Used market anecdotes

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Merrekof, Jan 20, 2020.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

remember kids, it's not strong arm robbery if it's not a real gun :p

2. Iron1

Iron1 Old School Blacksmith

My latest one was some guy trying to trade me a Mitchell MD100 for an L6 412 cabinet loaded with v30s. He kept me on the phone for 10 minutes trying to convince me the Mitchell was this great brand because Guitar Center owned them... and the local GC had a used MD100 hanging on the wall for $80 at the time (which seemed pricey to me)...

To top it off he told me he had an MD200 that was "worth far more than [my] 412" so he wouldn't offer to trade me that one (even though I clearly had no interest in any of his Mitchells) and he tried to convince me the MD200 was equivalent to a Soloist or RG550... he now has that MD200 on Craiglist for $110... https://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/msg/d/corpus-christi-mitchell-md200-electric/7047750262.html

Edika likes this.
  3. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Not music gear, but I was selling a computer for a friend and someone offered me a trade.....for the exact same computer with less RAM in it.

4. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

I had a guy turn up to buy a guitar the other day, he spent about 30 mins checking it out then offered to pay
    by bank transfer after taking the guitar home with him first of course. Nope!!

Adieu, Edika and Ordacleaphobia like this.
  5. vortex_infinium

vortex_infinium SS.org Regular

Fun Fact: I started buying and selling things via online local listings in the early-mid 2000s and have kept every correspondence since. I should go through them some day bring back some memories.

- I had no idea the motorcycle thing was a thing. Also thought it was just me. I live in a dense city I get offered bicycles all the time. Coincidentally, I am a cyclist, I just don't want people soliciting things I didn't ask for.

- People really like to offer me collections. Like if I'm listing a piece of gear worth thousands of dollars used why would I want your 5 Boss pedals, no name bundle amp, Line 6 Spider, 2 Squires and a Epiphone bass that you covered in teenage angst stickers (lets not forget how amazing it is that they're throwing in 3 patch cables and a guitar strap for free!). Half the time it's not even guitar related, people try to start bundling game consoles, paintball stuff, vapes, gaming magazines, and all sorts of things, the latter usually happens on cheaper gear, thinking anything someone grew out of they're trying to move for their new interest.

- People who send different messages for each individual thought they have. If you have 2 or 3 messages before I respond that's cool, gotta collect your thoughts and get organized or whatever, it happens. Instead my phone and watch blows up for a solid 30s at a time instead of one single message, then I check my Inbox and have 40 emails.

- Dual deal counting your chickens before they hatch. When I meet someone somewhere and they're just waiting on someone else to buy something from them so they can buy something from me. One time I was planned on meeting someone half-way which was a 2 hour drive and then on the day of the guy said the deal was on then the deal was off 4 times before lunch.

- People who don't own any sort of camera in this day and age. Or "pic is not mine but it's the same one".

efiltsohg likes this.
  6. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch PRS Guitars

I don't recommend doing deals at your house. The Venn diagram of Kleptoweirdos and Musicians has too much uncomfortable overlap and I don't want my 2,000 hours of Skyrim stolen from me in the dead of night.

Nlelith, Edika, brector and 2 others like this.
  7. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

I can't believe someone actually had the stones to try and pull that one in person, lol.

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  8. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

I usually try to word/construct my listings to avoid crazy lowballs/offers for strange stuff. Someone did offer me a pair of Comic-Con tickets for an MiJ RG570 - not the worst trade IMO, but I needed the cash.

9. IbanezDaemon

Yep. Drove for 90 mins as well to get to me with zero cash on him.

Edika likes this.
  10. Ulvhedin

Ulvhedin Phrygianist

It has become a thing for me to offer aprox. 50kg of sea salt to people if their pricing is all hilariously high or if I'm in a certain kind of mood.

I've been offered a boat motor for my Diezel Herbert. Might've been a profitable trade, but I didn't wanted to be stuck with a damn boat motor when I have no knowledge of such things, albeit kinda hilarious.

