US Political Discussion: Trump Administration Edition (Rules in OP)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Protesting does work. You're seeing it right now. Change isn't fast but it's happening.

zappatton2 and Randy like this.
  2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Honestly, this is exactly what would cause more rioting. I've said it before, but if you look at Canada, I think what happened today was the correct response. Let people protest peacefully. Respond with support. Our cops, while recognizing they were the target of the protest, were out giving people water, keeping protesters safe, etc. They continued to do their job, as they should. That doesn't get them "off the hook" by any means, but it was the correct response to what's happening, IMO. This "we'll put them in their place" response is part of what's provoking people to act out even more.

I honestly can't think of a more evil person for the role than the person already there.

I'll agree with you on this part, at least.

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

4. shadowlife

shadowlife Contributor

I have zero objection to this.

But if there is a crowd protesting at Bryant Park, and group of people looting over on Park Ave, the first group should absolutely be allowed to continue what they are doing, the second group should be stopped and arrested.

5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

If those arrests can be done in a safe and reasonable manner, without inciting any more problems, then maybe there's an argument there. But if you need to incite more violence to do so, then no - let it happen. Not because it's ok, but because it's the lesser of the two evils happening.

That's what people are getting at -> nobody is endorsing theft and destruction of property at face value, but recognizing that it's not the worst thing that's going on right now. If one guy is smashing a window and stealing something, but a cop is shooting a homeless guy in the face with beanbags, attacking the press, pushing over and potentially killing old men, etc., then I don't care about the window - stop that cop from shooting homeless people first.

6. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

The idea that the cops should stand by and allow people to blow up buildings and flip cars even if the protesting is for a just cause is silly and it's a strawman argument.

Just like 2A protestors use their guns and their presence as a threat to authority and reminder that they serve the people, violence in protesting serves as a reminder of the same. But even as someone that believes in the cause and *understands* the means, I'm in full agreement that it's breaking the law and it shouldn't be allowed unabated.

7. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

lol, literally more willing to write a fanfiction piece than to allow for racism to enter the picture. The problem here is you don't have any sort of redemption arc, and where's the love interest? Some more world-building would help.

8. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

That said though, the visual of blasting protestors with water cannons is terrible optics. That's the same shit cops were doing to anti-segregation protestors for sitting at lunch counters. That's not the visual you want to calm the stampede.

9. narad

As an ex-Baltimorean, just going to call bullshit on this claim (for the record).

JSanta, StevenC, budda and 1 other person like this.
  10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

That's kind of my point. I'm phrasing everything terribly, but I think the attempts to stop the looting would make things worse. The less police respond to anything, the less push back they'll get, the quicker the tension will calm down. Pretty much any action the cops take that can be framed as "against anyone" is going to excite more tension, whether they're doing the right thing nor not, whether they're properly upholding the law or not.

11. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Sorry for using an incorrect term, you're right it is systemic but also systematic too. I guess because I've used a wrong term it makes whatever you say correct. Isn't that what your Cheeto in Chief thinks?

StevenC likes this.
  12. narad

You used the wrong word! Your argument is therefore VOID!

Edika and StevenC like this.
  13. thraxil

thraxil cylon

14. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

15. CTID

CTID Duh-Jent

Cyanide_Anima, tedtan and SpaceDock like this.
  16. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

So true, I had a roommate once who was a raging klepto, yet lived in constant fear of people taking his shit, assuming everyone was like him. Whenever cons paint the world as tooth and claw to vote in a predatory authoritarian, I have to wonder where the mindset comes from...

17. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Maybe Trump is voting bDemocrat? I mean, they're the ones doing the fraud...

18. USMarine75

For years now I have heard the word "Wait!" It rings in the ear of every Negro with piercing familiarity. This "Wait" has almost always meant "Never." We must come to see, with one of our distinguished jurists, that justice too long delayed is justice denied.

19. USMarine75

Does that invalidate the cause?

Do racial inequality and police brutality exist or not?

xzacx likes this.
  20. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

Looks like Trump is getting his "Big Big Crowds". It might actually be the "biggest crowd of all time". All those people celebrating his superb job with the economy this week. And he even built his wall finally! What a great turn of events.

This is my sarcasm face.

budda, tedtan, JSanta and 1 other person like this.