident Cherokee

[​IMG]

he`s smoking a turn in hell...
    now don`t get me wrong,or do,don`t care,
    but westboro are about as christian as a screwdriver is to the space shuttle....

2. rectifryer

rectifryer Banned

Saying he didn't advocate violence towards homosexuals is akin towards a child that holds his finger a cm from another's and mockingly yells "I'm not touching you!"

You're right, xiaos. That is a technicallity. It's also a fallacy of accent that fails to recognize the direct effects of preaching litteral hate towards an entire demographic. I suppose I could break this down step by step and demonstrate how preaching that someone deserves to burn in hell is actually directly relateable to advocating violence against them, but if one can't see that intuitively then I suppose my words would have no effect anyways.

I am not directing anger at you guys, because we all like to play devil's advocate. I really just enjoy the fact he is dead. It feels good. .... that guy.

3. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

I'm not usually one to 'celebrate' a death but I feel a lot of people were hurt by this person and its better that he is gone.

4. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

I'm not usually one to celebrate a death either, but I don't know of anything this guy did that I could consider a positive in life.

Good riddance.

5. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

And now he will go down in history as the man who single-handedly stopped the Gay Rights movement.

Oh wait... :rofl:

6. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

I think it would be awesome if a huge throng of freaks showed up at his funeral carrying signs that said "We forgive you"

7. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

I think it'd be more awesome if nobody showed up to his funeral at all. They probably expect people to show up and picket, and doing so will just make them feel justified in whatever little persecution complexes they almost inevitably have.

I say let them sulk in silence and solitude. Don't give them the attention they crave.

Sadly, I fully anticipate at least some chuckleheads showing up with signs.

8. Watty

Watty Naturally Cynical

The mods lift the "no-WBC" rule?

9. MemphisHawk

MemphisHawk Japan's One And Only

Wasn't he one of the original pioneers of the Civil Rights Movement? Maybe he just went crazy and no one knew it.

Edit - yep, here's some quotes.

"... Fred Phelps gained a reputation as a sharp, competent civil rights attorney whose eloquent and fiery orations mesmerized juries," they wrote.

In one case mentioned by Taschler and Fry, Phelps defended 11-year-old Carla Michelle Miller, arguing that forcing blacks to attend mostly-black schools generated feelings of "inferiority as to their status in the community, thus affecting their hearts and minds in a way unlikely ever to be undone."

Phelps was honored three times for his civil rights work. In 1986 he received the Omaha Mayor's Special Recognition Award and an award from the Greater Kansas City Chapter of Blacks in Government. In 1987 he received an award from a branch of the NAACP for his "steely determination for justice during his tenure as a civil rights attorney."

Phelps arrived in Topeka, Kan., in 1954, the same year that the United States Supreme Court handed down its groundbreaking civil right decision, Brown vs. Board of Education of Topeka, Kan. That decision led to the desegregation of schools and opened up opportunities for other anti-discrimination cases.
    To win discrimination cases, though, blacks needed a lawyer to represent them. Phelps was the only lawyer in Topeka, white or black, willing to take those cases, Jack Alexander told CNN in May, 2010. Alexander was a civil rights activist who knew Phelps well in those days and later became the first black elected official in Topeka.
    "Back in that era, most black attorneys were busy trying to make a living," he said. "They couldn't take those cases on the chance they wouldn't get paid. But Fred was taking those cases."

10. mr_rainmaker

mr_rainmaker Resident Cherokee

nope he is going down in history as the only man to ever UNITE both the right and the left in celebration :hbang:

11. Svava

Svava Djento ergo sum

12. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I don't know if I'd put that only at his feet.

Imagine that you had a relative who would engage in extreme behavior... and that some in the family would say, but you can't say anything negative about that relative, because that would be judging, and judging isn't nice!

Ironically, being judgmental isn't considered a bad thing when one is talking about the Dalai Lama or Mother Teresa. If one truly were to avoid being judgmental, one couldn't even talk about Jesus being a good example.

So, if one accepts that one can be and already *is* judgmental, then there's no problem in calling a spade a spade when people behave badly.

If people of faith were quickly and loudly public about repudiating such folks as Phelps, or the American Christians who helped guide the gay death penalty legislation in Uganda, then people would know that (in this case) Christians such as Phelps and the Uganda consultants don't really represent the views of American Christians.

In the same way, if Muslims around the world had immediately, publicly and loudly repudiated the 9/11 attacks, or the fatwas against Rushdie, there wouldn't be so many assertions that Muslims don't oppose these acts, given their silence about the actions of their own.

----

Interesting, the rumor that Phelps' views softened. I don't remember a press conference where he repudiated his views publicly... so again, it's one of those things where he didn't do enough to distance himself from what he had created, and if that rumor were true, he didn't feel strongly enough about it to dismantle the organization he built. I suppose that will be between him and his god.

----

As to whether I'm glad he's no longer campaigning against my gay friends and family members, whatever the reason for him stopping, the answer is yes, I'm glad he's no longer doing so.

13. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Well this is big news man! :lol:

14. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

Reposting, because everyone who has posted on this thread so far needs to read this.

It doesn't excuse what he became, but it's interesting at least - I didn't know any of this and it came as a surprise.

15. ghostred7

ghostred7 Banned

A few good deeds doesn't outweigh the reign of filth he laid out. He mentored enough people in hate that their way of being will, unfortunately, continue long after his passing.

In lighter news, Slayer said they were going to protest the funeral if it happened based on this article:
    Slayer To Protest Westboro Baptist Church Leader Fred Phelps’ Funeral | The Tyranny of Tradition

16. petereanima

petereanima Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

17. rifftrauma

rifftrauma Trapped in time... Contributor

Stay dead Fred.....:yesway:

18. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

I think the best way to put it is the way his son did {From: Nate Phelps Issues Public Statement After His Father’s Death}:

Ray

19. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

George Takei does a good take on it too:

20. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

I believe "loudly" is the operative term here. The fact of the matter is that a) one of the things that makes moderate religious people actually moderate (adjective) in the first place is that, like people who are moderate in their politics, being highly vocal simply isn't in their nature, and b) because there's nothing particularly sensational about the views held by moderate religious folks, the media simply doesn't afford them the same platform that crazy people get, because crazy gets views. I myself have been denouncing Fred Phelps' message ever since I learned he existed. However, a) I don't bring it up on out of context, and b) the general response I've garnered can basically be summarized as "Hohum, that's nice," followed by the continued disregard of my existence.

I can't really comment too much on the issue of American Christians guiding Ugandan death penalty laws for gays for the simple fact that I didn't know they were involved. If that is the case, then yes, I agree it's certainly ignominious (not that I would have thought the Ugandan laws against gays were any less disgusting had American Christians not been involved).