Volume/Wah in one pedal?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by WhoThenNow7, Nov 21, 2014.

1. WhoThenNow7

WhoThenNow7 SS.org Regular

I'm going to be honest here, I'm not a huge gear nerd when it comes to this type of stuff, and searching on Google has still left me wondering.. is it common to get an all in one volume and wah pedal? I have an older line 6 that comes with a four way switch with a volume/Wah pedal. It's pretty useful, but I was looking into getting a new peavey. The line 6 pedal hooks via phone cable and I'm not sure it would plug into the peavey. Are there any pedals I could get that are similar? Or do you guys usually get a separate wah and a separate volume?

2. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

You could most likely have your pedal modified to be a 1/4" cable if there are no other pedals out there.

3. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

The Line 6 pedal is basically a software controller with no onboard effects of its own and, therefore, will not do anything at all, even if you can frankenstein it to hook up to your Peavey.

Morley makes a decent Wah/Volume: Morley Power Wah Volume Pedal | Musician's Friend

I've used it before. It's not bad at either job, but not spectacular either. As you grow as a player and your GAS increases, you will likely want a more classic sounding wah and a more transparent volume pedal. Until that point, however, the Morley is a kickass, cheap solution.

That said, if you are happy with your Line 6 wah/volume and if you used any of the other effects on your amp, you'll be blown away with the effects quality of the Line 6 HD floorboards. You can pick up an HD500 used in the $300 range and have all the effects you're used to using now, but with far better versions. And, depending on which Peavey you're after, you might be able to run it in such a way that you can choose between using the Peavey's pre-amps or one of the HD500's pre-amps, giving you a very broad tonal palette.

4. Thanatopsis

Thanatopsis SS.org Regular

DOD FX-17, seem to be going for $30-60 on eBay. I thought Mission made one but just checked and I guess I was wrong. A quick search looks like there isn't much out there though.

5. WhoThenNow7

WhoThenNow7 SS.org Regular

Awesome, I'll keep the HD500 in mind as it seems like it would be awesome for recording. Quick question, though: I have a Zoom G3X, and while it has an expression pedal which can be used as a wah and volume, I can't do both at the same time. For example, with the line 6 footswitch/pedal, I can click the pedal and turn it from volume to wah. With the Zoom, I can click to turn the wah on and off, but it can only be set to either wah or volume, meaning when I click the wah off, it doesn't turn to a volume pedal, it just turns the wah off. Is this how the HD500 is? Or once I click the wah off, does it instantly turn into a volume pedal?

Thanks for the suggestion; yeah I'm seeing there isn't much out there..

In that case, I may just look for a separate wah and volume pedal..

6. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

I had the DOD FX-17, it was my first wah pedal. I never really got along with it. You really need to velcro it to a board. It's small, but top heavy and it tips over. Doesn't really sound fantastic either.

On the HD500, the expression pedal behaviour is set on a patch by patch basis. If you're using a wah patch, it's a wah. On beautiful thing about the HD500 is that you can add an expression pedal. Then you could have a dedicated permanent volume and a pedal that can be a wah, pitch glide, or any of the other parameters that can be set to an expression pedal. The possibilities are mind boggling, really.

7. Sephael

Sephael Divine Paradøx Contributor

Edit: Add a Boss FV500L to your rig, run guitar through it into the pod, then hook the expression input of the Pod to the FV500L and control volume and wah at same time if that is what you are wanting to do.

8. that short guy

that short guy SS.org Regular

The expression pedal on the hd500 can be set to both wah and volume you on any given patch, you just have to set the expression pedal to do that in the software