Very disappointed with PRS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TedintheShed

Retired bassist pretending to play guitar
Reaction score
Epilogue: For those interested, I discussed it with my daughter. We have come to the conclusion that we are going to leave the guitar as-is. It will remain out for play and in my possession until she graduates at which time I will give her the guitar (contingent upon her obtaining her bachelor's degree) as her present. Once she does if she wants the neck modified I will pay for the luthier to do so as well as replace the pickups with Juggs if he still wants that, as once she owns it the warranty is voided anyway.

And for those particularly anal folks that were snooping through my post history and bitching about my signature and avatar, I'll change those as well so it won't bother you...or maybe I won't cause I can be a :dick:

:funny:

Ted

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I certainly understand the practicality of not taking what people say at face value. Especially when they are trying to sell you something.

However, when an employee is performing his job, he is in fact speaking on behalf of his employer (even if he has not been given the express permission to do so), and the employer is usually held legally liable for what their employees say and do while on the job. Granted, not everyone follows the law. And most such situations are not large enough to bother taking legal action over. But the employer is still technically responsible/liable for what it's employees say and do while on the job.

Again... good luck with that. And good luck taking legal action on that. A lot of sea lawyers with high ethical expectations in life around these parts. :cond:

TedintheShed

Retired bassist pretending to play guitar
Reaction score
One thing I forgot to mention in my last post, and that was to thank the people who responded with empathy as well as suggestions on how to move forward.

Lemonbaby

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I haven't looked into this thread yet, but from the picture I'd say your guitar was just clear coated in one run - including the neck. Really surprised how someone from PRS could even claim that this is a grain filler. :blahblah:

Besides, maple doesn't need any grain filler in the first place.

Dineley

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Epilogue: For those interested, I discussed it with my daughter. We have come to the conclusion that we are going to leave the guitar as-is. It will remain out for play and in my possession until she graduates at which time I will give her the guitar (contingent upon her obtaining her bachelor's degree) as her present. Once she does if she wants the neck modified I will pay for the luthier to do so as well as replace the pickups with Juggs if he still wants that, as once she owns it the warranty is voided anyway.

And for those particularly anal folks that were snooping through my post history and bitching about my signature and avatar, I'll change those as well so it won't bother you...or maybe I won't cause I can be a :dick:

:funny:

Ted

Haha no need to change sig and avatar.... Just seemed like there was some level of pride/love for the guitar was my only point

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
You're gonna be disappointed quite a lot in life thinking that way lol. e.g. I've had tons of people with shitty attitudes give me guff at Chipotle while taking my order, but I don't go online posting about how bad Chipotle as a company is. And I still eat there. You're welcome not too... more E Coli for me.

Also, you're hearing one person's side of the story 6+ mo after the event, yet you're unequivocally stating that "one of the faces of the company told him a falsehood". It's just as likely that there is/was confusion between the different reps he spoke with. After all, posters on here were confused in this very thread.

* fixed ;)

I'm not going to be disappointed in life thinking like that because that's how I conduct business and I sever ties with businesses that do not. It's why i'm very much tied to certain companies for building guitars - employees that can properly represent their companies and companies that make good on what they're employees promise.

It sounds like a very specific deal was reached with the guy in person. It's a pretty elaborate and expensive crock if he's just misunderstood someone telling him yes, walking away to "confirm" and coming back to confirm.

Giving a shitty attitude does represent the company. I don't eat where the employees treat their customers poorly. In this case, an employee of PRS told the guy something that would either make or break a very expensive deal. Saying its just the employee's fault and not the responsibility of the company puts that company immediately in the "not giving them a cent" category for me.

About 25 years ago, during the early days of the internet, I broke one of the posts on my Ibanez's lo-pro. The local store that was the main seller if Ibanez got told by the Ibanez distributor that they couldn't get the post for the most commonly used bridge in Canada. I sent a message to Ibanez PR directly saying that this was a very poor representation of their company and that if this was how Canadian customers were treated, I'd just switch brands. I got a *really* nasty phone call from the distributor telling me that Hoshino USA called him up and chewed him out. I had two brand new posts couriered from Ibanez in under a week and a written apology.

