VST Inst Connoisseurs, Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by oc616, Dec 15, 2016.

1. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

I'm looking to expand on Studio One 3's pitiful synth library, and I'm having a surprisingly hard time finding any info on at least one of these following plugin categories...

1. Orchestral: Now I'm up to speed on notation, expressions and sheet music, I'd be happy to go for something that isn't entered in the usual MIDI fashion.

2. Oriental Instruments: Google seems to be oddly barren for info on this sort of thing. Lots of loops, but that's not what I need.

3. Synth Pads: The genres outside of metal I want to get back into producing again are Industrial and Trance. I'd also be wanting to use these for soundtracks in the style of Deus Ex, Mass Effect and the like.

Not sure if Komplete has everything above at a decent quality, but if it does, is it worth saving/shelling out for that instead? They'd all need to be 64bit as J-Bridging seems to disagree heavily with my setup, which sucks since a lot of freeware I've seen is 32bit only :(

2. no_dice

no_dice a very bad old bear

I've seen some neat oriental Kontakt instruments. If you plan on getting Kontakt, that will cost you almost as much as Komplete, so the value is there already. Also, several of the instruments included are great for pads, like Absynth, FM8, and Reaktor.

3. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

Thanks, it looked like a smarter idea. I tried to run the demo version of Kontakt after work, but I can't seem to get the player to find it's demo libraries (no compatible files in the folder I've put them in?)

I already have enough nightmares getting Cubase to play fair at work with the network mapping, this is not what I needed :wallbash:

4. Kanye

Kanye SS.org Regular

I spent a small fortune on East West libraries.

Silk, Ra and Storm drum as well as their Orchestral pack are all top notch.

Read up on them first. They can be a bitch to deal with and their customer support is some of the worst Ive dealt with, but that was a few years back now. That aside, the selection of instruments and sounds available is exceptional.

5. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

East West have a monthly subscription model that gives you up to Gold level instruments for $30 or something a month. It's pretty freakin' excellent and has pretty much everything you could want.

As for pads and synths, look at Native Instruments offerings (Massive, Absynth, FM8 etc), Fabfilter Twin, Dimitry Sches Diversion, Spectrasonics Omnisphere/Trillian, Xfer Serum are some to look at.

6. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Orchestral and Oriental would definitely fall into the sampler world. Kontakt libraries would be your best bet. Synth Pads is a pretty wide range, so it is hard to give suggestions without more specific examples.

I agree that Komplete sounds like a good idea. It is probably the best bang for your buck out there. I have had K9 for a few years, and never really need anything else.

7. Kanye

Kanye SS.org Regular

Its a pity Camel Labs Alchemy became discontinued. The pack have some of the best pads I've ever heard from a VSTi. Omnisphere is still here and stronger than ever. Check out the wares from U-he like Diva is excellent.

If you have been away and want to jump back in again and keep it simple, then yeah Komplete works for that and will close to drown you for hours with all the sonic options there.

I personally use an Access Snow Ti and Alchemy for my pad work in the past.

8. brutalwizard

brutalwizard Pretty Your Petunia

omnisphere does it all fam

9. Kanye

Kanye SS.org Regular

No it doesn't, not really.

Omni is brilliant and everything but is not a master of all.

10. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

Thanks for all the responses, I think Kontakt 5 is looking like the way to go (don't have £1000 to spend on Komplete 11 in any reality). I'm still not sure why I can't get their demo to run in Studio One 3 however. The player opens, but despite being pointed to the "Demo Content" folder you additionally download, it still isn't finding any libraries. :wallbash:

I once bought the "Symphonic" or something software from East West years ago, I ended up sending it back to the supplier for a refund as their customer service was the most rude and awful example I've experienced. Anything requiring a iLok type of system has been a no go for me ever since.

11. Kanye

Kanye SS.org Regular

Yup, worst that I've ever experienced.

Fortunately I dont have to deal with them and I think they copped enough flack that they made changes... I dont know, its been a while since my last dealing with them. Yeah iLok is terrible, but you get used to it. The sounds on offer are worth it.

12. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

The new iLok 2s and 3s are for more reliable and easy to deal with the Licencing issues.

Like easy enough that I have showed completely technically inept people how to use them.

The new Play engine is much more stable and useable, so that's also good.