Weird thing happened after recording, anyone else?

AliceLG

\m/^_^\m/
Reaction score
Hey there. Something weird happened after I finished recording the last song I composed.

I started writing it as a challenge but then it took a life of its own so to speak. Since I've been almost exclusively dedicated to my own blend of melodic death black power thrash metal for about 2 years, I decided to challenge myself to write a song without distortion, using only the neck pup thru the clean channel in my amp and with a EHX Memory Boy on the loop. It started as a cheap rip-off of "Midnight" by Joe Satriani but I got inspired and came up with some good two-handed tapped riffs of my own.

As I continued writing it, and setting a sketch in GP5 I started to really like how it was working out. The more I composed and the more I listened to it afterwards, thru GP, the more I liked it. After finishing all guitar layers and some basic drum loops in GP I actually shed a tear the first time I heard it. Powerful shit.

Then I got into actually recording and it was a pretty intense weekend, 9+ hours tracking all instruments (4 guitars + bass) and programming drums, and then another 5-6 hours editing, EQ'ing and mixing. During the whole time I was incredibly excited, everything was working out. I think it's the best EQ/mix job I've ever done, and I was incredibly proud of that.

During mixing I could manage to bring all guitar layers together and the bass that I tracked sit perfectly in the mix and gave the groove and feel I was looking for exactly. The only thing better would've been to track it with a fretless, but I couldn't find one to borrow. For the first time I actually dedicated a good chunk of time to EQ'ing, compressing, mixing and humanizing the shit out of my programmed drums, and the result gave me goosebumps.

Then I finished mastering it, bounced an AIFF and I listened to it, finished product, for the first time. I felt nothing, or better yet, empty. I've listened to it about 10 times since Monday and nothing. I like it, it's very good, probably my best so far. But other than that, nothing.

Now when I play along, then it moves me again.

Weird?

Anyone else?

TL;DR Had an incredibly emotional experience writing and recording, only to feel nothing upon first listen of the final product

failshredder

hammer every cock
Reaction score
You wore it out. Same thing happens to me, but about halfway through writing whatever it is. :) It'll come back eventually.

Robrecht

Overall weird person
Reaction score
Very recognizable.

After recording, try listening to it in different circumstances to 'surprise' yourself and really hear it again. On your car stereo, on your shitty laptop speakers, on your headphones while riding your bike. Shuffle it with songs from other bands so that when it comes up, you're listening to it with your 'regular', more distanced, music listening ears. It can take some time but that usually speeds it up for me.

Rational Gaze

LithiumDawn Voicebox
Reaction score
That used to happen to me after the mastering/compression stage. How dynamic is the end result? Is it squashed or are there some decent peaks and valleys?

I have basically been approaching mastering/compressing the way they used to in the 70s/80s now. I cannot do the whole loudness nonsense anymore. Even for metal/heavy stuff. Just record in high resolution, and master to taste so that everything still gels and flows the way it did before. Not saying you squashed the shit out of it, but this tends to be the end result for a lot of people. The music lacks the dynamics it had before you sent it through the bus compressor. Generally, everything tends to sound more alive and organic, and emotive before it is blown up. It's just a thought.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
tapped Riffs? post that thing naaaaow :scream:

EDIT: I thought about this a little bit more....I never have taken the time to produce something with so much effort as you did, but when Im unsure of how my work is sounding (blackened unsure because if I really like what I wrote I don't care about opinions :lol: ), I just ask a few of my musician friends what they think about it, I have the luck of have honest opinions at hand because they don't hesitate to tell me if what I did sucks :lol: but they really encourage me when I made something good

have you showed your song to someone? a second opinions can really give you a second perspective

oh, and srsly, post that thing :D

Kkoznarek

Resident Cashier
Reaction score
A lot of times as a composer your body doesn't react the same way as it originally did to a piece you compose because it has gotten used to that song.

But that doesn't mean other guys won't get the same reaction you got. Post Song NOW!!!

ChrisRushing

Fretboard Acrobat
Reaction score
Sometimes the thrill is in the creation and not always fully seated in the end result. Not exactly the same thing but I have had instances where we did pre-production demos or had to re-record a previously demo'd song and the second time around was always less "moving" in an artistic sense. I wouldn't go as far as to say that it didn't turn out as good as the original recording but the process didn't give me the same high. Though I can totally relate to getting caught up in the moment and really putting time into things. I have lost entire weekends to recording/production unintentionally. It's like you get started on a Friday night and the next thing you know it's Sunday and you haven't eaten or showered for two days and there is this "thing" you have created......eh you get the point.

AliceLG

\m/^_^\m/
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, I see everyone made some very good points. I think it might also be a very different kind of "high" as with my other music. Usually after finishing one of my songs I get this aggressive high because, well, it's pretty aggressive music most of the time. This one on the other hand is so mellow and for lack of a better, more modest word, beautiful, that it's just something else.

