Using an OD with a Distortion Pedal ?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JCSeven, Dec 17, 2016.

1. JCSeven

JCSeven Butchery & Grinding

Hello guys,

I had this silly idea since I have a Peavy VK112 but the Lead Channel (Gain) is busted...

I used to use the clean channel with a distortion in front of the amp as my main clippy sound but I'm going to upgrade for a head/cab combo as soon as I get the cash.

Since I will need the OD in the future anyways and that christmas is coming, would a OD be fun to have right now to just tighten the distortion?

Should it come before or after the dist?

Thanks alot guys !!

2. EmaDaCuz

EmaDaCuz Brutal yet soulful

I do that, and I have done it in the past.
    Now I run a TC Electronics Dark Matter into a Blackstar HT Dual. In the past, the combo was Boss SD-1 into Metal Zone.

It works with an OD, doesn't really work with TS like pedals, IMHO.

3. JCSeven

Great, I planned on using an SD-1 cause it's so cheap.

:)

4. JCSeven

Do you mean you had the OD-1 after the Metal-Zone in the chain or before?

Which one is in front of the amp?

5. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

You know, the VK amps aren't all that complicated.
    Maybe it's worth getting fixed?

Might be as simple as one half of a preamp tube crapped out. That would be like a $20 fix tops.

6. EmaDaCuz

EmaDaCuz Brutal yet soulful

Guitar --> SD-1 --> Metal Zone --> Amp :hbang:

7. thraxil

thraxil cylon

Stacking ODs and distortion can definitely work, but it's also kind of alchemy. Certain combinations of guitar, OD, distortion, and amp sound great while others will sound like crap. You're really going to have to try for yourself.

Personally, I think it's worth picking up an OD (or several) though. They're just useful for shaping your tone in so many situations. The danger is that collecting ODs can become a bit of an obsession. I have way too many already and there are always a bunch more that I want to pick up (I have an EHX Soul Food coming in the mail today, even).

8. JCSeven

Haha yeah I get what you mean, I already plan on upgrading to a Maxon 808 in the future.

I dig this pedal cause it is so cheap, it's going to be fun to mess around with.

9. Baelzebeard

Baelzebeard Grinder of strings

I do this as my main distorted tone. Works like a charm for me. (JHS Sweet Tea(ts808+Angry Charlie), or EQD White Light+ Walrus Iron Horse )

Don't be surprised if you need to experiment with different stacking combos before you find exactly what you want. I run my gain stages low to high to overdrive the high gain pedal just like an amp. If you run the OD last it will act more as a level boost than gain enhancement.

10. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

There are a ton of pedals that cascade one side into the other.

-Visual Sound/Truetone Jekyll & Hyde
    -Fulltone GT-500
    -just to name a few, not to mention the dozens of distortion pedals that have a built in "boost" (some of them even have the option of being able to use the boost either on it's own or you can choose the order in which one side feeds into the other. The Fulltone pedals are good examples of this option).

But like Thraxil said, not every od will get good results feeding into a distortion pedal, that's why the '2-in-1' pedals are a good option because they're designed to sound good right off the bat.

11. JCSeven

Thanks guys,

seems my lead channel isn't busted, I was so dumb I forgot to engage the volume button. (wow!)

At least now I can use my new Boss SD-1 to tighten the gain and if I need to I might add my distortion pedal in there.

Soon I will probably retube that amp (upgrading it surely) and buy a Maxon pedal cause they slay :bowdown:

12. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

Here's what i do;

run a 'preamp in a pedal' type dist box (in this case a DLSiii/jcm800 preamp) set to med-low gain, then run a bunch of od/dist pedals into it with either fairly high vol or with med-high gain.

It seems to work really well for some reason, the DLS is transparent enough that each pedal going into it sounds different (or reacts differently) & also fills out the sound of each one which would otherwise sound sterile or buzzy on their own.

I can do this with a amt R1 (rectifier preamp) aswell, but that's not so transparent and doesn't always work with everything like the DLS.