Using VST Synths Live

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by RGA8, Feb 4, 2013.

1. RGA8

RGA8 SS.org Regular

Hello guys, my band is needing to activate VST Synth sounds in a live setting. I've got a couple of ideas brewing and I wanted to see if anyone has any experience doing something like this and could share some tips and gear options.

I have a laptop and a USB audio interface to provide my ins and outs. What I'd like to know is, is there any midi foot controller that would work well for this application? Or should I just get a standard keyboard style midi controller and make my singer do something? ;^)

2. WhiteWalls

WhiteWalls SS.org Regular

ICON-Global-G-Board

This is what I use. It's a bit different because I use it to switch guitar patches or enable effects/trigger bass drops, but it's a midi floor controller designed specifically for laptop users, so as long as you know how to program midi commands inside your daw you can make it do whatever you want.

3. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

our drummer has a sample pad and he drops a few things in there with that .
    we record the sound into it and he triggers it

I've done a bit of live stuff with a laptop on stage and its always a gamble

4. RGA8

RGA8 SS.org Regular

WhiteWalls: Cool thanks! I'll check that out.

mongey: did your laptop crap out on you live?

5. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19 Playing life by ear

Thanks for posting that! I was just checking out their v-gig interface, and it looks pretty sweet!

6. Eric Christian

Eric Christian Banned

I would never trust a normal computer of any kind for live shows. I know that entire banks of rack computers are used for real high end pop acts where basically everything is prerecorded and effects on vocals and instruments are changed automatically during the song with CC Midi and lots of other fancy stuff. A much safer & reliable alternative to using a laptop with VST's is to record whatever sound you want into one of those Roland loop pedals and then just trigger that instead.

Another alternative which is used by high end acts like NIN, Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson where they have a defined set which has songs that use lots of samples/intros for example would be just to use backing tracks along with a click track out to the drums on a DAT machine or digital recorder. Typically its controlled by the drummer but may be controlled by some kind of tech at the board as well. Not like Milli Vanilli lip synch bullshit but all the horror movie samples etc. Those guys sets are real nailed down tight from song to song so if you want to take a break and talk to the audience someone has to be there pushing switches.

On a side note I was watching a video where Zakk Wylde was talking about his gear and explaining how he has a tech behind his amps during the whole show clicking his pedals on and off and tweaking knobs at exactly the right time. All Zakk was doing really was controlling his wah.

7. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

My laptop hasn't crapped out live, it has at rehearsal , but a while ago I was playing some guitar with a electronic thing with vinyl dj and a singer with a pc doing The backing tracks and it flipped out on stage . Song dies half way through and daw needs restarting . Not a fun place to be.

8. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19 Playing life by ear

A friend of mine was using one of the Boss BR-series recorders to play drum and bass tracks. That's a good option if you're not good at computer maintenance- which is most likley the main reason for failure.