VHT Deliverance Sixty Playthrough

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by BadSeed, Mar 13, 2021.

1. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

Finally got around to demoing the VHT Deliverance Sixty, and I honestly think it's one of my best demos to date.
    This amp is fantastic and I'm happy to see VHT making a comeback in popularity, as these are some of the nastiest high gain amps out there.

When I got this amp, I was surprised at how difficult it was to play. I was so used to a 5150 or Triple XXX that I really needed to rework my right hand technique to get the most out of this thing.

This amp, and my Splawn Quick Rod that I got shortly after, really shaped my right hand technique, made me focus a lot more on dynamics and all around, made me a little better of a player, though still a long, long ways to go.

Plenty of gain on tap, especially with a good boost in front. Handles all tunings well, I just love this damn amp.

Check it out below:

2. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Seems to have a lot of what I liked and didn't like on the VHT Pitbull (not even sure which version, one without the graphic EQ) I tried many many years ago.

It's this very dry, tight, super responsive sound that's great for metal rhythm...and not much else. It lacks any sweetness you would want for leads or lower gain.

3. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Sounded great on the high gain (IMO) but pretty bad elsewhere. I have an UL that I love and currently think is safe from my current amp sell-off, but I think it's classic gain setting (or whatever it's called) is a great 80s metal tone, and the clean can also be rather good...I'd say 7/10. Have you played a UL to compare?

I ask because there was one of these for sale locally for $500, and it had been sitting at $550-600 all month. I was tempted, but I have the UL and not a lot of space. At that price I was still tempted!

4. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

Dude that's an easy flip at that price!

I have played an older UL as well as the predecessor, the One Hundred (very early vht) and sold them both in favor of my newer Fifty/CL and this deliverance. The Pittbull will certainly have more variety in tonal capabilities but I think I like the overall voice of the Deliverance a little more

5. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Yea, on another day maybe. Shipping out of Japan right now is very expensive, plus I doubt people want a 100V amp in any other country -- I know I wouldn't. If it was a Sig-X I would have gone for it!

6. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

Please disclaim if you're sponsored or not re the pedal, because this sounds like an obvious paid sales pitch.

7. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

Nope, I'd have to mark the video as paid promotion with a statement like that if I were linked with them at all.

It's just a fantastic pedal.

DielonKilo likes this.
  8. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

:scratch:

9. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I love my Pittbull heads, but I've never been able to try a Deliverance or Sig:X in person. This doesn't help my GAS at all :lol:

cGoEcYk likes this.
  10. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Huge lowend eh!? Sounds great! Mind you im listening very quietly at work lol.
    always wanted to try the VHT amps

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  11. LCW

LCW SS.org Regular

Did VHT become Fryette or the other way around?

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

VHT became Fryette. Steve Fryette sold the name to the Axl guitar company who use it for their line of amps and pedals, and adopted his last name for the company. Steve claims he consulted with them while they were developing an amp line, and they pretty much offered him a deal for the name and logo.

LCW likes this.
  13. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

I was under the impression that someone forgot to renew the copywrite/trademark and that's why a Chinese brand started selling VHT products with the exact same logo while freyette products were also kicking around.

Obviously I have no idea where this came from but it was the story going around circles over here for ages.

Hollowway likes this.
  14. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Doing a bit more reading, it actually seems to be somewhere in the middle. Steve got a loan from Axl Guitars, defaulted on the loan, and gave up the name as collateral. So he kinda-sorta sold the name? :lol:

15. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Same. And what makes it difficult is that everyone who has both talks about the comparison between the two using completely subjective terms. The world will never know.

16. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

They're honestly very similar in the gain channels. The Pittbull is a little more stuff and dry in the feel, but overall they are very similar in voicing and feel, especially when compared with any other amp or brand in general.

Hollowway and TheWarAgainstTime like this.
  17. BurningRome

BurningRome SS.org Regular

I've had the Deliverance 120, 60, Sig X, Ultra lead with EQ and Classic with EQ and have ran these through the Matching Fryette P50E cab, Marshall, Carvin and some other random cabs.

They all sound like they're from the same family. Not twins and not distant counsins but like minor differences in feel.

The Deliverance 60 vs 120 is noticeable in feel. 120 is stiffer an punches harder, 60 is more aggressive sounding but at the same time it's not more brutal and the 120 is a high gain monster so don't read that as though I'm stating the 120 isn't brutal or the 60 is more brutal. I've bought these amps several times over the past few years and they sounded consistently the same. You don't a big swing in character based on what batch you got or really even the tubes.

The Ultra Lead with sliding EQ is king. Just is because you can get that hard punch, make it super tight and percussive. Best amp I've ever owned but also most expensive and so I sold it, I regret it a lot but it sounds like a deliverance just with the EQ. You can mess with more channels and get a lot more stuff out of it for sure.

Sig X is great and I really really liked it and it also has the deliverance sound but not quiet the Ultra Lead gut punch, again all due to the EQ offered on the UL. The Sig X is a better Deliverance 60 in my opinion and fills the gap between the Deliverance and the UL really well getting you multiple channels & KT88's without having to jump to the UL to still maintain those tubes and gain channels.

The Pittbull Classic with the EQ was my least favorite. Sounded like a Deliverance but just didn't really do it for me, I wanted it to be an Ultra Lead and it wasn't. I'm going to use a word I hate to use since it's over used but it applies here...the UL is CRUSHING....but that's because you can take that EQ and really get it to hit hard in the right frequencies.

The UL is my favorite of any amp ever. Only other amp that came close to feel for me was the Orange Thunderverb 200, here feel means stiff percussive hits. I think the Thunderverb 200 lacked a lot of things, I really didn't like the EQ or the less gain channel. It did one thing great.

All that said, the amp I think Fryette needs to consider is a 60W version of the UL. I'm sure it would sacrifice some of it's stiffness that way. BTW stiffness to me means stop on a type percussiveness.

These amps all sound fantastic, you can't make them sound bad, super easy to dial in and they sound great through any cab I've hooked them up to.

Adding this to the post too. I really like the cleans on these amps. The Deliverance does a fantastic clean and it's no joke. It's just awesome.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  18. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, I had a 50CL for years, but always pined for a UL. So I got the UL. The plan was to sell the 50CL, but I decided not to, because it's lower watts, and EL34, so there's enough of a different feel there to rationalize it. I've always wanted to hear a D60, but no way I'm buying one at the prices people want for them currently. And I think I can get the majority of the way there with the UL, based on what you're saying. The UL is also my favorite amp ever. (Though, I will always have a soft spot for a modded JCM800 and Mark IV!)

BurningRome likes this.
  19. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

Things get real around 13:00-14:00, enjoyed it. Has a nice anger to it.

How loud do you need to run the master before it "reveals" itself?

BurningRome likes this.
  20. Meeotch

Meeotch SS.org Regular

I read somewhere recently that Fryette is planning to release a new version of the UL, kinda like they did with the Deliverance II. I hope this pans out to be true!

Requiem, BurningRome and Hollowway like this.