JSanta

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm not going to be disappointed in life thinking like that because that's how I conduct business and I sever ties with businesses that do not. It's why i'm very much tied to certain companies for building guitars - employees that can properly represent their companies and companies that make good on what they're employees promise.

It sounds like a very specific deal was reached with the guy in person. It's a pretty elaborate and expensive crock if he's just misunderstood someone telling him yes, walking away to "confirm" and coming back to confirm.

Giving a shitty attitude does represent the company. I don't eat where the employees treat their customers poorly. In this case, an employee of PRS told the guy something that would either make or break a very expensive deal. Saying its just the employee's fault and not the responsibility of the company puts that company immediately in the "not giving them a cent" category for me.

About 25 years ago, during the early days of the internet, I broke one of the posts on my Ibanez's lo-pro. The local store that was the main seller if Ibanez got told by the Ibanez distributor that they couldn't get the post for the most commonly used bridge in Canada. I sent a message to Ibanez PR directly saying that this was a very poor representation of their company and that if this was how Canadian customers were treated, I'd just switch brands. I got a *really* nasty phone call from the distributor telling me that Hoshino USA called him up and chewed him out. I had two brand new posts couriered from Ibanez in under a week and a written apology.

To a large extent, I do agree with you, but I think situation-ally, there are things to consider with this case. It was a large event with a lot of things going on. A question was asked in person and a verbal confirmation given. Rather than use the methods that PRS outlines on their website for use of the PTC (written confirmation along with documentation), a buyer did not do their due diligence in ensuring that what they wanted could be done with certainty. Should the PRS employee just have said "I don't know, you need to email the PTC using the form on the website"? Yes, but there is still a level of responsibility on the part of the buyer in this case IMO. To me, it does not make sense to make a purchase contingent on a modification without having all of the boxes checked prior to purchase, and that means having written confirmation from the vendor, not a conversation during a large event.

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
Is it weird that this thread actually has me gassing pretty hard for a PRS?

I've never owner one and they all look just wonderful.

Glad OP was able to figure something out. A shame you were fed misinformation, but at least the end user (your daughter) doesn't seem to mind so much. Hopefully she'll love it just fine once it's actually hers.

JSanta

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is it weird that this thread actually has me gassing pretty hard for a PRS?

I've never owner one and they all look just wonderful.

Glad OP was able to figure something out. A shame you were fed misinformation, but at least the end user (your daughter) doesn't seem to mind so much. Hopefully she'll love it just fine once it's actually hers.

Don't visit the PRS Lovefest thread. That's how I ended up with two this year :)

Musiscience

Tarnished
Reaction score
I have not read all the thread, but it MUST be different from the first run of Floyd CU 24. The one I have could not be more raw feeling. When I received it I was almost worried there no finish there. Do you have better pics/close up of the neck?

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
There is absolutely no reason why that neck cant have an oil finish. IMHO this seems like a disconnect in communication between the factory and their aftermarket division that does all the mods for customers.

What has likely happened is that since the guys modding the guitars don't actually make them and just modify existing guitars they probably don't even know that the new maple necks have a gloss. Plus why would maple need a UV grain filler? Maple requires no filler in the first place.

And I don't buy for one second that they wont do it for stability reasons. I have had company reps who should know their stuff argue with me in the past too about shit that should have been a no brainer. I would call again and ask to speak to someone different. And if worse comes to worse there are plenty of shops that can do this mod for you. And probably at half the price. Another option is to do it yourself. Its incredibly easy.

And you're not understanding, oil isn't proper protection against humidity and temperature changes..

Oh yeah? who told you that? Sure if you are just oiling it with mineral oil it wont provide any protection. But there are most certainly oil finishes that cure within the woodgrain and prevent the uptake of moisture. And NO finish protects against temp changes.

Last edited:

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
From personal experience, my gloss/satin guitars have always held up far better than my oiled ones.

Hell my Suhr 7 has a thin layer of satin on it's cocobolo neck to the point where I can feel the pores still. The neck on that thing has not moved once since I got it from the previous owner. But nearly every rosewood neck EBMM I owned in the past moved a lot with the humidity of South Florida, a neck that they simply oil. Their maple necks get gunstock oil and wax, which fare better. But my guitars that have a poly coat on the neck are definitely more stable.

