VHT Sig X Vs. Axe FX Ultra

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Dalcan, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Dalcan

Dalcan SS.org Regular

I've been presented great offers for both...

This would be my main amp/processor for playing live and recording.

Which would you choose and why?

2. Manhell

Manhell SS.org Regular

hmm...I had An Axe Fx Ultra but I haven't played one Sig:X so;

That's a bit tricky, the Sig:X is a great amp with lots of capabilities but it has the VHT/Fryette sound and his own personal character as any tube head out there, the Axe Ultra has a great array of sounds that can be super versatile but at the same time it takes time to understand out to get great tones out of it, is not a plug-and-go unit per se like a tube head.

my personal choice would be the Sig:X for the simple reason that I like tube heads better and the Axe being a computer if the motherboard or whatever main component goes "pufff" it will be a pain to replace or it will be useless (although I haven't heard of any Axe burning up) and the tube head you just go to a tech and replace that one component that's bad.

Now bare in mind that with a tube head you need a good cab (super important otherwise your supercool and pricey head will sound like s**t and you'll not know why) usually people spend top buck in a head and buy a marshall 1960 or a behringer or any cab that will come for a low price and that's a big mistake, I've known of people that got Diezels and Mesas and got so unsatisfied with them just because of the cab.

Another advice is try before you buy, if you can do it go for what your hears tell you it's right for you.

hope it help :)

3. TeeWX

TeeWX All The Br00tz

I'll second the use of a quality cabinet. Although you should be more conscious of what speakers are inside the cabinet. The speakers themselves have a huge impact on the final sound. Once you have a well built cabinet (you can even build your own if you want to save a ton of money), you can figure out a speaker setup that works best for your application. I bought one of each of several speakers that I wanted to try and played on as many mixtures of them as I could before deciding that I just couldn't beat a k100/v30 mix.

4. Atomshipped

Atomshipped SS.org Regular

I have an Ultra and a VHT Super 30 (basically a low wattage pittbull combo). I haven't played a Sig X, but after some time with the Ultra I was able to get a pretty damn good Fryette/VHT sound at much lower sound levels. It's also a lot easier to record with too.

I do love the VHT amp, but usually don't have the opportunity to play it loud and use it the way it's supposed to be used. It's a tough decision to make.

With the VHT, you'll easily be able to plug it in and find good tones and just play. The Sig X has tons of switches and knobs, but it's nothing compared to the Ultra.

IMO the Ultra doesn't sound good at all until you play with it a lot and learn the tricks to make it sound amazing. Once you get there, it's gratifying. You have a lot more options in terms of effects and tones than with the VHT.

5. jimwratt

jimwratt SS.org Regular

Do you have a power amp and a cab to plug the axe into for live work or would you be playing places with a sound system?

6. Dalcan

Dalcan SS.org Regular

Yes and no- Some of the nicer places here have PA systems. Other places are crap VFW halls.

7. sted

sted Active Member

Only get the ultra if you understand that it takes time to dial in, you will need a power amp and cab or a powered monitor if you cant go to the house PA.
    Also bear in mind the Ultra will not get any more FW updates from Fractal, not to mention how are you going to control the unit as well, the MFC doesn't come cheap but there are other midi boards you can use.
    All I'm saying is go into the modelling side with your eyes open, it is much more difficult to integrate a new modelling set up than a new amp head but the results and capabilities can be worth it.

8. russmuller

russmuller Cramblin'

I'd vote for the Sig X. I play a Pittbull 50-CL and I simply love the tone. The wattage options on the Sig make it friendly for practice and recording as well as going loud when live. Especially when playing live, you'll get a more consistent sound than piping the Ultra through a PA. Sure, you have to spend money on tubes, but it'll be simpler to setup and dial in great tone at gigs.

And as Sted pointed out, the Ultra is at the end of it's life cycle (it's not useless by any means, but no more firmware updates, etc...). Consider how that impacts its depreciation. I'd be willing to bet that in another 5 years, that Ultra will be worth a lot less than the Sig X if you ever decide to upgrade or need to sell something off.