Sometimes the thrill is in the creation and not always fully seated in the end result

Definitely, after putting 15+ completely rewarding hours of work into it, I see only 2 ways for the end result to be better/more thrilling than the journey: 15+ hours of amazing music or a record deal :lol: But that's another kind of thrill.

I'll post it soon. I handed it to a friend that wanted to get a crack at it and record me some spacey keys, just to see what comes out. Maybe I'll post this version over the weekend.

rjnix_0329

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For me, it is all about giving yourself some time away from the track. My band just went into the studio and recorded a four song EP (coming soon :D). After listening for hours upon hours, layering parts, doubling parts, and picking it apart beat by beat I grew really tired of the songs, and was afraid that the nit-picky methods we used would kill the emotion. Then, per the producer's policy, we didn't touch it for two weeks before putting it through a final mix. The first time I listened through, I started to well up and got a lump in my throat. I certainly wasn't expecting that.

The Uncreator

Control The Sun
Reaction score
This happens to me with most of my songs. I invest so much time that it becomes almost stale. Usually I will ignore it for a few days and re-examine it and it comes back.

That feeling though, of ambivalence after you finished it, man it just sucks.

Pooluke41

H. Maddas
Reaction score
Sounds really fucking good, but I know what you mean, it does sound a bit 'empty', personally I think some pads or strings in the background would help to thicken it up a little.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
One of my friends wants to do vocals to a song I finished over a year ago. It actually took me awhile to be able to listen to it again and enjoy it. I get really worn out after 15+ takes of the same god damn riff for one guitar track, I just get totally sick of hearing it.

ArrowHead

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Could be worse. I stayed up til 5 AM recently working on a super-nifty-cool track I'd been fiddling with. It all started with a cool little synth part, and grew from there. Ended up finishing and going to bed. The next day I woke up and listened to my masterpiece.

I realized the cool synth part and everything I had recorded after were basically "Take Me Home Tonight" by Eddie Money.

MatthewK

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
See what you do is forget about it, stop listening to it. Then when you stumble upon it some months later and give it a listen you'll be like ERMAHGERD.

TheBotquax

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If it sounds good to you the first 50 times you play, then it'll sound good to any listener the first time they hear it!

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Hey there. Something weird happened after I finished recording the last song I composed.

I started writing it as a challenge but then it took a life of its own so to speak. Since I've been almost exclusively dedicated to my own blend of melodic death black power thrash metal for about 2 years, I decided to challenge myself to write a song without distortion, using only the neck pup thru the clean channel in my amp and with a EHX Memory Boy on the loop. It started as a cheap rip-off of "Midnight" by Joe Satriani but I got inspired and came up with some good two-handed tapped riffs of my own.

As I continued writing it, and setting a sketch in GP5 I started to really like how it was working out. The more I composed and the more I listened to it afterwards, thru GP, the more I liked it. After finishing all guitar layers and some basic drum loops in GP I actually shed a tear the first time I heard it. Powerful shit.

Then I got into actually recording and it was a pretty intense weekend, 9+ hours tracking all instruments (4 guitars + bass) and programming drums, and then another 5-6 hours editing, EQ'ing and mixing. During the whole time I was incredibly excited, everything was working out. I think it's the best EQ/mix job I've ever done, and I was incredibly proud of that.

During mixing I could manage to bring all guitar layers together and the bass that I tracked sit perfectly in the mix and gave the groove and feel I was looking for exactly. The only thing better would've been to track it with a fretless, but I couldn't find one to borrow. For the first time I actually dedicated a good chunk of time to EQ'ing, compressing, mixing and humanizing the shit out of my programmed drums, and the result gave me goosebumps.

Then I finished mastering it, bounced an AIFF and I listened to it, finished product, for the first time. I felt nothing, or better yet, empty. I've listened to it about 10 times since Monday and nothing. I like it, it's very good, probably my best so far. But other than that, nothing.

Now when I play along, then it moves me again.

Weird?

Anyone else?

TL;DR Had an incredibly emotional experience writing and recording, only to feel nothing upon first listen of the final product

It actually happens to me with every single song I write or wrote in my entire life. I hate my songs... I always love the ideas at the beggining, but when I play them with a band, I start to cringe when I heard the materialized idea. Whereas I get excited with other people's riffs... it makes me fucking sick, but it always happens :ugh:

AliceLG

\m/^_^\m/
Reaction score
I've been getting good feedback from it, that makes me happy :D I haven't given it a listen in about 4-5 days and it's already in my iPod swimming in death and black metal waters. When the Shuffle God decides it's time to listen to it I hope I get that same feeling again.