Well I can't seem to find my old BRJ but I did find a a 7620 so I am no longer 7-less

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by kmanick, Sep 18, 2021.

1. kmanick

kmanick Contributor

Someone on Facebook put this up and I saw it minutes after he posted it and grabbed it.
    It's got a Duncan Distortion in the bridge and the stock neck pickup but I have a Liquifire neck I'm going to put in and I may grab a BK alnico nailbomb for the bridge.
    I've got it set up pretty nicely now and she looks like a keeper. (Royal Blue but looks black in this pic).
    suddenly there are Nevermore tunes blasting in my house again after several years of radio silence LOL!
    [​IMG]
    I tried removing the "i" from the ur l but it still doesn't' want to show

2. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Nice! Love the Royal Blue but have never seen one in person.

3. Crungy

Crungy SS.org Regular

Sick! I have a 1527 that color, it looks good when you get light on it.

kmanick likes this.
  4. Randy

Randy ✝✝✝ Super Moderator

Details on that rig, at once! :coffee:

aesthyrian and kmanick like this.
  5. CovertSovietBear

CovertSovietBear Lord Bagel Supreme

Not sure why I can only see it unless I hit reply.
    Very nice.

kmanick likes this.
  6. CovertSovietBear

CovertSovietBear Lord Bagel Supreme

In case you can't see the pic:
    upload_2021-9-18_18-18-14.png

7. kmanick

kmanick Contributor

fully loaded Splawn SuperSport El-34 50 watt, with mid cut , and New/Old switches, with solo boost.
    I bought a used one that had some issues but liked it enough to have Scott Splawn build me one to my specs.
    Old MArshall JCM 800 4X12 that I had the Grill cloth replaced with checker board and a real solid pine back panel added.
    4 Scumbacks 2 M75's/2 J75's.
    The Splawn Cab has 2 M75's in it as well. Killer rig for what I've been doing (classic rock cover band ) but can easily get as heavy as I need it to
    Peavey 6505 MH on top a(can't see it in this pic) my practice/back up head. :)
    Fractal FX8 MkII for all effects in 4CM.
    How'd you get the picture to show?

aesthyrian and Randy like this.
  8. kmanick

kmanick Contributor

So for the guys that have had 7620's and 1527's is there much difference in the feel of the necks? I know early 1527's had the single skunk stripe which I believe were left over 7620 necks(I may be wrong) , but the 2 skunk stripe necks are cut visibly wider (which I actually like) but is the neck carve /back shape the same or different? the 1527 is one of the only Ibanez 7's I've never owned

aesthyrian likes this.
  9. Crungy

Crungy SS.org Regular

I haven't played a 7620, but are you talking about the neck width or the stripesl width?

10. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Nice! As for the necks you can't say by year or style, how the neck will be no matter what Ibanez says. It depends on the guitar. You either get a wide shoulders neck that feels flatter in the middle or a less wide shoulders neck that feels fatter, ime. In reality they're less than a millimeter different but the notice is huge. I've owned several 7620's over the years and they are consistent in these two feels regardless of year. You also either get a heavy body or light body one too it seems. The difference in those seem to vary within 1.5lbs. but that difference feels like a lot more. Either way the balance isn't affected and you don't get any neck dive or anything. These are awesome. - Compared to a 1527 the less wide shoulder one that feels fatter is gonna be like that. Although the 1527's can vary a little it isn't like these older 7620's. I think by the time those came around the consitencey was pretty solid. I think the older 7620's might have been finished by hand but either way it feels like they only had two machines doing all the necks because I've only even felt two types from them.
    - I think you may have got the color they called dark adriatic blue, which is much darker than the royal blue. It's also harder to get and has a deeper hue I think. It's hard to tell unti you actually see it in person.

aesthyrian and Randy like this.
  11. Randy

Randy ✝✝✝ Super Moderator

IME the 1527 feels like the 7620 with less shoulders. As far as the 7620s, some have "not there unless you think about it" shoulders and on some they're prominent, but on literally every 1527 I've played, they're essentially non existent.

c7spheres likes this.
  12. kmanick

kmanick Contributor

the actual width edge to edge, the necks with 2 stripes on them visibly have more space from the B to edge and the E to edge.
    I'm wondering if it's worth the effort of tracking one down as prices are out of control right now :( And try one one/compare it to my 7620 (which is a 98) and right now I have no issues with it , it' s a god one, just curious

Crungy likes this.
  13. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Congrats! Time to put some white pickups/bobbin tops and knobs on it!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  14. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

The neck heels are slighter wider on the 1527, which is a change that has remained on all production 7 strings Ibby's since then, so if you like the slightly narrower neck of thew 7620 you won't find it anything made after 2003. Also, the 7620 necks were hand shaped so they tend to vary quite a bit. Mine are all different. Hard to compare neck carves due to that.

c7spheres likes this.
  15. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

That's Right. Forgot about that. They went 66mm at the 24th fret to 67 then to 68mm eventually. I think it was to compensate for people slippiing the high E off the fret ends. You do have to play more precise on the high E on the older models for sure.

aesthyrian likes this.
  16. kmanick

kmanick Contributor

going off base for a second here the other "popular" Ibanez 7 I've never owned/played is the UV777, I did briefly owned a Green dot universe but never one of these
    the guy I got the 7620 from has a 99 UV777 up for sale now as well, any upgrade from the 7620 here?

17. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

The upgrade isn't in the quality but the aesthetics. The feel and tone is subjective. The only thing I'd argue is an upgrade is the 5pc neck, but some like 1pc more too because they're easier to get the back bow with.

kmanick and aesthyrian like this.
  18. kmanick

kmanick Contributor

Thanks for the replies guys
    Now I just need a bridge pickup that will work with my rig
    The Duncan is “ok” but I think we can do way better
    , I need something with muted upper mids and treble

19. ZXIIIT

ZXIIIT XIII

Try some PAF® 7s? Found a set for $56 for my RG7620 and they are amazing.

20. kmanick

kmanick Contributor

Had them in a 752AHM
    hated them but it was probably the guitar as I went through a few pickups in that thing and still couldn’t get it to sound right which is too bad because it played great