Weird budget interface question

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Quitty, May 26, 2014.

1. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

So, i've been using an M-audio 192 for the past couple of years and it has served me well enough -
    i mostly record and play back through s/pdif and for the odd analog job i've got external preamps.
    The only real problem is the lack of software routing - i can't monitor both the s/pdif input and the wave out, for example.

I'm looking for the cheapest possible interface that has coax s/pdif and flexible routing - i'd like to be able to route effect inserts for inputs, for example (take an analog input, send it out to an effect, take it back in and then monitor the result).
    I've also been hearing all sorts of badness from firewire and older USB interface users who say they run out of bandwidth - i'm admittedly an enthusiast, but i do get to work with several dozen tracks on occasion.

So, i've looked at the E-MU 0404 PCI which seems to fit the bill but i'm wondering if there's better, or if there's anything i'm missing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19 Playing life by ear

Check out the Focusrite Scarlett series, if you haven't already. I have the 6i6 and it has loads of ins and outs on the back (including s/pdif in/out) and the software routing seems like it'd fit what you're looking for.

You didn't specify just how cheap it needed to be, though. You can get the 6i6 for around $199 new if you search (I was patient and caught mine on sale from an eBay seller).

It's USB (2.0), but it's served to be quite reliable for me over the time I've owned it.

From what I've researched (taking consideration for my limited experience) it seems like the E-MU PCI card may have the best bang-for-the-buck... at least from reading the features list and limited reviews I've found.

3. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

Question is what's the cheapest i can get.
    Scarletts would be great, other than i would have to get the 6i6. I'd do with the 2i2, but there's no s/pdif.

As it stands, i'm not sure i'd get anything for doling out the extra cash for a USB interface - but i'm not sure.

4. Rook

Rook Electrifying

You could get a PRO 14 for similar money and gain the FireWire/Thuderbolt ability over the 6i6, but Saffire/Scarlett mix control is definitely worth having either way.