Using Electric Bass Guitar as Upright Bass

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by DXL, Aug 8, 2014.

1. DXL

DXL SS.org Regular

Okay this may be a really weird question but I would be very happy if this could actually be done. But would you able to use a bass guitar as an upright bass? I have an octave pedal so I can use that to hit the low notes, but I'm more concerned about playing it upright. Do they sell endpins that can be attached to bass guitars?

2. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

Hm..I was expecting this thread to be going in a different direction, but I'm sure you might be able to rig something up if you're crafty...

but I've gotten an upright-bassy tone with eq and palm muting..

3. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall Player

Get a big dowel at Home Depot and stick it on there. An upright doesn't play notes lower than an electric bass, but the tone is radically different. Fretless, high action, heavy flat wound strings, piezo pickup, and a foam mute under the strings will sound like a sh*tty upright.

4. F1Filter

F1Filter Contributor

Not sure why you'd need an octave pedal. Tuning is the same on both electric and upright (assuming you're in concert pitch).

If you're more concerned about replicating the actual timbre of an upright. Just do what Leo Fender intended the Precision Bass for. Use flatwounds and a foam mute.

5. Murmel

Murmel SS.org Regular

Basically what theemptycell said.
    I find Precision basses to be the best choice when emulating upright. There's a fretless Squier Precision on the market for cheap, I'm tempted at grabbing one to mess around with.

6. TheEmptyCell

Hollowbody also helps.

You're better off saving your money and time and getting yourself an electric upright like an Ergo.

7. DXL

DXL SS.org Regular

Oh I never knew that upright bass and bass guitar were the same tuning, I guess it was the tone that through me off. Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll try to make this work :lol:

8. DXL

DXL SS.org Regular

Okay second question, anyone have any idea how to get the dowel on the bass without ruining the bass and so that it can easily be taken off and put back on? I was thinking of gluing a strong magnet to the end of the dowel and sticking it to the strap peg.

9. TheEmptyCell

The strap peg is too narrow, I would assume, for this to work.

Get a dowel, drill a hole in one end, and drive a long screw into it, leaving an inch or inch and a half sticking out. Cut the head of the screw off, take your strap peg off, and then screw your stick to your bass. Congrats, you'll have the most awkward, uncomfortable upright bass in history. It won't rest correctly against your body and will try to rotate away from playing position.

10. DXL

DXL SS.org Regular

I would hope so since this whole thing is costing me around 5 bucks :lol: