Want to move away from EMGs, what else is awesome? What do the cool kids use now?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by wannabguitarist, Jan 5, 2017.

1. zjb7777

zjb7777 SS.org Regular

I have an EMG 57/66 set in a mahogany body/maple neck Ibanez S and they're very good. Articulate, dark, but not muddy at all. I run them through a Peavey 6505 MH and I don't even need a boost because they're so powerful and it's such a heavy, saturated sound. They really sound like passives and get more dynamic with a little roll back on the volume. It's an easy fix because you already have EMGs. If you're having issues with muddiness, it may be because of the shorter scale length so the first thing I would try is a set of a little bit thicker strings. If you're truly set on passives, I would go with DiMarzio Titans because of how articulate they are, and they have this characteristic 'purr' to them that Jake even mentioned in his DiMarzio demo. It's a smooth, but modern sounding distortion. I have the bridge model in an ESP LTD M-1000 and it sounds really good. Although it has a poor shielding job due to it coming stock with EMGs and me being lazy :lol: if you want a similar sound to the Titans, still articulate, tight and bright, I'd recommend the Dimarzio D Activator bridge. Really great pickup. I have both and would recommend either in an instant for a guitar with passives from the factory. But if you're lazy like me, try out the EMG 57/66 set, I don't think you'll regret it. Here's a link to a set priced at $200 if you're interested http://www.ebay.com/itm/282284349191
    Edit: I should've mentioned, I use both the Titan and 57/66 set in drop a, so they should also sound good, clear and articulate in drop C.

2. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

3. ZXIIIT

ZXIIIT XIII

EMG 81X

:cool:

4. BearOnGuitar

BearOnGuitar SS.org Regular

+1 on the Fishman Fluence Moderns. There's just nothing like it.

5. Lasik124

Lasik124 SS.org Regular

This list seems accurate to me.

Check em out!

6. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Find a guitar store that has a bunch of these if you can. Find the most similar amp to what you have and adjust the settings accordingly. Then A/B the different pickups and see what YOU think. Sometimes hard to do, but so worth it. I was fortunate to have a store 10 min away where I could do this.

7. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

It seems, that the 57/66 is ideal for this wood combo, because you confirm my findings with my Schecter Hybrid.

But there is something more worth mentioning, which you reminded me of:

I have a different recommendation here ... I play Gibson Brite Wires in .10-.46 for E Standard on my Hybrid (25.5" scale) and they seem to be the ideal strings for the EMG 57/66 set ... a huge improvement over the stock Earnie Ball Slinkies.

So I highly recommend every 57/66 owner to test them on a six string ... for a 7-string you could combine them with a low B from a D'Addarrio XL set. These two brand are similar, but the Gibsons have a longer life time, a clearer high end and a much better feel, though they are also made by D'Addarrio as far as I know, but to different specks as it seems.

8. juka

juka SS.org Regular

+1 for Fishman if you want to stay active :hbang:

Used EMGs for over 20 years almost exclusively. EMG85/60 combo was my all time fav until 57/66 came out, which I instantly fell in love with. Great pickups.

Got a great deal on a Fishman Fluence modern set and although I was pretty sure that I wouldn't like them (as the the Modern Ceramic allegedly was modeled after a 81, which I hate) the deal was too good to let it pass.
    So, I tried them out and I was totally stoked, because they are even more dynamic, "3D-like" sounding than the 57/66.
    Immediately got a Townsend signature set for my other guitar, which is something like the 81TW/89 combo in functionality, but with Fluence achievements.

9. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

Just getting curious ... I guess you need new wiring, when exchanging EMGs or Blackouts against the Fishmans?

I have Blackouts in my Mayones Regius 7 (Swamp Ash body) and am still asking myself, if other actives might sound even better in this guitar ... good dynamics are wanted for the nice cleans of this guitar. But I fear, that would be a one way ticket, because the Blackouts have curved edges, so there would be no direct fit into the cavity.

10. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

Fishman recommends a different cap value for the tone pot than EMGs or Seymour Duncans.

That said I swapped Blackouts for Fluence Moderns and just left the existing wiring intact. I'm not really using the tone pot anyways :)

Putting Fluences in your Regius probably won't work yea due to the rounded Blackout corners.

11. juka

juka SS.org Regular

Yes and no. To just try them out you can just unplug your EMGs and plug in the Fishmen ;-) because the connectors are the same and the pots have the same values.
    To use all the options they offer to full extend, like Voice1/2, HF Tilt, SC,..., you will need to use the push-pull-pots and cables included in the set.

12. juka

juka SS.org Regular

By the way, I'm in no way affiliated with Fishman!

But if Ken Susi likes what I write about them, he can feel free to send me some pickups for free :lol::lol::lol:

13. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

I fear the same applies to any other potential pickup alternative too (incl. 57/66), right? ... except some passives.

14. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

Dimarzio's a good transition back into passives, if that's the route you want to go. They still have some of the compressy quality to them, but with that obvious passive dynamic. I'd personally recommend the Evolution, Super Distortion or Tone Zone.

I always recommend Bill Lawrence's L500's when someone's looking for passive humbuckers- cleanest damn humbucker I've ever used, and sounds exceptional with shorter-scaled Gibson-type guitars.

As for what the cool kids are using...
    Remember how the "cool kids" in High School would buy all this horribly overpriced clothing, and they'd swear up and down that it was worth it, but, really, it wasn't much better than cheap stuff you could find at Target or Penny's?
    Yeah... don't be like the cool kids...

15. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

Well the EMG retro active are uncovered so you can try those. Maybe in the near future EMG will sell their standard line pickups without cover.

Also SD custom shop makes uncovered versions of any of their active pickups.

16. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

Am I blind or are these 6-string only?

I thought the Loomis Blackouts maybe might be nice, but they aren't available with round edges as it seems. You think, this would be possible in custom shop?

17. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

I just went ahead and put an offer in for these :lol:

EDIT: And they're mine

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  18. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

Seems that way :/ Maybe in the near future they'll make 7 string versions.

I think they'll make anything in the custom shop :) Best bet is to contact SD I guess.

19. Dooky

Dooky SS.org Regular

Yeah, I would say it seems most of the cool kids are gravitating towards Fishman these days. Meanwhile, I'm still rockin' out on my Dimarzio PAF Pros like it's 1989 (which I love).

20. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

I dunno, every thread I see of someone asking for pickup recommendations, it's always Nazgul, 57/66, and a long list of BKPs. I sometimes forget Fishman even exists.