Warmoth, a 40 year retrospective

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by TonyFlyingSquirrel, Apr 24, 2021.

1. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Couldn't help but get misty eyed at 14:10. I was honored at the age of 41 to transition out of one career that I had been burned out of after 17 years to go to work for one of the most innovative and influential luthiers in the business, with a personal recommendation and phone call by my other favorite luthier and personal friend Neal Moser. Finally, after many years of perusing catalogs and long distance phone calls to ask questions and gain knowledge, I was now in a position to give something back. I greatly enjoyed my time there, and when the economy forced a layoff a year later, I was nothing but thankful. Even after I left, Ken and I still stayed in touch for a few more years, and if I was in the neighborhood and saw his truck in the parking lot of the shop on a Saturday morning, I would pop in just to say ”hi” when Ken always followed up with a short tour of “what’s new”. Well into his 60’s, he was a kid in his own candy store. It can never be overstated just how much of an impact that he has had on the guitar manufacturing industry, with many comments from his own peers.
    RIP Ken Warmoth.

StevenC, Empryrean, budda and 10 others like this.
  2. Marked Man

Marked Man SS.org Regular

RIP far too soon. Only the good....

Thanks for founding such a great company. I often get very excited brainstorming about my next Warmoth project. More often than I do about production line guitars. :cheers:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  3. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

RIP. Warmoth is, and always has been, a great company. I have two bodies and two necks 10 feet from me as I write this. He allowed a bunch of us to pretend we were luthiers and builders, by giving us the top of the line parts that we could assemble.

CanserDYI likes this.
  4. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

More than that, Warmoth improved the general awareness of guitar construction and specification by allowing customization of every part of the instrument. Just the online quote-maker alone was remarkably influential. I can't say for certain it was the first one available, but it's definitely the one every manufacturer imitated when offering online custom shop orders thereafter.

Hollowway and vilk like this.
  5. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Beauty can't be seen through the eyes

RIP Ken Warmoth, I have spent countless hours fantasizing about my next build, spending days in Photoshop and the builder just pouring over all sorts of ideas and color schemes and all sorts of things.

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Gotta thank Warmoth for being one of the single biggest, most consistent sources of income for independent techs for decades.

By convincing any old schmo that a high end custom shop guitar was a LEGO set style build away I was able to make a decent living off of fixing those awful builds and got a ton of practice in picking up necks for pennies on the dollar.

I'm being 100% serious and honest. I'm not sure if I would have made it through the mid/late 00's financial crisis without them.

Great company, full of great people, now minus one. But I have complete faith in the team now.