volume trouble

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by macalpine88, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macalpine88

macalpine88 SS.org Regular

i have an rg7-420 and the volume does not go down all the way it gets really low but you can play it through an amp with the knob all the way down and it is still loud. does anyone else have this anoying problem :confused:

2. Chris

Chris Forum MVP

Sounds like you need a new volume pot bro. :) Cheap, around $5.

3. macalpine88

thanks, i will see if i can find one

4. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

Yup , bad volume pot or it's not wired correctly..

5. No Soul

No Soul bringer of mosh

stock pots on most guitars tend to be crappy, so its probably just gone south. If you only use it in the 100% on or completely off modes, I say just get a killswitch installed. So much easier to use, more reliable, plus you can do neat "toggle switch effects" ala Les Paul style.

6. macalpine88

sorry to bring this topic up again but, does a volume pot have anything to do with making the guitar sound weak. this is the best term i could think of. distortion sounds very crappy compared to all other guitars i own

7. Virtue

Virtue Prog Nut

If you have a bad pot that isn't sweeping to it's highest position, absolutely.

8. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Could be, but not necissarily, there's a few things to look at on there.

Also , i read the killswitch thing. I dunno if i'd use (Engage?) A killswitch on my guitars... i like the dynamics of the volume knob. You cant really get that with a switch . you dont use it all the time, but its nice to have.

9. Vince

Vince Contributor

The pickups could be out of phase. Check the wiring. I'm not an expert on what to look for with the wiring, but I do know I have 1 setting on one of my guitars that's out of phase. I'm getting it fixed this week. It's MUCH lower volume & output than all 4 of the other pickup settings.

10. macalpine88

i dont think that is it, the reason being my old pickup did the exact thing, i am going to put in a new neck pickup soon and i will get a new volume pot also. it is really starting to piss me off. im going to mess with it and try to figure it out. thanks for the help

11. Metal Ken

Lol, right after i got my 7620, the previous owner couldnt tell a soldering gun from his ass. So things were working but fucked up. at max volume, the neck pickup was about 40% the volume of the neck one... I could tell he played nu metal, it was in Drop G, and the neck pickup didnt work right lol. The tone knob also cut the volume when it was low. So i just took it in, i told the music store "I Want all new wiring, a 3 way switch and new pots" and then i came back 3 days later and the guy told me the previous owner should never ever touch a soldering iron again. And now it works great.

12. macalpine88

speaking of idiots. i took my first peavey apart with a pair of scissors and everything was messed up beyond repair. so i did what any normal person would do i sold it to my friends drunk nieghbor for 70$ and its retail value was 40$. im not kidding either :p :nuts:

13. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

how much did that set you back? been thinking about putting in a new volume pot into my own rg7621. if it's not terrible to get someone else to do it, then i might lol

14. Metal Ken

well, there was a lot of unfucking to do. i had an account w/ the store w/ some money left over (bout 40$) then they charged me like, another 30. Not bad for it.
    I think it was like 2 hours worth of labor + parts.

Changing your pots is pretty simple. Its just that massive tangle of god knows what the previous owner did. Thats why i took it in.

15. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

ahh, cool.

yeah, i've rewired this guitar myself already, as it came with the pickups pulled. so, i may just make a project out of it.

16. No Soul

No Soul bringer of mosh

well you dont have to remove the volume knob to have a killswitch.
    Matter of fact most guitars Ive seen with killswitches still have a volume knob.

Im not saying the volume pot is without its purpose, but I seriously almost never use it. Plus live it becomes a liability, which is where a killswitch really comes in handy. Just make sure you put it in a good place and arent the clumsy sort who would hit it in the middle of a song.

17. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

See, I ride my volume knob a LOT when playing live- backing off a bit at the beginning of the solo and rolling it up as I build up, or rolling back on a rhythm distortion for a clean-ish tone a la Tool, or doing volume swells, or whatever. Fun stuff. ;)

In conjunction with a kill switch? yeah, that'd be cool too. :)

-D

18. macalpine88

i feel like such a freaking idiot. the problem was the pickup was about and inch away from the strings. i noticed on accident while looking at the bridge. just jammed a piece of straw in there and its fixed. now it shreds :nuts:

19. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

At least it's fixed:scream:

20. macalpine88

thats all that matters :hbang:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.