Versatile cab setup for recording?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by narad, Nov 29, 2017.

1. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

So I'm moving to Tokyo in the spring time and I think it's quite plausible that I'm not going to be squeezing multiple 4x12s in a 50m^2 apartment! I've been thinking about alternative cab setups geared mostly for versatile recording (I've got 5 amps and maybe more by then), while hopefully not taking up all my available space.

One option I've been thinking about is maybe grabbing 2 Diezel 2x12s, now that sweetwater stocks them, as they have both the front and rear loads. And maybe add one of the mesa thiele evm 1x12s. That would give me 3 speaker types in roughly the same amount of space of a 4x12.

Could also setup one of the 2x12s like the Mills I have now -- which is av30/G12-H75 cross pattern -- so one of each, similar to the invective cab. That should sound good right-out, but also maybe allow some versatility from which speaker is more directly mic'd?

Kind of an open-ended question, but anyone have any thoughts on it?

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

aren't your walls going to be paper thin with neighbors?
    won't yo use discreetly stabbed if you disturb the peace?

your best bet is a front loaded iso cab and then a load box to di with.

narad likes this.
  3. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

For that small of a space I would say use an iso cab. Close the lid for recording and open the lid for when you want to practice.

If you’re walls are paper thin you may want to ditch cabs all together. Use plugins and get some good monitors

narad likes this.
  4. narad

huh, well I should be in a higher price range than the paper thin walls sort of thing (though I have lived in one where I think even a phone speaker would be audible nextdoor!). I imagine more concrete with some worry about potential downstairs neighbors.

But that's a cool option I hadn't considered -- seems like the available ISO gear has really expanded since I last checked like 5 years ago.

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Honestly, I can't say I've seen the point in having a fleet of cabs, especially if space is a concern, and I think this isn't a conversation we'd even be having ten years ago, before modelers and IRs encouraged us to think about changing cabs to change tones.

I own two cabs. I have a Rectifier (technically, Tremoverb) 4x12, that I play through and record everything through, and an Avatar 2x12 built in a Bogner manner that I own because my Recto cab is, on paper, 105 pounds, feels heavier, and I live on the 3rd floor of a 3-family condo unit with no elevator. And, because I can leave my Recto mic'd up and still take the head and this cab elsewhere to jam.

6. narad

Do you just use V30s though? I feel like the main lesson I learned from the modeler days is how much the speaker matters, and this is one element of the chain that's not really been transformed well to the digital world.

Though pretty much all my amps do sound pretty good with V30s - it's definitely not a necessity to have these others.

7. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Yeah I would look at getting something from Two Notes and then use some Impulse Responses. Unless you will also be playing out a lot and need to have a cab around anyways.

maggotspawn likes this.
  8. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

The one thing I regret...actually many things after I saw gear prices in china...but the biggest thing I regret is not buying an iso cab and shipping it over with my other stuff since I got all my gear freighted over anyway.

The 2 412s and 212 I actually did get shipped over are useless to me now.

narad likes this.
  9. aqa

aqa SS.org Regular

If it was me, i grab one 1x12 or one 2x12 just in case, and get some torpedo stuff, I recently got the Captor it is cheap and it`s amazing for recording real amps