Wanting to switch out my active pickups for passive please chime in

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Kristianx510, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Kristianx510

Kristianx510 SS.org Regular

I'm playing an ESP LTD SC-607B, and want to change out the stock
    EMG's for some passive pickups. My first choice would be some dimarzios but from the dimensions on their website, they wouldn't fit in the route. Has anyone done this? If so how did it work for you? If you have picture that would make my life a ton easier.

2. runbirdman

runbirdman Lackawanna County Volunteer Sheriff's Deputy Contributor

I would look into putting some active routed, passive Seymour Duncans that will fit perfectly. If you are deadset on DiMarzios, they make pickup rings that make passives fit in an active route without having a huge gap on the top and bottom.

Emperoff likes this.
  3. Halikus

Halikus SS.org Regular

Other than getting some pickups in soapbar format/pickup rings to cover the enlarged routes (just get soapbars as massive rings look ........)the other things to keep in mind are you will neded to swap out all the pots and caps as active pickups ten to use 1meg pots and you will want 500k the other potentially more troublesome issue depending on how brave you are with power tools and your guitar is that the bridge will need to be earthed and guitarmakers tend not to bother if they fit active pickups in the factory. This will mean drilling from the underside of the bridge to the control cavity in order to run the earth wire. Good luck.

4. Jaxcharvel

Jaxcharvel SS.org Regular

I have an scT-607b and didn't like the stock actives either. I ended up making a black pickguard for it without the ridiculous middle pickup cutout and then installed a single Pegasus active mount in the bridge and wired the switch to both coils series, both coils parallel, and neck coil split. Very simple guitar that is much more versatile that it appears.

5. DiscoSteve

DiscoSteve SS.org Regular

I know this is years later, but if you don't mind me asking, how did you go about grounding your passive Pegasus to the bridge? I am installing Bareknuckle Nailbombs in a ESP LTD SCT-607b and there is no route for the ground wire. So I'm looking at having the ground wire come out from under the top plate and connect to the bridge pin which would be visible.

6. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Before anyone suggests BKP Soapbars, I'll warn you the mounting holes don't match EMG ones (duh). If the cavities are not too tight you can wiggle them a bit and make them fit a bit off-center but if space is restricted you won't be able to fit them.

That leaves you with Seymour Duncan, Elysian, Guitarmory and Lundgren.

Oh, and don't forget about the ground wire.

7. DiscoSteve

I just got the soapbars and you are correct, the holes are slightly off. Also, the soapbar perfectly fits one pickup cavity but the middle one is much larger. Could be why my guitar is B-stock.

I’m going to put a toothpick and some Titebond wood glue to fill the holes and drill new screw holes to fit my Nailbombs.

Are the Seymore Duncan’s you speak of already aligned with the EMG holes?

As far as the ground wire with the ESP LTD SCT-607b, you only have the small plate on top which doesn’t leave much room to drill a hole. You could drill from the pickup cavity. But even then, I’m not sure what the best way to connect the ground wire to the bridge post would be. I would probably have to take out the female screw ground post which is probably glued in. For now I’m going to do it the ugly way. I’ll run my ground wire out of the plate and wrap it around the bridge screw and set the bridge on top of it to hold it in place. There will be about an inch of wire exposed but it should do the job until I eventually get another 7 (with passives this time) to put these Bareknuckles in. In which case I’ll probably put the EMG’s or maybe another active back into the Steph C.

I’ve attached a pic so you can see what I’m talking about.

Attached Files:

8. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

I’m going to be “that guy” and suggest maybe give Fishmans a shot? You wouldn’t need to solder anything and I haven’t had issues returning via Amazon or Guitar Center - I’ve just been careful not to mess them up or modify them when I tried them (even left the film on, pulling up just the sides to get them into the rout).

I’m no loyalist convert, I just like variety and enjoy the Modern set I have in my 7 quite a bit.

9. DiscoSteve

I was interested in those but I don't think I can return Bareknuckles, however, I'm sure they will sound great once I get them in. I watched a video on installing the Fishman Fluence and it looked like quite a bit of soldering as well as still needing a bridge ground wire. Are you talking about a different pickup?

10. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Totally missed that point, sorry. Two things:
    1. Most guitars I’ve played that came stock with EMG pickups were still grounded to the bridge (obviously not the case with yours).
    2. If it was grounded, you wouldn’t need to solder a thing just to try them out - they have the same primary connector as EMGs. The new pots etc. come into play when you want to change settings on the fly (you can try out everything with jumpers initially, but you’d have to remove the pickups each time).

Truth be told I was responding to the original post! :)

11. Runander

Runander SS.org Regular

If you still want high output pickups I would really recommend Lundgren M. Those are fantastic passive pickups and there's two versions, one looking like a regular pickup and one looking like an EMG https://lundgren.se/en/mics/humbucker-e/m6c/

12. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Usually there should be a hole from the control cavity going to the bridge post even in guitars coming with active electronics. If not and you're drilling a hole yourself you're a brave man than I am lol!

13. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I have a PRS Torero that came stock with EMGs, no ground wire on mine either :( Sucks

Edika likes this.
  14. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Damn I can understand not being needed in a guitar with active pickups but everyone knows that guitarists will 80% of the time swap the existing pickups. Unless is a cost saving measure for the Asian factories.

Matt08642 likes this.
  15. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Well, the PRS Torero is a floyd equiped guitar so is "easy" to go for the floyd springs claw... a lot less risky than going thru the top of the guitar to reach the bridge posts so in the case of a floyd equipped guitar I would worry too much if I have to drill a hole from the springs cavity to the controls cavity.

16. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Lol right? In fairness I love the EMGs in it (Previous owner swapped them for Blackouts, I bought EMGs to bring it back to stock), I just wish I had the option

Haha yep, I know exactly where I'd be drilling the hole for the claw wire, just need to go buy a super long bit that will accommodate the angle I'd need to drill at if I ever end up swapping these. I am a firm believer that everyone needs a Drop C EMG-loaded guitar though :D

Zhysick likes this.
  17. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

That is absolutely true. So true it hurts!