Video Game Music Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by works0fheart, Feb 19, 2021.

Tags:
  1. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

You're good people my dood. I just finished up remixing the first Castlevania OST and i'm working on the OST from CVIII at the moment. My all time favorite game series. It's a shame Konami has let it die off..

Fis:Destroyer likes this.
  2. WarMachine

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Leviathus likes this.
  3. WarMachine

4. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

The castlevenia animated series on netflix is pretty great. I wish they'd do an update to the game series too. I kinda wish they'd do something in the vein of God of War. It could be sick with the whips and axes lol And make it super scary

WarMachine likes this.
  5. WarMachine

Closest thing you'll get to that would be the Lords of Shadow series. A lot of the "purist" fans hated that series. I've always been a die hard fan since day one and i felt like Lords of Shadow was a breath of fresh air. Got us a new story line that could definitely pull off canon and most importantly; got more in its action roots and away from the metroidvania formula.

works0fheart and thebeesknees22 like this.
  6. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

Surprised I haven't seen more Chrono Trigger mentioned. A lot of great songs there.

Hard to pick a favorite from the Elder Scrolls series, but this is up there

7. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

8. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

9. Schmeer

Schmeer Riff .....istrator

The Zelda games have always had amazing soundtracks, in my opinion. A Link to the past is probably my favourite, I've played that game so many times I've lost count.

However, I found this today and it is awesome:

10. VibTDog

VibTDog who farted?

Another one that I listen to:

thebeesknees22 likes this.
  11. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

FFXIII has by far the best soundtrack in the series. I will never understand why people seem to worship at the altar of the simplistic, cloying melodies of the early games. Like, the descending sequence at the end of the opera music in FF6? SO BAD! The village music in those games is as annoying and repetitive as the music in like, the first Pokemon. People just associate it with good memories, I guess. The battle themes were cool and somewhat developed, but that was about it. FFX was the first game in that series that I would have thought about getting a soundtrack for, but I don't really remember how good it was, I just remember liking some of it while I was playing.

Nier Automata has my favorite videogame soundtrack, I think. Other really good ones off the top of my head would be FFXIII-2, Castlevania SOTN, Nier 1, Dark Souls 3 (it's really just boss music), Gravity Rush 2, and Persona 5 (if you ignore the lyrics). Oh, and the Doom 2016 soundtrack. I need to play Doom: Eternal, I'm sure that one's is great too.

For really old games, I still think Donkey Kong Country 1's is up there. The original star fox, too. Zelda games tended to have the same problems as the old FF soundtracks (insidiously catchy, simplistic melodies that basically created stockholm syndrome). I think Skyward Sword and a few things from Wind Waker were where things became legitimately good. Breath of the Wild's is cool for what it is, but is definitely not worth listening to as music separate from the game IMO.

Mario: Odyssey has good music that reminds me of Gravity Rush 2.

12. wankerness

You should look up the Descent soundtrack for the Mac version. They redid several of the tracks with some kind of early soundfonts instead of Midi, and it sounded a hell of a lot better. I still listen to some of the tracks today.

Here's the full playlist:

EDIT: Wow, this forum just keeps forcing the erasure of the playlist link into the media tagged version of the first video.

Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UkT1f-TqMc&list=PLY2WY-1XFse8A4DTt0DGwkJXJ3xyQzNug&ab_channel=Pip5528

valkyrie likes this.
  13. Steen

Steen SS.org Regular

Oh, dang, this thread is my jam!
    @Schmeer I discovered that video yesterday and was blown away!

Some of my fav stuff off the top of my head:
    I love Hiroki Kikuta's Secret of Mana soundtrack

And his original stuff is great too and has some awesome guitar
    https://hirokikikuta.bandcamp.com/album/angelicfortress-double-helix

Good jazziness in Super Castlevania:

Proggie Funk Goodness in Galaxy Force 2:

And this incredible live version by the dudes who made it:

Choop and thebeesknees22 like this.
  14. valkyrie

valkyrie SS.org Regular

I also submit that the original Bosconian also had the tastiest bass riffs in video game music (particularly the bit at 4:50):

This is interesting. It's almost a remix, since they changed the songs around a bit and it almost sounds like the redbook soundtrack from Descent II. They also used PC-adlib for the soundtrack on the version I had as a kid, which I still prefer probably because of nostalgia. But the mac version is like listening to a cover of your favorite band

15. Steen

Steen SS.org Regular

@valkyrie Bosconian is good! That's a new one to me. There's so much good music on those old Japanese home computers. pc88,98, Sharp x68k. Treasure to unearth.

16. wankerness

I only had a Mac growing up, so my only experience with Descent was this version with the CD-quality audio for a soundtrack. I downloaded the midis at some point off a videogame music site and was confused by how a bunch of them were the same basic music, just MIDI, and that was when I found out the PC version had midi soundtrack!

Descent 2 never came out for Mac, so my only exposure to its soundtrack was the PS1 game "Descent Maximum," which I THINK was the same soundtrack as Descent 2? It did sound like the Mac descent 1 soundtrack. I barely got anywhere in that game since controlling full 3D Descent with the OG PS1 controller was horrible.

17. Steen

Steen SS.org Regular

@wankerness It's been forever since I heard Descent's music and I never realized how 90's industrial it is. The track you posted totally sounds like Pigface.

18. wankerness

Never heard of them. I'll have to look them up. I listened to Nine Inch Nails a lot back in the 90s but never got into the genre otherwise unless you count stuff like the Quake II soundtrack and the Descent soundtrack. Ah, the good ol' days where you could only hear what was on the radio/MTV/in video games if you were too young to go to shows.

19. Steen

Steen SS.org Regular

Pigface was kind of an industrial super group. Trent Reznor contributed to the track Suck which he later remade as a bonus track on Broken. I was a big NIN fan too.
    I can't imagine trying to find something I want to listen to on the radio anymore. Definitely different times.

20. Steen

Steen SS.org Regular

Some more jams with guitar: