Used market anecdotes

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Merrekof, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

To go further with what's been talked about on another thread here. I read people got offered coke, nudes or whatever in exchange for a guitar or gear. I might be funny to read what other people dealt with.

I'll start off. I'm currently selling a TC electronic RS212 locally. New price was around 600€ and today someone offered me 100€ for it. Obviously, I thought it was kinda at the low end tbh. When I looked at his profile, I saw he's selling a BMW 3 series for 2600€. I'm think I'm gonna send him an exchange proposal...

2. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

I think it happens to a certain kind of ad that shows people who are new to this somehow?

I've flipped a LOT of stuff, and nope, not much circus crap

3. Nlelith

Nlelith Motion Designer

Someone offered me plastic windows once. Don't remember if I was selling a guitar or some other gear at the time, though.

4. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

I was selling a guitar, asking price of 550€. Dude offered me 150 and rest of the payment as craft beer because he owned a brewery, 80€/case. Only five cases of overpriced beer :p

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire bring out your dead

I got offered an Ibby RGDIR7M for a snowblower a couple of years ago. Also got offered a mesa 4x12 cab for an air conditioner once :lol:

Edika likes this.
  6. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch PRS Guitars

Showed up to the parking lot we were going to meet at and he gets out of the car and says "I don't have the money right now but if you help me load it into my car I can get back to you sometime."

Guamskyy, fps, AdenM and 16 others like this.
  7. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Oh yeah, circus crap is coming up :D

8. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Did you perhaps describe whatever you were selling as "big, juicy" and add "interesting trades considered" to tickle their buying bone?

movingpictures likes this.
  9. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

One day, a friend wanted a guitar so he looked up some online ads and find a Charvel for sale. It was one of the china line they made some years ago. He called the guy, set up a rendez-vous for the next day. The next day, i arrive at his place, ready to go with him. He decided to take some time to play some game on his computer. After a while, we went but he took the wrong direction and we ended up in the middle of nowhere with no phone signal. After a while and a phone call to the seller, we arrived at his house, 1 HOUR LATE!!
    But, that moron didn't take any money with him (!!!) so he had to go back and find an ATM which took an extra 45mn. 45mn that i spend with the seller and his family (nice people). Finally this idiot arrived, paid, we went back home.
    Note that he NEVER played that guitar and ended up selling it with a brand new Randall RG80 for 300€ (the amp alone was 280€)...

Edika, c7spheres and Alex79 like this.
  10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I find I just tend to get offered a lot of old xbox consoles for trade.

c7spheres likes this.
  11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

So. Many. Motorcycles.

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  12. Crash Dandicoot

Crash Dandicoot » Supra-ise!

Oh my god, you too? WHY IS IT ALWAYS MOTORCYCLES?

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  13. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Very easy to steal with a pickup truck?

14. Choop

Choop n______n

When I was pretty young I sold a 5150 2x12 combo once locally via ebay...you know, the monster-huge ones. The guy comes over and checks it out and plays through it some. All is well so he and a guy he had brought with him lugged it to their car while I follow still chatting with him a little bit. He drove a small sedan, and when he opened the door to the back seat he had (presumably) his kid in a car seat on the far side of the car! I told him that it'd be cool if he needed to come back on a different day--that I would hold it for him, but he insisted on cramming that massive combo into the back seat. It was banging up against the kid's car seat and I just stood there awkwardly not sure what to do or say, haha. He finally budged it just enough to clear the door and left in a big time hurry. XD

I'm not even sure what I sold it for at the time, but it must of have been a sweet deal!

Edit: Not really related to being offered anything weird, just was a weird sale haha. I don't normally get offered any particularly odd things for trade, but definitely get offered junk gear about 99% of the time. That and the people who show up with no or significantly less cash to offer. .-.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Flemmigan likes this.
  15. stevexc

stevexc Contributor

I've been offered tattoo work before. Would have taken him up on it too if he wasn't... mediocre at best.

16. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

No guns?

17. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

Was offered an industrial spray painter for an RG prestige about a year ago. Honestly probably not that bad of a deal if I needed such.

18. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

I've never been offered anything weird, but I have received my fair share of sob stories. One in particular that I remember was a woman on Reverb trying for me to sell my Parker Fly Artist (one of a kind) for about half my listing price because they were short on money and her husband really wanted one, but sold it when they were in tough financial times. I think she was being sincere, but I couldn't believe that someone would ask me to do that over a guitar.

JimF likes this.
  19. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Plenty of Hi Points and Taurus, maybe an oddball Dan Wesson or janky parts AR.

The gun folks seem to be more stingy than the power equipment guys.

Probably the most unique offer was a backhoe...the construction kind...and it was a little tempting. Maybe if had more land. :lol:

20. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

I traded a shotgun for a guitar back before Craigslist frowned on that sort of thing.

IbanezDaemon likes this.