Wes Hauch bringing back Alluvial

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

I hope he recruited a vocalist, the first album 100% needed one.

I always wished they went with this guy from the audition material on youtube, he added so much to the empty space on that record.

2. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

+1 on the vocalist. I dug the Alluival album but it sounded like an instrumental version which originally had vocals.

Randy and Jonathan20022 like this.
  3. anomynous

anomynous SS.org Regular

If you look at Alluvial’s Instagram page and who they’re following it’s pretty clear who’s in the band.

Wes
    Tim Walker (ex Entheos)
    Matt Paulazzo (The Zenith Passage/Aegaeon)
    Kev Muller (The Merciless Concept/ex Suffocation)

RoRo56 likes this.
  4. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

no Keith Merrow tho :(

5. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Interested to see how much different it will be without Keith Merrow for sure.
    I get why Keith didn't want to continue with Wes. As I understand it Keith pulled a bunch of strings (badum-tee) at Schecter to get Wes a signature guitar, only to have Wes switch to Ibanez before the guitar was even released. It was so weird that Schecter had the guitar in their NAMM booth as they launched it (I guess they had already done some production and didn't want to just sit on it / scrap it) while Wes had already moved on.

Still I really like Wes playing so I am definatly gonna check out the new stuff.

Wildebeest likes this.
  6. shpence

shpence SS.org Regular

Dang I didn't know that backstory but I was curious so thanks! I liked the Schecter Wes Hauch model and tried to snag one then they disappeared. Makes sense now.

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Damn I didn't realize there were burned bridges over that Schecter stuff.

bjgrifter and BusinessMan like this.
  8. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

Is it official that Keith Merrow won’t join? I have significantly less interest if he’s not there. That’s a bummer.

9. anomynous

anomynous SS.org Regular

He left years ago apparently. They didn’t ever really announce anything other than Wes being the only person listed on the FB page.

10. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

Iirc there was some drama between Wes and Schecter as well. One story i remember was relayed back in here was Wes needing a guitar on tour and Schecter basically said "too bad" despite Wes being a sponsored artist at that point.

bjgrifter likes this.
  11. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Wes was sent a few guitars that weren't up to par for touring, so he stopped using them all together.

Keith announced he was no longer working on Alluvial a few years back. I don't think they're on bad terms.

I've had a lesson with Wes he's a very to the point dude which has it's good and bad sides. He's not around for bullsh*it basically. If Schecter sent him bad guitars I can see how he would just cut things off.

12. shpence

shpence SS.org Regular

The plot thickens!

13. profwoot

profwoot SS.org Regular

Oy idk. No offense to anyone who likes these vocals, but as a huge fan of The Deep Longing for Annihilation, this might as well be the neighbor kids screaming over it.

14. RoRo56

RoRo56 SS.org Regular

Yeah Keith has been out of the project for a couple of years. It wasn't as a result of the Schecter issues though (that happened in 2016, Keith was still involved until 2018 according to his own Facebook posts).

Wes did a Q&A about a whole bunch of things last year, as a couple of guys have said above he had several issues with guitars not being up to scratch and also tour support so he left.
    He also touched on why Keith left, he didn't give much detail but I think they both wanted to take the band in different directions. Nothing dramatic really.

aesthyrian likes this.
  15. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

It surprises me that there was even the possibility for disagreement, honestly.

I always assumed the band never went anywhere for practical reasons. Wes has been in a bunch of bands over the years and seems to make his musical income through touring. Keith has always been a studio guy. He's done a couple of small clinic tours and had about a dozen dates with Alluvial, but most of his effort is invested in his studio, his Youtube channel, and whatever other stuff he has going on behind the scenes related to gear endorsements, etc. Even if Keith and Wes live in the same state, I never got the vibe that Alluvial was going to be anything more than an experimental side project that lived on the internet.

Speaking of which, the primary demographic for Alluvial's debut was probably people who watch Keith Merrow and Wes Hauch guitar playthroughs on Youtube. The reach was never huge. And with how they released the album (for free, with proceeds from streaming donated to charity), it always seemed like a one-and-done collaboration.

Anyway, I'm sure there's no bad blood or Keith Merrow wouldn't have released his claim to the band. As for Wes, he's an absolute beast of a guitar player and it's good to see him heading a project for once.

Ivars V and RoRo56 like this.
  16. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

I personally like them, but I undoubtedly believe the album required some vocals. They didn't really write a shredder record front to back, there's great leads but there's also lots of fantastic riffs and pauses that are well suited for vocals.

If not that dude, I hope they just hire someone and release an instrumental for the folks who prefer the album sans-vox.

17. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

I think the album was perfect as it is. It feels like they were writing instrumentals and then try to cram vocal in (hence the contest back then) but it wouldnt fit. Writing instrumentals and cramming vocals in is much harder than say, writing with a vocalist in mind.

18. RoRo56

RoRo56 SS.org Regular

The thing I'd really love to know is what happened to Dan Presland. He was all set to play with them on the AAL tour, he had even flown to America. He was never mentioned again and they had to scramble last minute to get someone to learn the set, a guy called Jesus Everest filled in and did a sick job.

I tried asking Wes about it during one of his Q&A things but he never replied.

Masoo2 and anomynous like this.
  19. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

That makes more sense. As I wrote my post "As I understand it [...]" as I guessed there was probably many sides to the story. Still I do remember Keith saying in a YT vid from last year that he felt 'stapped in the back' by Wes, so there is that - I will try and see if I can't find it.