Choop likes this.
  11. odibrom

odibrom .

That's what he said, not necessarily the truth... he might lived 10 minutes away from you...

12. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

The first time I used Venmo, someone tried telling me that it can take a little while for the payment to show up on my end, when in reality he entered my info wrong. I think he actually looked me up first, took a screenshot to show my profile was up, and then sent funds purposefully to a different address or something.

When I didn't get the funds a few minutes later after he had already left, I texted him back. Nothing.

The idiot (well...the idiot besides me) used his work phone to text me, so when I googled his number, I got to his linkedin profile and saw where he worked.

I sent him a follow-up text asking him if it would be more convenient for him if I swung by his office to pick up payment in person.

i never got a reply text/email, but I got a payment notification in, like, less than 1 minute later.

Lesson learned: Real Venmo transfers happen nerly immediately unless THEY did something wrong, if you have an account set up with the app already.

13. IbanezDaemon

It's possible I guess. He said he would be back with cash in the next few days and I never heard from him again.

odibrom likes this.
  14. vortex_infinium

vortex_infinium SS.org Regular

Okay nobody take this the wrong way but I used to do this for my own security once a meetup was arranged. This was also back during the social media boom before online privacy was a PSA. You can take any information and throw it into search engines. "Text/Call me at 555-5555" Google it see where it's posted publicly. Have their name? Put it into Facebook, their profile is probably public (back then). And if not you can click around to get an idea of what's up with the persons social circles. Email address but no name? Depending on their search privacy settings Facebook might give you that too, along with their profile. Google it and anything they've done that has a email address indexed in the search comes up, high school reunions, sports teams, volunteering, less popular and less secure social media. If possible check their listings, Kijiji requires a postal code (or a semi-specific location?) and half the time people put their home postal code (I put the postal code of the public place where I'm intending to meet). The list goes on... None of this ever took more than 5 minutes. Back then the majority of the time I knew the person I was meeting better than some of my co-workers and acquaintances before we ever even met. And a few times I've made excuses to back out of deals based on what I've seen about them online.

Choop and odibrom like this.
  15. spudmunkey

I usually only bother if the person sounds like they could be cute, or if it's a name from a country/culture I'm not famiilar with, I'll look it up to see if it's more likely a man or woman's name, just so I know what to expect when communicating/meeting with the person.

JimF likes this.
  16. odibrom

odibrom .

I've got a Roland FC200 for sale at local facebook groups and web sites, today I got a call from a guy with a very specific accent that was hard to understand. He was speaking my native language, but the accent was very strong and difficult to understand.

I'm sure lots of you have had situation where the buyer/seller had a very difficult to understand accent that translated into impossible transactions...

17. spudmunkey

I've got a pretty good ear for being able to understand very thick accents...

...except from India and its neighbors. Holy hell, I just can seem to key-in to the percussive, sing-songy, "doot doot doot" nature of the languages of that part of the world. And one of my bosses lived in India for the first 20 years of her life, then spent the next 30 working with companies that have ofices in India. So what I'm saying is that she has a very "of India" way of speaking. She keeps calling me from her car's bluetooth, and combined with it being so muffled, i can't understand a single word she says. :lol:

odibrom likes this.
  18. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

I had a guy offer me a "rare Glock 19" for for the sunn beta bass I was flipping a few months back. In all reality I guess he probably didn't think it was a wierd offer, but I've never had anyone offer anything up for trade other than other music gear before so it caught me a bit off guard. I politely declined so he tried to trade me some lower end LTD viper. Had to politely decline that too lol

19. Rock4ever

Rock4ever SS.org Regular

I had a guy offer a beater pickup truck, in which he invested about $4k(his number) in iron cross bling(gear shift knob, tire flaps, etc) for a Jackson RR3 I was trying to move on craigslist.

20. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I mean, if there's not too much rust and it runs I'd take that in a heartbeat.

I'm somewhat addicted to crap-can winter beaters. It's a problem.