Veil of Maya - False Idol

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Dcm81, Oct 20, 2017.

1. DoomJazz

DoomJazz Classic Lojack

I started listening with Eclipse, liked it, REALLY liked Matriarch, and I'm pretty certain that this album is going to be one of my favorites. I'm still learning some of the songs and deciding whether or not I like them, but the songs that I do immediately like have been on replay since it came out. Magyar is a monster.

2. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Which they would do something more similar to Eclipse but with some parts of Matriarch. But i kinda feel that the guitar work is pretty underwhelming for being something from Okubo, riffs are so simple and uninspiring compared to Eclipse.

3. penguin_316

penguin_316 SS.org Regular

The new album is heading in a good new direction, more melody is never a bad thing. It's called songwriting. It's not just riffs tossed together...or songs that are 5 minute breakdowns.

4. penguin_316

And ps Eclipse is their worst album by far, talk about generic and uninspiring tones/songs/etc. Their best work is arguably their newest two albums, But all of the albums except Eclipse have been great.

BIG ND SWEATY and Jake like this.
  5. no_dice

no_dice a very bad old bear

Sorry, but I don't agree with this generalization at all. Being more melodic doesn't inherently mean the songwriting is better. Applying that logic would mean that technically, Asking Alexandria are better songwriters than Meshuggah, simply because their style is more melodic.

It's cool if you like their new stuff more than the older stuff, but to say that it's objectively better simply on the merit of the added poppiness is just silly.

fps, LeoLmX and squids like this.
  6. penguin_316

Having been a member of the meshuggah forum for like 14 years or so and this one for almost as long, I can see your point. You missed mine though.

I feel as if VoM are growing in their ability to create actual songs with this new singer, not regressing and just tossing screams on top of everything. That is coming from a diehard meshuggah fan.

Maybe I worded it wrong, I feel they are cultivating a more complex sound. It's just my opinion though...

no_dice likes this.
  7. bpprox22

bpprox22 String Breaker

After another listen, I actually came to enjoy it a lot more than the first time around. I'm on board with it.

8. DoomJazz

DoomJazz Classic Lojack

Agreed. I have a feeling that whatever comes after this will be super polished.

9. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

That's your opinion, Id is by far worse than Eclipse. Common Man's Collapse, Eclipse and Matriarch are all better than False Idol imo.

10. no_dice

no_dice a very bad old bear

And I totally respect that. They don't owe it to me or anyone else to maintain their old sound. It bums me out a little that I don't enjoy the new stuff, but oh well, that's my loss. Life goes on.

11. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

Wrong.

12. squids

squids .

VOM- "False Statement"
    Id is easily my favorite veil album, and i'm sure others would agree with me. Misha from periphery co-wrote a decent amount of the songs on eclipse and it shows (their djentiest album)

13. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

I loved Eclipse, loved Matriarch and I love False Idols so far. I also love iD as well and the playing on that album has had an influence on my playing as a whole but that album had a massive issue for me with some of the songs not sounding concise for lack of a better term. Some of the songs were just very wall of noise and felt very random. Every album since has really improved on the song writing structure and made more concise, enjoyable songs. Eclipse, while boring in some instances guitar wise and in some other aspects, had much better structure.

Side note, if you don't think Follow Me is one of the best songs that Veil has put out ever, I'll scoff in your general direction very firmly

squids likes this.
  14. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

My first listen track by track hot takes:

Lull: Kind of strange for a VoM album opener, no chugdowns to be found, fairly cool atmosphere though.
    Fracture: Did not like the clanky single note tone at all, the choruses were pretty cool though.
    Doublespeak: I actually think the freakout riff @1:13 was fairly interesting, then how it ties into the breakdown. Solid song.
    Overthrow: Fairly punishing then -> "heroically" melodic, at first listen it sounded like it almost had a AAL S/T vibe. The single note breakdown sounds about like 10 years too old though, shit. Could have left that part out and still be a banger from the first half.
    Whistleblower: Video: What the shit. Song: Fairly... okay. Starting to get bored with the Periph/AAL single note stuff.
    Echo Chamber: Panic chords yay EER EER EER Clean outro NICE
    Pool Spray: Car Bomb does melting better and the chorus is starting to sound REALLY Spencer/Periphery
    Graymail: I'm starting to realize that I'm not this band's target demographic anymore. DJONK DJONK DJONK
    Manichee: Actually really really good for a melodic song and Magyar sounds like himself and not Spencer Sotelo
    Citadel: Another fairly interesting one that goes on light on the deep fried djoinks
    Follow Me: Holy Blasts, Batman! (In a good way) HE CAN STILL TREMOLO PICK WORTH A SHIT YAY
    Tyrant: THROWBACK Mosquito buzzing in the intro. The Mario synth was cool too. What was that outro though :lol:
    Livestream: Much like the rest I was half cringing and half liking it

I give it 3.5 Larry Davids out of 5, I liked Matriarch better.
    [​IMG]

LeoLmX and squids like this.
  15. anomynous

anomynous SS.org Regular

Eclipse is trash, only decent song is Punisher and we all know why

Kaura likes this.
  16. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Eclipse is a vastly solid album. I remember listening to it repeatedly in 2012, and it still works really well. I really think that the Misha + Marc combo brought the best combination to the table at the time. Can't compare to Matriarch, though.

17. penguin_316

+1 I know misha helped with that album and all but it's the songs themselves that seem to go nowhere and have very few memorable moments. Seemed lifeless to me. (This is my opinion, as pointed out earlier by the opinion police)

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  18. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

Dude WTF how dare you share your opinion. There are kids around.

19. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Yeah not to take away from ya boi Marsha Monsoon, the mix on Eclipse was pretty great imo and one of my favorites.
    But the actual content of the album and the lack of 'wow' moments make it a pretty forgettable release for me. Still good though, not a bad album; just not as good as their other stuff.

squids likes this.
  20. fps

fps Kit

Hilarious all these one listen reviews.

Presumably this is one of your favourite bands for a lot of you. They've just poured blood sweat and tears into a new release. At least spin the thing 20 times before passing judgment.