So that's why I believe oil isn't a proper solution to deter changes in weather. Anything that I own with oil stays in it's case, and comes out when I feel like playing it.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, why would you buy your daughter a guitar for her graduation like 3 years early? If its for her, why would it "remain out for play" until she received it? And if you wanted her to have the perfect instrument, why would you A. order it for her and give her a guitar years later when her tastes may have changed(even though you decided the specs) and B.why wouldn't you let her choose the specs at the time of purchase so SHE could get exactly what she wanted and make sure her tastes didn't change. Mine change all the time. If I ordered a guitar now and had to wait 3 years for it, I probably would be over it by that time.

Just curious because a lot of this stuff doesn't make sense. And before you say something about questioning your integrity, realize you put all this stuff out there. Some of these things just don't make sense to me(and others in this thread apparently)

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
I’m baffled why everyone is questioning his intents so much. I think it’s rad. I’m working on specs for the perfect custom ESP to give my daughters as a graduation gift. They’re five. And home schooled. And one is left handed.

Musiscience

Tarnished
Reaction score
From personal experience, my gloss/satin guitars have always held up far better than my oiled ones.

Hell my Suhr 7 has a thin layer of satin on it's cocobolo neck to the point where I can feel the pores still. The neck on that thing has not moved once since I got it from the previous owner. But nearly every rosewood neck EBMM I owned in the past moved a lot with the humidity of South Florida, a neck that they simply oil. Their maple necks get gunstock oil and wax, which fare better. But my guitars that have a poly coat on the neck are definitely more stable.

So that's why I believe oil isn't a proper solution to deter changes in weather. Anything that I own with oil stays in it's case, and comes out when I feel like playing it.

I agree with Jonathan on this, oil finishes seems (at least to me) more prone to moving with moisture. For the cocobolo Suh 7, there is also the fact that Suhr keeps their neck hanging a long time (a month?) to make sure that they will not move after being carved. If a neck move, they will not make a guitar out of it. The Suhr guitars I had/have far more stable necks than any other brands even if not altered or roasted, PRS included.

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score

There is no doubt that poly finishes protect better. I just disagreed that all oil was the same and that none offer protection against humidity.
Just out of curiosity, why would you buy your daughter a guitar for her graduation like 3 years early? If its for her, why would it "remain out for play" until she received it? And if you wanted her to have the perfect instrument, why would you A. order it for her and give her a guitar years later when her tastes may have changed(even though you decided the specs) and B.why wouldn't you let her choose the specs at the time of purchase so SHE could get exactly what she wanted and make sure her tastes didn't change. Mine change all the time. If I ordered a guitar now and had to wait 3 years for it, I probably would be over it by that time.

Just curious because a lot of this stuff doesn't make sense. And before you say something about questioning your integrity, realize you put all this stuff out there. Some of these things just don't make sense to me(and others in this thread apparently)

I dont understand why you are getting hung up on any of that stuff. If you focus on what is relevant the only thing we really need to know is he bought a guitar with the promise certain aftermarket mods could be performed at a price. Now they have either went back on that or they are confused as to which guitar he actually bought. All the “i got it for my daughter” stuff really doesnt change any of that. He could have bought it for a midget boat rowing competition. It doesnt change the fact that he isnt getting what he was promised.

Last edited:

Señor Voorhees

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My dad bought me a Gibson Les Paul jr with a single p90 in it. I hate p90's. I love that guitar because he thought of me enough to get me a decently expensive (and this is sub $600 territory) piece of gear. I didn't pick it out, the specs are pretty far out of line with what I typically jive with and that guitar means more than even my semi-customs I own.

Considering his daughter likes it now, I doubt she'll NOT like it in 3 years... Hell, even ten years. It means a whole lot more just being given something rather than having someone ask you what you want and ONLY putting up the cash for it. Like the tropey rich father who just buys his kids exactly what they want instead of showing actual initiative or parenting. Perhaps that's just me. I know full well that if I received a $3k PRS, it could be clown barf tie dye burst over half weak flame, and half highly figured burl, and I would cherish the ugly fucking thing forever. :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.