Used NGD - ESP D-DR - Die (DIR EN GREY) Signature Model

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by bnzboy, Jun 19, 2018.

1. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

[​IMG]

Hello, the guitar arrived a couple days ago and I had chance to play for hours to understand its pros and cons.

Pros:
    -27 inch scale with 9s (drop C#), or baritone scales with light strings in general, is clearly a win for me. The tone is crystal clear and does not get flubby. I prefer thinner strings over thicker strings if I can get away with it.
    -Construction wise this is the most sturdy bolt on guitar I have ever played. Frets are spotless and it plays like a solid MIJ ESP guitar.
    -47mm body thickness seems to make the body resonate deeper.
    -The previous owner has installed Nazgul/Sentient and they are awesome. I think I prefer Nazgul over Black Winter but Omega is still my favourite pickup. Also the previous owner has wired them to have JP6 wiring and you get that awesome sparkly single coil-ish tone in the middle position

Cons:
    -27 inch scale does make it harder to play especially above 12-14th frets for soloing. Stretches can be challenging especially if you are trying to pull off Dimebag style pinky workout licks and fast runs.
    -It is heavy.
    -The bodyshape is awesome but my taste may change; I actually wanted this model so bad since when I was in highschool but you never know.
    -The rightside horn gets in the way when you are playing above 15th fret. This is actually quite annoying.
    -Sentient can sound a bit sterile but it is not really a big deal for me.
    -Probably won't be able to sell it in the future because it is such a niche guitar. Oh well I will keep it forever.

2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Yes, visual kei is a niche genre, but crazy metal looking guitars with ESP block letter logo headstocks are definitely not!

Some people say that 27" is nothing but like you I can definitely feel the difference the most when I'm doing a guitar solo.

Also I can only know it because you've said so but that lower horn does look really really tight to squeeze your hand into.

It's an interesting and disillusioning experience when you get a guitar that you're certain that you'll love but then you don't.

And even though we say Visual Kei is niche, Dir En Grey is still one of if not the most popular band of the genre, so I'll bet you there's some other folks who would want a Die sig.

HNGD!

bnzboy likes this.
  3. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

Oh man I am loving this guitar alright but yes I would have never known about those cons especially the horn. Funny I only realized that when I was trying to learn some Pantera tunes but otherwise I would have not noticed it. Luckily I got other guitars so this will be primarily used for rhythm playing. Still, the lead tone is great with lots of sustain. I've been looking for a good used deal for about 10 years and finally I got it; I would never purchase a new one for it.

4. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

Visual kei is all ESP promotes in Japan, and they basically have any artist worth anything on their roster in that genre. It's a sterile genre, plagued by years of record companies ruining what X built on (because of those shitty fuckers Glay). All V-kei bands sound the same and have the generally same kind of makeup.

5. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

huh never thought Glay was the culprit but I agree that the genre is frowned upon. I think the OG VK era went belly up after Hide's death; it would never be the same again.

6. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Did you snag this used off Reverb or GC's used site? There was one of these on one of those two sites (I can't recall which at the moment), and it had caught my eye since I'm a Dir En Grey fan.

Regarding your statement about selling the guitar, you'll be able to sell it. I've seen several of the various Die signature models (Edwards and ESP) sell over time, coming out of some of the most random areas of the world.

7. MatiasTolkki

That's because you probably havent looked at the connections between modern v kei and the early stuff.

X Japan hit in the mid-late 80s, with their own style and such. Very much heavy metal. It wasn't until they started gaining popularity with their sappy ballads that the beginnings of the neo V-kei boom started.

The beginnings Neo V-kei I would describe as the post X-Japan stuff, mainly Luna Sea and Glay. Luna Sea eventually broke up but Glay gained a MASSIVE audience in the absences of stuff like Luna sea and X. Their brand of neo v-kei became the blue print of ALL of the modern bands (record labels saw yen signs). This is why most v-kei bands follow Glay's formula and they all sound sterile and weak, just like glay's commercial crap (which is basically X-Japan's commercial crap, just not as sappy).

Of course there have been outliers like Versailles, but the SECOND Versailles signed to Warner Japan back in like 09 or something, they soon started following that exact same pattern, because Kamijo and the record label demanded it (this is why Hizaki threw out Kamijo from the band, got a new vocalist, and created Jupiter, so he could get the heavy back).

I dont even give two shits about V-kei, but I've found the threads that connected the entire genre together, and the only thing I can find that, sonically, sounds anything like modern V-kei is Glay.

8. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

I got it from Reverb but yeah I've seen it being sold on Ebay sometimes. I've seen them twice when they came to Canada and was a really big fan too right upto Withering/Marrow; after that I lost interest. Surprisingly in good condition too considering it was built around 2011 according to the seller.

9. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Chugs and Sweeps

Congrats and HNGD

bnzboy likes this.
  10. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

Wow...now that's an interesting shape and I really dig all the bevelling around the body. Sweet guitar and congrats on your purchase.

;>)/

bnzboy likes this.
  11. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

yup bevel b4 kiesel :p

BlackSG91 likes this.
  12. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

HNGD!

Sort of reminds me of Wylde Audio though.

bnzboy likes this.
  13. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

glad mine didnt come with those block inlays though

beerandbeards likes this.
  14. khanate7

khanate7 SS.org Regular

Hit me up if you want to get rid of this ever.

15. MatiasTolkki

Kiesel stole the bevel on the aries from the Ibanez RGD.

16. Crash Dandicoot

Crash Dandicoot ยป Supra-ise!

Image isn't working for me through multiple browsers :(

Congratulations regardless! Nice to see someone else repping the oddball Japanese ESP sigs.

bnzboy likes this.
  17. NewCultKing

NewCultKing SS.org Regular

Looks like someone necroed this post, either way congrats on this beast. I got a used/abused one from GC for a steal back in February. Very nice guitar!

bnzboy likes this.
  18. khanate7

khanate7 SS.org Regular

lol is it still necro if its only 3 months old? You snagged that out from under me, was it all thrashed when it came?

I actually found a minty DDR for cheapish last night right after I posted here. Its through a japanese store that definitely doesnt ship to the usa so I had to use a purchasing service. Its a holiday in japan for the next couple of days so somebody could still walk in to the store and buy it out from under me so we will see what happens.

19. MatiasTolkki

wrong, the 3 day weekend ended yesterday, everything is back to business as usual today.

20. khanate7

khanate7 SS.org Regular

Looks like youre right. Hopefully buyee gets off their ass and gets me that guitar before someone else snags it.