vht fat bottom 4x12

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Prada3353, May 27, 2008.

1. Prada3353

Prada3353 Banned

these any good? i'm set on a Vader 4x12, but i want to look into to other options too

what kind of speakers do they have aswell?

2. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

Yeah they're amazing, but they don't sound great with all amps, so it would depend on what head you were using. In my experience they sound awesome with VHT, Mesa, Peaveys, etc. With certain ENGLs & Marshalls it was a disaster.

The cabinet is front-loaded, and the speakers are very articulate, punchy (but not a ton of bass), growly, tight, etc. With certain amps that are already dry sounding, it might be a bit overkill.

The speakers are P50E's and are made especially for VHT by Eminence. They are my all-time favorite speakers, with the Mesa Black Shadows being up there too.

So to answer to your question: yes it's an incredible high-quality cabinet, but it's a fairly specific sound that may or may not vibe with your rig.

As for other options: Mesa, Orange, Diezel, etc make great cabs as well, but I'm not a big V30 fan. I hear nothing but good things about Vader but I have no first-hand experience with them so I can't say for sure.

Prada3353 likes this.
  3. Prada3353

Prada3353 Banned

well, it will have a madison divinty head running into it, and they have a very tight, and very huge low end

2 more questions

is it wired for 16 ohm mono?
    and how does it compare to a Vader?

thanks for the help in advanced guys!

4. zimbloth

Everyone says the Madison's are similar to Mesas. If that's the case, I think it would go well with the VHT cab, but I can't say for sure. Yes VHT cab's are 16ohm.

I can't say how it would compare to a Vader but perhaps someone else could chime in on that. :)

Best of luck :yesway:

5. Prada3353

Prada3353 Banned

hopefully they're easier to dial in :D

thanks for the help man

6. zimbloth

No problem. In all honesty the Vaders are a little cheaper, so if it's a tie I'd probably go with those. I'd just read reviews, talk to fellow owners, etc. I think either cab would work, it's all about how the speakers interact with that Madison of yours. :metal:

7. Prada3353

Prada3353 Banned

well, i'm looking at a used vht fat bottom cab that is about the same price as a new vader, and its in really nice condition, but i might feel safer with a brand spanking new vader

8. zimbloth

Is the VHT a straight or slant cab? Honestly if the price is equal I'd go with the VHT, but you can't go wrong either way.

9. Prada3353

Prada3353 Banned

10. Zer0

Zer0 That Guy

I fully agree with this statement, you really have to try your amp with this cab. Some amps are great sounding some sound like crap. From my experience with this cab it seems to really like amps that are voiced heavy in the low mids. Either the FB will accentuate the amp with a full punchy sound, or it will sound really flat and lifeless. I tried a Splawn Quickrod in one a few days ago and it sounded like shit, bland really. Hooked up a 6505+ and it sounded like Satan was coming out of the speakers. Ive had less experience with the Vader stuff, so I couldn't really say, but from what Ive heard they sound pretty similar fwiw. If you are running your 5150 either cab should sound good.

11. Prada3353

Prada3353 Banned

nah, i've sold the 5150 and the mesa, i wanted to do something a little more different and re invent my rig, i need to update my info >.<

12. zimbloth

Yep, I'm not the only one to have that observation then, good to know :)

Cool, I was hoping you'd say that. I owned both versions of the VHT P50E-412 and the slant definitely sounded better.

13. noodles

noodles Contributor

Nick, is this the cab that is typically paired with the Pitbull/UL? If so, it sounds amazing with Rectos, very similar to the C90 sound. Tight, full, and aggressive.

14. WarriorOfMetal

WarriorOfMetal The Dragonrider Contributor

yes, that's the one :yesway:

15. zimbloth

Dave, yes it is. It sounds terrific with Mesas, agreed. They're certainly both 'tight, full, and aggressive', but the C90s do have considerably more bass and volume. I'm sure this has to do with the 50w vs 90w factor. The VHT speakers are a bit more articulate, but the C90s are a bit fuller.

It's certainly in the same ballpark though yeah, I just hear both cabs everyday in rehearsal so I'm used to the subtle differences.

FWIW: VHT only makes two cabs. The P50E-412 ('Fat Bottom') and the Deliverance cab. The Deliverance cab has the same speakers, but the way it projects is different. The Deliverance cab is designed to sound better close up, whereas the regular VHT cab's sweet spot is further back. Travels much better. For recording purposes I may pick up a Deliverance cab for this reason someday, but for live the regular is the way to go.

16. Prada3353

Prada3353 Banned

Thanks man!

has anyone a/b'd this cab against a vader though?

17. Crucified

Crucified Deathgrind Maniac

i own 2 vaders and love them. really big sounding, no speaker breakup, clear and awesome. my low end comes out perfectly and i don't hear any mud unless the amp/guitar combo isn't eq'd correctly. i doubt i will go with any other company for guitar cabs honestly. that being said, i haven't tried everything out there so maybe the vht will be better, i just know i'm super happy with my vaders.