Want delay that's not MXR Carbon Copy

Gallardo147

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm looking for a delay, preferably analog, that will give me versatility to experiment with. I like the carbon copy and will definitely keep in on my radar for when I make my final choice, but would like other suggestions!
I've read some great things about the Malekko 616 (and specifically the Dark version); I've seen the regular for about $100 used and the dark for about $125. I've also read some great things about the Catalinabread Belle Epoch, which I can find for about $150. What other great pedals that are in that <$200 range should I be looking at?

mniel8195

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The belle epoch is great but you can't turn off the preamp in th ebox and it changed your ton quite a bit which i hated. Save up just a bit more and buy an el capistan. It is the single best delay pedal i have ever owned. You can really dial in your tone with the secondary functions, spring reverb, and it i has great buffer built in. It also has a multi head function and tap tempo. Lastly it sits back really nice when using high gain you can leave it on all the time no problem.

Bearitone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been dying to try an Obscura Altered Delay.
Looks like it has lots of tweakability for its size and simplicity of its controls

There's also the TC Flashback. It comes with Toneprint which lets you design your own delay from the ground up. I played around with it for a little bit on my flashback and it was fun. I think if you want the most versatility while staying in your budget, this would probably be the way to go.

Also, I just checked out the Malekko Ekko 616 and its badass!

Gallardo147

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been dying to try an Obscura Altered Delay.
Looks like it has lots of tweakability for its size and simplicity of its controls

There's also the TC Flashback. It comes with Toneprint which lets you design your own delay from the ground up. I played around with it for a little bit on my flashback and it was fun. I think if you want the most versatility while staying in your budget, this would probably be the way to go.

Also, I just checked out the Malekko Ekko 616 and its badass!

Yeah the TC Flashback look like a good one but I'm trying to go the analog route unless I find a really compelling pedal! I've been using too many uber digital multi-effects pedals and am only now trying to get away from all that haha. But right?? The Malekko looks awesome and the dark model in particular is very beautiful sounding.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Keeley Caverns.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
EHX Memory Boy Deluxe. A friend of mine has one and it's a nice analog delay with a tap tempo, selectable subdivision, and controls for modulation.

I used to have a Carbon Copy and loved how it sounded, but I prefer to have a tap tempo and more flexibility

rokket2005

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you want to go analog the Moog minifooger is really nice and sounds great, I recommend it over the carbon copy. The el cap is cool too, but it's digital emulation of tape reverb.

Bearitone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah the TC Flashback look like a good one but I'm trying to go the analog route unless I find a really compelling pedal! I've been using too many uber digital multi-effects pedals and am only now trying to get away from all that haha. But right?? The Malekko looks awesome and the dark model in particular is very beautiful sounding.

I totally respect that and seeing the Malekko has made me think I wan't to do the same with my delay :) It just sounds really nice

Gallardo147

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I totally respect that and seeing the Malekko has made me think I wan't to do the same with my delay :) It just sounds really nice

I may just end up going with it unless people throw out other possible options that won't break the bank too much, looks very solid

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
EQD Disaster Transport is pretty underrated. It's analog-voiced so you get the best of both worlds and the tone knob can keep you in that warmer, analog sounding delay land or push toward the slightly brighter side without getting into the usual, overly-pristine digital realm. I've got the one with the switchable modulation, which is very cool if you're into modulated delays.

MYGFH

Music your GF hates
Reaction score
Maybe my Malekko 616 was faulty but it was horrible. It has totally put me off of ever wanting another analog delay. I now have the TC Electronic Flashback. It is what I expect a delay to be, transparent. I also like that I can adjust the amount of bypass signal.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Maybe my Malekko 616 was faulty but it was horrible. It has totally put me off of ever wanting another analog delay. I now have the TC Electronic Flashback. It is what I expect a delay to be, transparent. I also like that I can adjust the amount of bypass signal.

Analog delays aren't for you if you want transparent. Hence why you've gravitated more towards digital.

Analog delays are warmer and darker tone and each delay signal distorts, degrades and spills in between signals. It's not perfect and transparent, but it's also the appeal.

Digital delays perfectly replicate the initial signal as a crisp transparent tone.

downburst82

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love my jhs panther cub (out of your preferred price range I know) and boss dm2w for my analog delay sounds but another great one worth checking out is the VFE Blueprint :yesway:.

59Bassman

Contributor
Reaction score
Typically I don't associate analog delays with versatility. However, the Boss DM-2w is a great sounding delay. I have an original DM-2, and the Waza version gets the same tone in the standard mode, plus adds a bunch more delay time in the custom mode. Worth looking at for analog.

However, I am completely and totally addicted to the 2290 mode in the Flashback. To me, that's what a "clear" delay should sound like. The DM-2w is there for slapback and "colored" delay.

wakjob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Analog delay! ?
iough.gif

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
For the price of the Panther cub you can get a Boss DD-500 which will have *many* more options.

downburst82

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I will also throw another "outside the box" option at you.

I recently just got a zoom ms-70cdr and it is a really cool pedal! I got it without much intention of using its delay sounds since I have 4 other delays on my board...but I have wound up having alot of fun with the delays. I really thought the carbon copy algorithm on it sounded great and it lets you adjust the modulation more as well. Considering you can get them new for $100 or used for $50-$75 they are a bargain.

Gallardo147

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I will also throw another "outside the box" option at you.

I recently just got a zoom ms-70cdr and it is a really cool pedal! I got it without much intention of using its delay sounds since I have 4 other delays on my board...but I have wound up having alot of fun with the delays. I really thought the carbon copy algorithm on it sounded great and it lets you adjust the modulation more as well. Considering you can get them new for $100 or used for $50-$75 they are a bargain.

Ooooh I may actually look into that, it would give me lots of options with the reverb as well!