Vintagey 8 String pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Quitty, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

Title says it all.

I have a Rebel Yell in my maple/alder Carvin 7-string - so i guess i like things bright.
    I loved the clarity and the vintage tinge in the mids - however i never could find a good neck pickup to go with it and kept thinking maybe a more standard-sounding pickup might do me some good.
    Other favorites are the Full Shred,
    JB (only in mahogany, and still too high output),
    and the Duncan Custom (A little lacking in character).

Is there such a thing for 8-string? I'm working on getting one and am looking for options.
    Kiesel Lithiums sound too close to D-Activators from the clips i've gathered.
    Duncan Distortions are too middy, i think.
    Dimarzio PAF7 was a disappointment in the neck. Dull and un-articulate - i think i might just not like Dimarzio.
    Fokin pickups Octopus sound like just what i'm looking for, but don't exist?

I'll be playing proggy stuff, lots of big jazz chords with gain, fair bit of chugging. Don't want to sound too metal doing it :hbang:

2. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

I understand you want a neck pickup to pair well with that RY in bridge in your 8 string Carvin.

In that case I would say Cold Sweat or Emerald :)

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Have you tried any Lace pickups? The Tonebar 8 might be worth looking at, very unique pickup. It's meant for pedal steel. I tried one in the bridge of one my RG2228s and it had great clarity, especially on chords. I wound up swapping back to EMGs because I wanted something more metal.

4. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

Actually, i'm looking for a brand new pickup. Sorry, i realize i wasn't very clear.
    The Rebel Yell is in my 7-string Carvin. I'm now speccing out an 8 and am looking for pups.

Max - Thanks, i'll look into them!
    Aren't the Laces supposed to be super-modern?

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That Laces are built using modern, unique methods, but the tone across the Alumitone range is rather "classic".