Warhammer 40k Megathread

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
That was my initial response :lol:

Ages and ages ago there was a fan release of a Wh40K RPG based on the WFRP rules but this....this looks awesome.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Meh... I much prefer Inquisitor. It's just not the same without the toy soldiers.

I love the toy soldiers also - I just think this is going to appeal to a wider section of the market because its not always convenient to set up Battle Boards, and of course not everyone has the skill/time to paint the required number of models....:)

(although a WFRP campaign I played in that exclusively used models was a lot of fun - full dungeon scenery and a small donation from players each week to allow the GM to get any figures he didn't have)

Tiger

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I totally admit I'd like to play a tabletop war game, because that shit sounds very fun. I love chess, if I can play that shit for hours then playing something with tanks shouldnt be hard.

Is there like a realistic game out there, with real life weapons and not fantasy?

Warhammer sounds very very big, how do you even get started in it?

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
To start warhammer, buy one of the sets. They have like "starter sets" which have a softcover copy of the rules, and 2 playable armies in there :) The best way to start :yesway:

The starter sets are always based around the predominant "story" of the current edition as well, its great.

Or, if you want, just go in and see what army you like the look of, and ask the guys there what you'll need to play. It may be a little more expensive that way, cos you could buy more specific units and whatnot, and you'll still need a rulebook, but its definitely worthwhile.

Tiger

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well I rape the shit out of people on DoW 2 as Eldar. I guess I would play as them. If I can play the game without having to know all the ridiculous sci-fi fantasy lore then I will try it in a few years. Or maybe they will come out with something better.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Eldar = :yesway::D

well tbh all you 'need' to know, is the army list. As long as you know how to put an army together, then you're fine :shrug: Its just kinda cool looking through the army book/codex and theming the army :cool: You can get battle-forces for each army too, which is basically a 2,000 point army (enough for around a couple of hours of gaming at least) so that may be a place to start :)

ZeroSignal

Appreciates Kwolity
Contributor
Reaction score
Well I rape the shit out of people on DoW 2 as Eldar. I guess I would play as them. If I can play the game without having to know all the ridiculous sci-fi fantasy lore then I will try it in a few years. Or maybe they will come out with something better.

One thing I will say (not to discourage you, now ;)) is that Eldar are very fast, and VERY fragile. They're definitely not a beginners army but if you like them as a race then I'd say go for it! But beware the shallow learning curve...

2000 point is equivalent to how many figure things.

Each model is worth a set number of points. This represents overall power and rarity. A single Imperial Space Marine is worth 16 points. He's very strong, very tough and has very good weapons and equipment. Conversely, an Imperial Guardsman (normal human soldier guy :D) is only about 4 points. He's not very strong, he's not very tough, he's not very good, and his weaponry and equipment are a bit shite but you can have 4 Guardsmen for every Marine that the enemy has.

A single Eldar Guardian is worth about 8 points. His stats are about the same as a human except he's faster.

Tanks and other vehicles cost points too. A Rhino transport tank costs only 35 points as it's not much good for anything other than getting men from point A to point B. However, a Leman Russ Battle Tank can cost upwards of 150 points. And a Baneblade Super Heavy Battle Tank costs a whopping 500 points!

It all depends on your playing style. A horde army will have a lot of bodies on the field to swamp the enemy or otherwise have target saturation. In fact, the Tyranids can generally win games because they simply have more gribbly monster things than the enemy could ever possibly shoot.

Elite armies like Imperial and Traitor Space Marines can't put very many men on the ground but can normally kick the shit out of anything they come across.

What I think you should do is check out this page here to get started: Games Workshop

And check out this page to see what army you like the look of:
Games Workshop

Hope that helps you, dude. :yesway:

With Eldar, i think aruond 25 to 30? I was actually wrong, just looked it up, itd probably be about a 1,000point army. A good way to start though.

Go here and have a look. Its second on the list: Eldar Box Sets, Blisters & Codex

Dude, sorry but that's nowhere near a 1000 point army. Maybe two of them would be 1000 -1500.

Tiger

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Oh man I cant rep you Zero but I do appreciate the info. In a couple of years I'll maybe sort of have the time.

