VHT Deliverance 120 for my Dual Recto?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by TedintheShed, Mar 17, 2020.

1. TedintheShed

TedintheShed Retired bassist pretending to play guitar

I owned an Archon. I loved it. The sound was excellent but kind of one dimensional. Maybe it was the dimension I wanted so maybe getting rid of it was a mistake, but I do want to try the Uberschall.!

2. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

I was intrigued by a locally listed Deliverance. From what I have read it sounds like they have best results through VHT cabs. I'd have to try it out on my own.

What cabs do you guys who own Deliverance use? Anyone have success with typical cabs (Recto, etc).

3. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

The D60 I had sounded great through the K100 Whitebox 212 or Greenback loaded EVH 412..sounded real good running both of those cabs together.

cGoEcYk likes this.
  4. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Uberschall or OG 5150/6505 would fit the bill nicely.

BlasphemyMadeFlesh likes this.
  5. Talmaci

Talmaci SS.org Regular

I gave a link in this post where Deliverance and Ultralead testes in VHT D412, Marshall 1960, Mesa Rectifier so you can hear the difference.
    For me they sound better in their cabs.

cGoEcYk likes this.
  6. MetalHead40

Before you ditch the Recto might be worth trying treble at zero mids and presence to taste. Then throw an MXR 10 band in the loop tailor to taste and top it off with OD of choice in front. I got rid of all the fizz and was happy with the tone of the MW I had. Wasn't fast tracking enough for the thrashy stuff I like to play. Still did it, but there are many other amps that do it better.

Nik/ and KailM like this.
  7. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Late to thread but never in a million years would I trade a Dual Rec for a Deliverance. The Deliverance is the perfect sixth amp if you have a good collection going, I guess, but after hearing one, it's like a big dollar pedal amp... whatever you put in front of it is where all your tone is going to come from. The amp itself sounds weird and niche, and I didn't like it at all.

If you want super saturated and percussive, I'd go for the classic 5150/6505 (not a 5153), old Mesa Marks, or even an Engl. 6505+ or 5150II crunch channel does saturated and percussive very, very well.

BlasphemyMadeFlesh and budda like this.
  8. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

+1. That goes for any amp that one is “almost” satisfied with. An EQ in the loop can take it the rest of the way. It can even make a not so great amp sound legit.

TedintheShed and MetalHead40 like this.
  9. MetalHead40

I honestly have not been happy with a single amp I've owned without the EQ in the loop. Removes the blanket, adds a 3D thickness, and allows you to tweak frequencies to taste. Maybe if I had never used one, but now that I have I could never play an amp without one.

KailM and TedintheShed like this.
  10. TedintheShed

TedintheShed Retired bassist pretending to play guitar

Yeah, I'm looking at some parametrics as we speak.

KailM likes this.
  11. MetalHead40

I've used the old black 10 band mxr for the last 12-15 years and love it. Out of curiosity I bought an Empress Para Eq last year and while cool, it's sits collecting dust. The MXR just does it for me.

12. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, straight in. We may just have a different idea of what saturation means. The UL is load and percussive, but it isn’t that wall of sound like a recto is. But that’s also why it cuts in a band situation, where the recto sounds like it IS the band.