Wah Problems

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by RLG167, Sep 22, 2018.

1. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

Hey guys, I have a Morley Bad Horsie II wah, it's been my only wah for about 6 years and it's always been extremely reliable. But starting a couple days ago when I step on it to engage the wah, the volume cuts through most of the sweep and only returns to full volume once I have the pedal all the way down. The settings are the same that I always use on the contour, and it's doing it with the contour on and off. Does anyone know why it may be doing this? I've never had a problem like this in the years I've owned it. I bought a Dunlop Kirk Hammett Crybaby today just so I have something to use, but I still want to see if I can fix my Morley.
    Thanks for any help!

2. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Does it make a scratchy sound when it cuts out? If so it could just be a dirty pot. Get some electrical contact cleaner, spray it on/in the pot and then rotate it and that should be good

3. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Could need a good cleaning possibly.

4. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

Thanks guys, I'll get some cleaner today and see how it goes. Honestly I was using my new Hammett Crybaby last night and really like it, so if I can fix the Morley I'll probably just keep it as a spare

The906 likes this.
  5. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I take it there's no chance of it developing a faulty switch due to it not coming with the capacity to be turned off?

6. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

There are no pots in the Bad Horsie. It's optical. I wouldn't use electrical contact cleaner just yet. Maybe canned air for now.

That being said, you can open the bad horsie and clean up the optical switch. I have had the bad horsie and the tremonti and they could have these problems if dust or some debris gets in the way of that led light in the optical switch. The way that it works is that led light shoots its light to a cardboard like shield with a light sensor behind it. Some debris or dust gets in the way behind these parts so when you toe down to switch on, the sound cuts off because those particles block the light from touching the sensor. Use a gentle brush or canned air, first and see if the problem goes away.

Alex79, RLG167 and Matt08642 like this.
  7. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

Okay thanks I'll give some compressed air a try. I'm not very well versed on pedals, so if it's still not working after the compressed air I'll post a picture of it opened up and see if any of you guys see anything

8. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Yes, sorry, my apologies, I thought as a Morley user you'd know this. They are optical and can accumulate dirt inside. So no electrical cleaner, except maybe for the cable jacks. I have the George Lynch Morley Wah btw.

9. MASS DEFECT

That's my current wah. The Lynch Dragon 2 is just bad@ss specially in Wow mode. Can get that deep growling Zakk Wylde wah sweep.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  10. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

It's funny, I actually went to the store with the intention of getting a Lynch wah, they didn't have it and then I found the Hammett and absolutely loved it. The one thing is I really don't like the switch on the front, never liked that about Crybabys. I suppose I'll get used to it though, it also has a very wide sweep which I like. I tried a couple vox ones and even some other Morleys and none of them had that sweep I was looking for, except the Hammett

11. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Excellent choices! :)

I have first edition, which he signed (yay, I guess). What's the difference?

I also used to have the Dimebag wah, the old Slash wah and the Wylde wah. Now I only have the Dragon and the Wylde left, and those two cover most bases. For Arch Enemy style "colouring " of leads I prefer the normal mode on the Dragon, for more guttural sounds the Wylde. I have however adjusted the physical range of the sweep on the Wylde, so mine probably feels a bit different now than a stock one.

12. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Sometimes I think about getting the Dragon 2 just because I'm a Lynch fanboy, but I'm enjoying the EVH wah too much.

MASS DEFECT likes this.
  13. MASS DEFECT

I think the only difference is that the first version doesn't have that wah lock/filter mode. Which I think is cool. I use it for a lead boost with just the right amount of half cocked wah sound to slice through the mix.

Now Im gassing for the Mini Lynch wah. I just dont lik the 80s glam colorway. Maybe I can spray it with Plastidip. lol

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  14. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Just saw it, I agree that is a horrible colour combination. Otherwise it looks pretty sweet.