Video Editing Programs

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by DoctorStoner, Jun 24, 2021.

1. DoctorStoner

DoctorStoner θάλλ

As part of recording and putting music out there, I bet a bunch of us are using video editing software to make bedroom music videos and lyric videos, etc. The two I've used are free versions on PC (with some limitations) and I would highly recommend one and avoid the other like the plague.

I tried to use Lightworks for about a year, it's abysmally slow and 100% non-intuitive. Then I switched to Davinci Resolve and was blown away with how fast and easy/intuitive it is to use. Work flows like Reaper (different but similar) and I can make a whole video in a hour where as with Lightworks I'd be fuming 3 hours in and have to start all over.

What experiences do you guys have?

USMarine75 likes this.
  2. BlackFalcon17

BlackFalcon17 SS.org Regular

I've only ever used Davinci Resolve and so far it has everything I need and more. I don't see myself switching/upgrading any time soon. It's pretty wild to me that software with that many features is available for free.

3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Reaper can be used for video editing, too, but if you are already on the Davinci Resolve train, you might as well stick with it, since it's better anyway.

4. binz

binz SS.org Regular

Is anybody seriously using reaper for video editing? I mean, I know you _can_ video edit in reaper, but do you _want to_?

5. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

i just use final cut when I have to remake my demo reel. (like the cheapest version)

...ugh....I need to update it bad. I haven't since around 2015. I can't even remember half the shots I worked on by now.

6. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

My 11 year old wants to get into video editing (he wants to be a YouTuber like everyone else lol). What do you recommend as good but easiest to learn?

7. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

oh that I'm not sure. I haven't edited anything since the last time I updated my reel. When i was in college back in ancient times, it was all Adobe premiere and final cut. There are loads of things out there these days.

Basic editing isn't all that hard though. You drop a clip in, set your ins and outs and put in the timeline. (and move it around wherever you want or as needed) That's kind of the gist of most of them. There should be tons of youtube tutorials for fancy things on any package you pick.

I never got flashy with my demo reels because I hated making them lol

odibrom likes this.
  8. DoctorStoner

DoctorStoner θάλλ

For Windows, definitely try DaVinci Resolve. The free version is very powerful!
    For Mac, I don't know much about them, but iMovie is included with OSX and is supposed to be pretty good.

USMarine75 likes this.
  9. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I wish Resolve liked my laptop.

10. rotebass

rotebass SS.org Regular

Another vote for Resolve, although to be fair I don't have a lot of experience with the more "pro" options.

Works great on my PC desktop, also works on my Macbook Pro but rendering is a little bit slower (fine when I need to render out a short clip for work though).

iMovie is simple, that is both a compliment and a criticism.

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

yup, another vote for resolve. I only do very basic edits but it's way better than any of the other free programs I've tried.

12. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

Resolve is great.

But for an 11 year old, get him to start on iMovie if you can, just because it comes with that Apple royalty free sound library among other things.

13. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

My 11 year old uses imovie, and does very well with it. It's good enough for what they want to do, but not complicated enough to discourage them. My 16 year old uses something way more robust, which makes sense, because imovie is suuuuper limited if you want to do anything significant. But for that age group, and for anyone learning, it's great, and it's free with every apple device. I use it for super basic stuff, and usually just do the whole thing on the phone, but I don't know I'd use it for anything significant.

14. tender_insanity

tender_insanity SS.org Regular

(Sony) Magix Vegas Pro Edit here. Grabbed my on humblebundle offer some time ago like $25 for a software that's about 10x more usually.