Were old suffo/dyingfetus type albums recorded to clicktracks?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Gmork, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Just curious if the death metal albums of the 90s were mostly recorded to clicktracks or if there were some that were not?

2. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Probably about 50/50. Lots of old-school editing/drum replacement tricks went into old school death metal.

3. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Cannibal Corpse didn't use a click in the studio until 2009. I wouldn't be surprised if other bands of the same era also didn't use clicks. Back then these bands didn't have large recording budgets and there were no at-home shortcuts, so instead of relying on digital studio magic they just rehearsed their asses off and came to the studio 110% prepared to track their parts live to tape in a very limited time frame.

TLDR; they were just better

Chanson, cwhitey2 and KailM like this.
  4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Pretty much all the 90's Dying Fetus stuff (demos and EPs) were John Gallagher recording as low budget as possible and doing all the instruments. They didn't have much of a band put together for recording until Killing On Adrenaline, and even then, my understanding is that John laid down much of the guitar and bass parts.

5. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Better, I don't know maybe just different times, players, styles, tools, and because of all that outcome. Having a drummer with exceptional sense about time must have helped a lot, and having not absolute reference of time did bring feeling of different kind of flow in songs and different parts overall. Nowadays it's not so desired in extreme metal to go all over the place that much, but I can imagine some bands doing it to have oldschool vibe in their music.

Gmork likes this.
  6. GunpointMetal

Watch or read some of the old Morrissound Studio stuff.

7. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

Carcass still don't use a click track.

Randy and Gmork like this.
  8. BlasphemyMadeFlesh

BlasphemyMadeFlesh ESP N00b

There's some awesome videos of old school recording sessions that are all over the Tube. Man, dealing with tape meant you had to have everything locked in and settled. Imagine everyone in today's ADHD metal producers scene and songwriters deal with that. To change your mind and say "I want this riff here now" meant getting out the razorblades and grease pencils and cutting block.
    I doubt many of these records pre-digital recording boom early 2000s was recorded with a click because sequencers weren't that involved. Drums were recorded first from using scratch tracks and then everything followed after.

The last one is in a local studio that used to exist in NY, Sabella Studios.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    aesthyrian, Gmork and GunpointMetal like this.
  9. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

While your question is straight forward; the context is vague. Did you notice something in an old Suffocation record that led you to believe they weren’t using a click? Do you not like using a click, and are hoping other bands from 30 years ago didn’t typically use one either, as some kind of validation for the practice? Are you trying to accurately recreate a 90’s studio sound/environment?

Spazz stringz and Schizo Sapiens like this.
  10. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Lol no nothing like that, actually its just that my band is getting ready to record and we were planning on using a click but yesterday were throwing around the idea of going clickless for a more organic sound.
    We were all on board with the idea but decided against it due to our drummers kick abilities that are fine for jamming and live performances but are a bit unruly so clicktrack and kick replacement it is!
    After that whole discussion it just got me wondering about that era of death metal. I could kind of imagine many going clickless in those days which i think is really cool, so just out of curiosity i figured id start the thread. And im glad i did as there are many interesting replies.

Spazz stringz and DudeManBrother like this.
  11. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

You could go only a click for a drummer, then record other instruments on top of drums without a click. And not too much editing for the tracks to keep it somewhat oldschool.

12. GunpointMetal

This is kinda my preferred method. Drums to a click (including tempo changes, usually gradual over a measure or two, depending), clean up the drums to get the right performance, then track everything else to the drums. I do have the click ready to go, usually for parts with long pauses, or for held out chords, just to make sure the 1 gets hit hard when there's nothing keeping a tempo going on.

Metropolis likes this.
  13. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

This is exactly what we were planning. We are not the type of band that wants/needs everything to be robotic and ultra quantized.

Metropolis likes this.
  14. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer

Metropolis's post is sound, and ideal, if your drummer has trouble keeping time (might want to pressure him to practice more, he is the backbone here). You can go that route and try a few songs totally clickless from a drum standpoint too, this will give your album a hidden layer of variance (if your drummer's up for it).

To answer your question though, tons of those bands, and a lot of current bands in that style, did not use a click to record. I get why clicks are so prevalent nowadays, convenience and all, but goddamn is it fun playing along to old Cryptopsy/Defeated Sanity songs and keep up with the sudden bursts and falls in tempo.

Fun fact, Severed Savior's Servile Insurrection sounds as tight as Rings of Saturn, and that album was NOT recorded to a click.

15. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

wow!! To the severed savior info! I never would have guessed, i love them and the opening to that album is one of my all time favs!!

aesthyrian likes this.