Usb -> 9V pedal power

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by slowro, Jun 11, 2020.

1. slowro

slowro Drunken Scot

Hi, been away for a long time but I've got my passion back and I am playing a lot again

Anyway I am getting a 2i2 scarlett and I would like to have my polytune on my desk beside it for easy tuning. I want to get something tidy and not mains powered to power it. I have enough outlets being used already.

Any recommendations on what I could use?

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Did you have it as part of a rig or something? I might suggest keeping it there for when you're not using the computer.
    When you're using the interface with the computer, just use a tuner in your DAW.
    If you want something on the desk, I'd just get one of those handhelds like a Boss TU80 or something

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I would imagine that USB power from a PC would be a lot of risk of weird noise and grounding issues. A while ago, I had tried using a USB powered synth to feed into an amp to see if I could make some cool noises from it - if I powered it from the wall it was ok, but as soon as I connected it to a PC for power, it made all kinds of horrible buzzing sounds. I imagine you'd be severely limited in how many things you could power this way too - I don't think USB ports typically have much power to them. Someone smarter than me could probably explain that a better way.

4. slowro

slowro Drunken Scot

I just prefer the way I can put it straight on also acting as a mute for the input. Its the only pedal I have left now. I never really thought about the grounding issues that might come up. Last time I played guitar thru PC it was a guitarport!

5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

If a device is designed for that purpose, I would hope that they covered that scenario, but something that wasn't designed with the idea of power coming from USB might not work great that way. It might be fine, I don't know definitively, but it might not work well.