Victory VX100 - The Super Kraken

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Meeotch, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

Just came from testing a guitar and plugged into a VX Kraken with some Victory 2x12 cab. Holy shit that thing sounded way better then and there than any online clips I've heard. It's like I've only heard crunchy sounds while it does such great high gain. They were out of the Preamp versions but have to go back when in stock. I'm thinking a pre into my Mooer Radar has potential.

2. 777timesgod

777timesgod Stop reading this...I said stop!

Had a chance to play a V Sheriff one but passed it, I regret it now given the hype for these amps at the moment.

3. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

I am yet to play a Victory that doesn't do its job spectacularly well, to be honest. I was rather impressed with the Kraken at NAMM, given how tight and full I could get it to sound regardless of gain level, and how pleasant it was to play single note runs or chordal stuff equally - a hard balance to strike, really.

4. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Amp arrived today. Damn, it’s amazing. It’ll be a few days before I can do a fuller review but my initial impression is that it may be my favorite of the amps I’ve owned.

t00lgasm and MetalHex like this.
  5. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I was a touch underwhelmed when I had the 50 watt Kraken, but I can't stop being curious about this.

6. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

didnt you have an Invective?.....(sorry I dont follow these treads much) but I vaguely remember you posting there a lot about it?

if so can you do an insight between the two?, as the mini invective head and the Kraken pedal are in my top 2 GAS list

7. t00lgasm

t00lgasm SS.org Regular

Hahaha I told you!

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  8. Deadpool_25

The Invective is out of commission for a few more days as I work on a little project :). I’m curious about what I think when I compare them side by side. Give me a few days and I’ll do a little write up comparing the two.

9. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

What cabs and speakers were you using?

10. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Orange 2x12 with v30s

11. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Sounds great, especially for such a super small amp. I like the fact they've built front boost in front of it, but definitely not a one trick pony. Too bad for the shared eq though.

Really good comprehensive demo by the huge afro dude.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  12. Deadpool_25

I’m sure the shared EQ will be a huge turn off for a lot of guys. Kind of a shame really. I find it easy to dial in multiple settings I really like on all three channels. Maybe in the next version the can use some concentric knobs like on the EVHs. I could see them being used on BMT and also on Gain I/II and Master I/II. That would open up two spots so they could add Presence/Resonance and Post Gain I/II or something. That last one would make the volume more controllable. As is, the amp gets loud quickly.

With all that said, the amp is a beast as is.

13. narad

narad Owned a Zune

Afro dude help designed it so have to take that one with a grain of salt. Gain channels based on JCM / 5150 definitely sounds appealing to me though.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  14. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

It seems to have this nasal grind that is just like a gut punch...so to me it sounds closer to a Mark V. Still for these prices I'd take "made in California", i.e. Mesa Boogie.

Dunno, that's the sad thing of today's economy, you can rarely find anywhere that would have these amps back to back so you can properly test them...and I live in the 4th biggest city in USA :(

15. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I live in LA and even i have still never seen/played a lot of big name amps/brands in stores. Maybe just bad luck on my part but...

Still never seen a Diezel (other than an Einstein), a Fryette/VHT, or a Friedman. I’ve seen a Bogner once, and a splawn once. I highly doubt i will ever see a KSR, Revv, or Victory in a store used.

It’s always the same. Fender, Peavey, Orange, Mesa, Marshall.

And even then, it’s rarely the latest and greatest offering (Invective, Mark V, Dual Dark).

When i saw a Dual Dark 100 at SamAsh in Hollywood i almost shit my pants. Only got to play it for 20 minutes because someone wanted to buy it on the spot.

If there’s was some app that alerted me when certain gear was in a local GC or SamAsh i would probably pay for it.

Deadpool_25 and Spinedriver like this.
  16. 4Eyes

4Eyes SS.org Regular

For well designed amp a shared EQ doesn't have to be a bad thing. In fact, from designer's point of view, it's a trade off between building the best sounding amp possible (shared EQ) and making it, what people think, is versatile (separate EQ). The less complicated design of the amp, the better it sounds.

t00lgasm likes this.
  17. t00lgasm

t00lgasm SS.org Regular

+1

18. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Well...I don't care that much for cleans, right now I have literally one clean intro which I play on my Mesa distorted channel with volume rolled off as I am too lazy to connect the channel switch pedal just for that :)

So I guess it won't be a huge turn off for me...but at the price point of this amp, it is actually a turn off. To pay this much $$$ for shared eq is just :(

Interesting...GC in Las Vegas had Friedman room, and a few other boutique amps. If you really want to see a great selection the Chicago Music Exchange is absolutely the best store that I've been to. Second one is Austin Guitar House: https://www.austinguitarhouse.com/

They had a full line of Mesa, as well as some really interesting boutique and local amp makers. Got to play a Metropoulous which is a high end boutique take on the Plexi. Simply fantastic. Too many amps...too little money :)

19. t00lgasm

t00lgasm SS.org Regular

Super kraken is 1500 plus 33 shipping if you order from Thomann music in Germany. That’s how I got mine.

Descent likes this.
  20. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Not bad at all! Maybe I'll need to look at that route, although I got my eye on the Mesa Mark V right now and good quality used is about there as well.