My big question is, why on earth do they not have a digital version of the table top game? Yea I get Dawn of War but thats not the same at all. They had one for Battletech, like over a decade ago but nothing for Warhammer? Silly.

ZeroSignal

Appreciates Kwolity
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking about making some cultists to proxy as the mutants from the Lost and The Damned Apocalypse datasheet from Games-Workshop.com. I was considering just getting WHFB Empire Flagellants and WH40K Catachan Jungle Fighter boxes and just mixing them up. And then using the old 40K Mutation sprue to make possessed cultists to count as Big Mutants. I really think it would work and it would only cost me about €50 for the whole project.

What do you think? I'm a Word Bearer player and I can get my Daemon fix from the Codex list but I'm really hankering for some Cultist action... :(

Oh man I cant rep you Zero but I do appreciate the info. In a couple of years I'll maybe sort of have the time.

My big question is, why on earth do they not have a digital version of the table top game? Yea I get Dawn of War but thats not the same at all. They had one for Battletech, like over a decade ago but nothing for Warhammer? Silly.

It would be very hard to digitise the game, I think.

There are so many variables to the game that would be hard to represent. Plus, if given the choice of playing a digitised Warhammer and a real, table top game I'd take the table top game any day. There's something about collecting and painting the models that appeals to me.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Dude, sorry but that's nowhere near a 1000 point army. Maybe two of them would be 1000 -1500.

Man i should just stop, my estimation skills are just fucked today :lol: Sorry for said bit of misinformation, Tiger :ugh:

As far as the learning curve goes though, Eldar are pretty hard to get at first, but if you enjoy being a tactician, then they're definitely one of the more in depth armies that really pay off for those who can be bothered really setting up every part of the army, and once you get the hang of them (which doesn't take as long as you may think) then they're very rewarding to play as :yesway::yesway:

Unfortunately, however, they dont have the strength or toughness of, say, a Space Marines army.

Also, so far as the "fragile" thing goes, they are no more or less fragile than Imperial Guard (basic humans), and some of their units actually have better armour than the human guys too (so you have more of a chance of them not dying them after your opponent tries to shoot/slice/generally kill them) :) I never quite understood why everyone looked at them as "the fragile army" tbh, but everyone seems to :shrug:

ZeroSignal

Appreciates Kwolity
Contributor
Reaction score
Man i should just stop, my estimation skills are just fucked today :lol: Sorry for said bit of misinformation, Tiger :ugh:

As far as the learning curve goes though, Eldar are pretty hard to get at first, but if you enjoy being a tactician, then they're definitely one of the more in depth armies that really pay off for those who can be bothered really setting up every part of the army, and once you get the hang of them (which doesn't take as long as you may think) then they're very rewarding to play as :yesway::yesway:

Unfortunately, however, they dont have the strength or toughness of, say, a Space Marines army.

Also, so far as the "fragile" thing goes, they are no more or less fragile than Imperial Guard (basic humans), and some of their units actually have better armour than the human guys too (so you have more of a chance of them not dying them after your opponent tries to shoot/slice/generally kill them) :) I never quite understood why everyone looked at them as "the fragile army" tbh, but everyone seems to :shrug:

I view Eldar as being fragile because they have men that are just as tough as Guardsmen but at twice the cost. Also, Guard have Leman Russ battle tanks with battle cannons and 14/13/11 armour. Eldar... don't. :lol:

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
But eldar have TEH AVATAR :scream:

:lol: Their weaponry also kick the shit out of lasguns. I fucking hate lasguns :squint:

They also have the prism cannon... Prism Cannon + aspect warriors + Phoenix Lords = recipe for win.

To be fair though, it is all a matter of how you play :shrug: All the armies are pretty much balances, but in their own way. So Eldar dont have many (any? :scratch:) units with exceptional toughness, but they make up for that in speed, and awesome weaponry. The Space marines are strong and powerful, but they arent terribly fast, and are expensive in terms of points (so you cant have as many models in an army of the same cost as Eldar), and Imperial Guard may just be humans, but they are SO cheap you can have 4 times as many models as any other army, and sport some of the best tanks in the game. :)

JunkMan

The Man Of Shred
Reaction score
weapon skill
ballistics skill
strength
toughness
wounds
inicitive
attacks
leadership
armour save