Wes Borland - New Band, New Album, New Signature Model Guitar

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by eleven59, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Actually, the majority of the doubled vocals on "Nevermind" were alternate vocal takes. They did a few takes, mixed 'em all up in the mix, and basically decided to take them all rather than choosing one. They're not picture-perfect doubled vocals, but the timing and pitch is spot-on. And I happen to love the tone of his voice.

I don't think the post-chorus of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is really a good example of his songwriting, but to each their own.

For me, Kurt was the guy who played a guitar and made me think, "I want to do that." Jimi was a factor too, but with Hendrix, it was something unattainable - he was the best guitarist ever, his music was impossible to play, ask anyone (slight sarcasm intentional). But with Cobain, there was something powerful in the music and in the sound of the guitar, yet it seemed like something I could do.

So, if his music was the impetus that inspired me (as well as countless others, many of whom have also stuck with it and become fairly technically competent) to learn to play, how can that be a bad thing? If you don't like his music, that's one thing, but saying he was the worst thing to happen to guitar is somewhat off base, IMO.

Anyway, back on topic - Cobain has absolutely nothing to do with Wes Borland, and I'm sorry I started this diversion. Let's talk about him, please. :)

2. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

So, yeah, I watched that 7th Heaven video and Wes Borland has some strange ways he tuned his sevens...

3. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Wow. go take a midterm and there's like 4 pages off stuff. I have nothing to add. Both sides have been represented ;p

He actually had a cool idea for tuning, tune it like EADGBEA but down a minor 3rd.

4. Pauly

Pauly Not so local lefty

I liked his 4-string cello blaster thing. He was rocking out in F# way before Meshuggah haha. You can hear it on Nookie for example, tuned F#, F#, B, E. Crazy Mr. Borland.

5. tongueofcolicab

tongueofcolicab kali is the sweethog

just thought i'd clear up that it's three dollar bill ya'll and pollution is track two.

6. eleven59

eleven59 None shall pass. Contributor

7. Shannon

Shannon Lord Super Awesome Contributor

8. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Yeah that is pretty bland. Why are they signed? lol.

9. Shannon

Beats me. With all of his cool techniques and shit, I still have to remember that he WAS in Limp Bizkit. That explains those moments of lameness. :lol:

10. eleven59

eleven59 None shall pass. Contributor

Well, he did warn us that it'd be unlike anything he'd done before. He's clearly gone in a more industrial direction on this stuff. I like it, but it's definitely not as complex/different as I'd hoped.

I still want to see Eat The Day do something.

11. Donnie

Donnie Forum MVP

I kind of like it. Kind of Queens of the Stoneage-ish. It's not all uber-metal like everything else seems to be.

12. Shannon

I really wasn't expecting uber-metal. But, it would be cool to hear more of that 4-string tapping stuff ala the 1st LB album (aka the only great one).

13. Donnie

Donnie Forum MVP

I wasn't expecting this to be like that either. It just seems like most everything that I've been looking forward to lately has been like that. For example, I finally got the new Buckethead (Buckethead and Friends) and there are a couple of tracks that are more of that screamy/death metal style and I just skip right over them.
    And yes, I was hoping for some good ole Wes style but maybe once we here the rest of it.

14. Shannon

Slighty off topic, but how is that new Buckethead?

15. Donnie

Donnie Forum MVP

It's deffinately more song oriented than his other stuff. There is some really mellow stuff on there that's pretty good.

16. Shannon

Any nutty Buckethead shred moments? Speaking of him, there's a nice lesson from him in this month's Guitar One mag. :yesway:

17. Donnie

Donnie Forum MVP

Yeah, there's a few nutty shred parts. :shred:
    I'll have to go pick up that mag sometime.

18. tongueofcolicab

tongueofcolicab kali is the sweethog

wes was in england last week and sat and played guitar for people and someone on the armpit boards got the video. he revealed alot of new blb riffs, and he has really complex tapping riffs and insane shit that isn't really generic. those are just rough cut clips on the myspace. people need to just be patient and wait for the album.

19. Shannon

Patience? What's that? :lol:

20. bizkit666

bizkit666 She's A Waterfall

here are the video from wes in northhampton

video 1: http://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0UL7WVGFD7YZ1G6OCMU46RQZ6 its the longest of the 2 videos but abit shitty quality :s

video 2: http://s20.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0516JE3IARZ5R3S08JV54RCFF2 here is the 2nd video its the same as the 1st but better quality altho it doesnt last as long :(

thanks to trust-issues for getting these vidz!!

most people think of wes being jus a normal nu-metal guitarist....chunky chords few riffs, but he's not hes got some very cool techniques down and is a good guitar player