UV7PWH Body cracked at trem stud....

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by MIL8, Jan 15, 2017.

1. MIL8

MIL8 SS.org Regular

Can this be fixed? Is this something any competent luthier should be able to fix or do I need to find someone who specializes in this kind of work? Any idea of cost? The body is pretty beat up but if it can be fixed I'd like to do it because the guitar is all original.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    Can you post a pic from trem point of view? I can't understand how far does this crack goes, does it interfere with the stud's stability?

I'd say that this kind of repair would involve some wood replacement and, therefore maybe a refinish of the guitar, but I'm no expert on this matter.

3. MIL8

MIL8 SS.org Regular

So a picture from the back of the guitar looking forward?

Yea the trem is rubbing against the pickguard. I forgot to mention that the other stud is loose but the body isn't cracked.

4. odibrom

odibrom .

Yep, that photo is also needed for a better opinion via web. I can't say much more than what I already said, only that that pic will help understand how big the crack is and, therefore, define a possible solution.

5. MIL8

MIL8 SS.org Regular

OK see if these help.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Almost anything can be fixed. I'd consider preemptively reenforcing the other side too. That whole section in front of the trem would be routed out and plugged with a harder wood like maple.

I'm not sure you'd want to just try to glue that crack back together. Probably too hard to clamp, and lots of force is on that stud. Someone could just drill and plug that one stud, if you wanted to minimize the routing.

7. TheTrooper

TheTrooper SS.org Regular

That looks like the 2 pieces of wood that made the body are separating, not cracking.

Hard to say if it is going to separate entirely, but it's not going to happen overnight, just keep an eye on it; no need to worry right now.

The posts are always loose, there's no string tension that keeps them tight; the "studs" are the ones in the post (You use the 1,5mm allen wrench t tight them) and If You tight them now the posts will not move at all.

It's pretty normal considering that the guitar is 20-25 years old, unless of course it received a hard hit or something like that.

8. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

Damn,

were the locking studs used?

Sorry I can't help about the crack. Definitely needs the work of a luthier.

9. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

A decent luthier should be able to fix it for you, not sure what the best approach would be. There are some amazing adhesives/epoxies out there, so some kind of gap filling adhesive might work fine, as said, you can't just clamp it in that location. Definitely worth getting fixed right on an original UV!

10. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Whether it's a crack or just a separating glue joint, I personally wouldn't call it normal, and given the location it seems to be caused by the pressure from the stud, so I can only imagine it will get worse. If it were my guitar, I'd get it fixed now.

And if it is a separating glue joint, that's another reason not to just try to glue it back. Glue has a hard time sticking to old glue. A real fix almost surely will involving routing out the area and plugging it with a hardwood and redrilling for the stud.

11. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

As an amateur luthier and a former UVPWH owner, I've got good news and bad news....

First, you got yourself a UVPWH! That's awesome - they rock! Secondly, this is the Achilles' Heel of the UV's. A good tech can fill and redrill, and your crack doesn't look too bad but unfortunately this little sliver of basswood is the weak link. Even if you replaced the post area with a superhard epoxy, it's still anchored to the soft thin structure of the front route. My guitar went through three resets before I lost it. Maybe a reinforcement plate between the posts would serve better, if you wouldn't consider a new body, which honestly might be a better fix in the long run. A mahagony or ash body UV ?

12. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

If you fill it with superglue, it will wick into the grain where it's weakest and harden it as it dries. Superglue dries super duper hard, and the only thing it can't take is shearing forces, which are not present in this scenario. Aluminium tape might be better than masking tape for protecting the surrounding area, because superglue wicks into masking tape just like it wicks into wood. Don't try to do it all at once, it will leave a mess. Make sure to keep a bottle of nail polish remover handy, it dissolves superglue.

Epoxy, wood plugs, etc. will not help you with the stress lines that are already in the body.

13. TheTrooper

TheTrooper SS.org Regular

I was thinking that might be caused by a hard hit at the post, while the post was into the hole; that might have caused the crack.

Epoxy could work there; if it splits more, plugging the hole and redrilling might be the solution.

14. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

out of curiosity did you get this fixed? interested to see how they'd fix it

15. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

These cracks are very common on the early UVs. I've probably owned over half a dozen with this problem, which oddly enough seems to be more common on PWHs.

The only totally permanent fix I've seen is to remove the stud bushings and drill out the wood and fill them with hardwood dowels. Alternatively, if your repairman is so inclined, route out the whole area in front of the trem and patch it with a larger piece of hardwood.

It's not the easiest or quickest fix, but it's certainly not brain surgery for an experienced tech or luthier.

Cosmetically, that's really going to depend on the person doing the job. If they have a fair amount of experience with finish repairs they should be able to mix up some poly that'll match the faded creamy white.

Expect it to come out to between $300 and $600 depending on method and how pretty you want it to look in the end.

16. MIL8

MIL8 SS.org Regular

No not yet. I have talked with the repair guy at the local store and he is willing to do the job. I have a Squire Strat that has the same problem so I'm letting him fix that first and I'm going to see how it comes out then decide if I'll let him work on the UV. I'm not too worried about cosmetics, this UV is pretty beat up, but I do want the repair to work properly and last.

17. odibrom

odibrom .

Good call..

18. MIL8

MIL8 SS.org Regular

Well I got it back today after the repair, and well I'm happy.

I gave him the Squire back in February and I'm not quite sure exactly what he did but it involved marine epoxy, some new wood and a metal plate. Been playing the guitar off and on and the repair seems to be holding up well. So I gave him the UV a couple of weeks ago and just got it back today. I haven't pulled the guard yet to see exactly what he did but I imagine it is something similar. Also had him do a fret level crown and polish, and a full setup as well. The guitar is just simply amazing now, it plays like a dream, the necks on these guitars are some of the best ever made I think. And of course it always sounds amazing.

My old UV is performing better than it ever has since I bought it! I'll try to take some good pictures of it when I get time.

19. odibrom

odibrom .

you're bound to post pictures of the disassembled guitar for us to see what and how was done to it... please...

20. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

that's great to hear that it plays well now!!! glad to hear.

I too would be interested in seeing how it was done!