US Political Discussion: Trump Administration Edition (Rules in OP)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. USMarine75

USMarine75 Stairway to Heaven blows Contributor

2. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I was literally just reading that article. Boy did this DoJ stuff escalate.

3. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

And yet, zero checks and balances in play to do anything about it. Because the same glorious 'low population states deserve representation too' system that gives you a lopsided electoral college to put a guy in is the same system that hands him lock-step support from his party. They're the body capable of removing and approving cabinet appointments, and they're totally please with how this is playing out.

Mitch for a while implying he didn't seat Garland because it was a lame duck session a year before an election, and he'd seat a Justice this year if it came up because Trump technically could serve another 4 years, now totally explicitly stating he'd seat a Justice because he and the president share the same party. It's brain cancer inducing.

USMarine75 and JSanta like this.
  4. Randy

Also, the Daytona 500 photo-op with the Presidential limo taking a lap would be considered cringey in South Korea and Russia, much less this supposed bastion of liberty and freedom we're living in. Compounded with Trump also calling himself "The King" this weekend.

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Good ol' Mitch, elected by the state ranked 45 out of 50 for education and double digit illiteracy numbers.

budda and USMarine75 like this.
  6. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

This is vomit inducing.

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Honestly, the only "check and balance" on Trump with any degree of efficacy seems to be the court of public opinion. He defends his guys until the backlash becomes so severe that he cant, and then he lashes out and fires them so he could look like the decisive one. Flynn is the perfect example here, but it's a pattern we've seen a number of times so far.

But with Barr, I wonder what exactly that pain point would be. I mean, this was the guy who pre-released a summary of the Mueller report to get the "no obstruction" narrative out into the public eye, even though the Mueller report itself was very clear about the ten cases it presented that probably rose to the bar of obstruction of justice. This is the guy who is now launching an investigation into investigations of political figures, who launched an investigation into the start of Operation Crossfire Hurricane over alleged impropriety, who is now under the gun for - at a minimum - creating the impression of political interference into the Stone sentencing, as well as probably another half dizen things I'm forgetting here.

At what point has Barr done enough shit that Trump can't risk him talking, period? I have to think that if Trump's former attorney general comes out and says he's prepared to testify under oath that he and Trump discussed his Mueller Report summary before release and Trump asked him to add the no obstruction collusion, that he and Trump had discussed blocking Ukrainian aid to get an investiation of the Bidens, that he had launched a number of investigations specifically at Trump's request to get back at people for their roles in his own investigations, etc etc etc, that at SOME point the Senate would have a very hard time sticking with Trump.

I mean, Trump's supporters will probably stick with him right up to the point where he betrays them, and being told the whole thing was a lie, the Dems were actually right, Trump was making you look foolish this whole time by your loyalty, and I can say this with confidence because I was in on it... There's at least a chance that cracks his grip. I don't even know how good a chance anymore, but it's a chance.

Thaeon and JSanta like this.
  8. Ralyks

So now Trump wants Barr to clean house at the DoJ. After more than 2000 former officials said he should resign.

9. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

trump is going to pardon everyone who broke the law to get him elected. and he will continue to pardon people if they donated large sums to his campaign.

he will not face any consequences. i think barr is just saying that and has no plans to leave or do anything that resembles justice.

vilk likes this.
  10. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

DT: "You'd better get rid of all those former DOJ employees!"

WB: "Ummm....ok. *Barr waves his hands around like a wizard* "Poof! Done!"

DT: "Thank you. That was easier than I thought. Who knew so many formers worked in the DOJ. Do they park their tractors outside?"

Randy likes this.
  11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

:rofl:

12. Ralyks

Stone got 40 months. And he’s filing an appear, which gives Trump more time to consider a pardon.

What’s democracy?

13. Randy

I'm not 100% convinced that's a definite considering he's let Manafort sit in jail for a while now.

My biggest frustration here would be how slow the gears of justice move, especially Stone getting two or three "redoes" after he violated the terms of his bail and now he's getting a hold on the sentence while they hear his appeal. Also, state and local districts like NYC and Washington, DC that have standing (and CANNOT be pardoned out of) that keep echoing the threat of stepping in but haven't.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    StevenC, JSanta and Thaeon like this.
  14. Ralyks

15. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

16. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

My hunch is they're holding off because this would entail going nuclear - openly and aggressively piss off Trump, and trigger some sort of retaliation (see: TSA Pre-check getting blocked in NY in response to ongoing legal cases against Trump and "sanctuary city" concerns).

On one hand, I do think they go after Stone if Trump pardons him. On the other, the fact they're not isn't exactly an encouraging sign for the way Trump is putting his thumb on the court scales in this country, already. It's not like their concerns are unfounded, exactly.

Adieu likes this.
  17. Ralyks

So apprently, Russia is trying to help Bernie too

18. Randy

"Help" is a very slippery term. I think we visited this in 2016, and there were narrative that Russia was trying to "help" Hillary Clinton but really the point was that they wanted to sow discord and attempt to buy as many politicans as possible.

Russia benefits from two things, either direct collusion (like a president who rolls back sanctions or avoids imposing more) or the US looking unstable and taking a diminished role in the world stage (so they can take their place in things like trade, for example). Trump had essentially delivered both but never underestimate their interest in hedging their bets or at least maintaining an overall impression of chaos as a backup plan.

StevenC and Adieu like this.
  19. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

...or they think Bernie on the ticket would sow discord within the Dems and help their boy Donnie

20. Ralyks

Yeah, this was my thought.