US Political Discussion: Trump Administration Edition (Rules in OP)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. JoshuaVonFlash

JoshuaVonFlash SSBRO.org regular

IIRC he already had a suicide attempt, so I assume he was under extreme supervision. I know police are incompetent but are they that incompetent?

2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

""""""suicide""""""

3. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

"Suicide watch" is a catch-all term that describes many individual aspects and levels. Everything from switching to slip-on shoes and hourly check-ins, to full-on captivity where you'rs strapped down, sometimes sedated. So...we don't actually know (I don't think) just how intense of a 'watch' was prescribed, but I can't help but assume that not only because of the charges, and what we've been told was a previous attempt, that it would be pretty damn high up on the chart. At least 24/7 video surveillance, and I wouldn't have doubted if the jumper he was given was tear proof, with locking "holes" (meaning, once you're dressed, you can't get it off to hang yourself with it).

An interesting (I think) anecdote: In 1 of the 300 rooms, we had to provice "anti-ligature" hooks, which would break away if anything more than 5 lbs or so was hung on them.

narad likes this.
  4. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

It's just still wild to me that this was even able to happen.
    Taking his initial suicide attempt out of consideration, he's still an extremely high profile man under some extremely high profile, salacious, and serious charges. I would expect him to be on watch anyway. Especially with how everyone keeps trying to connect him to politicians. As it is, child offenders are usually pretty high-risk inmates, let alone a guy like Epstein. This blew me away.

5. vilk

vilk Very Regular

If you were surprised by Epstein's suicide... imagine how he must have felt!

Adieu, Xaios, Bearitone and 5 others like this.
  6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Also, how have we not talked about this?

[​IMG]

Baby in the picture was orphaned in the El Paso shooter. Trump: huge grin, giant thumbs up in the photo op they staged.

StevenC likes this.
  7. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

Because this sums him up as a human being. I don't even have to be surprised anymore, because that's expecting him to be anything other than what he's demonstrated time and time again. I mean, what kind of person would even want to have the photo-op? That says it all.

zappatton2 likes this.
  8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I mean, the shitty thing is it's perfectly on brand.

Posing with orphaned infant after mass shooting: Big shit eating grin, thumbs up.
    Walking from the helicopter en route to a 9/11 memorial service: big shit-eating grin, double fist pump
    At Puerto Rico press conference after hurricane: Big shit-eating grin, throwing paper towel rolls randomly into the crowd like some deranged post-dystopian Oprah.

It's fucking weird how little empathy for others he seems to have.

9. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

Also worth mentioning that one of the claims against him was committing ANOTHER sexual assault during his work release last time around. So everything in this guy's past and (up until a couple days ago) current history would say not to take eyes off the guy at all, ever.

I'm not looking to gaslight the infinite number of conspiracies that can and will present themselves as this goes on, but I heard mention today he might've claimed last time around that he was attacked, not that he tried to commit suicide. I haven't substantiated that (although, considering what happened, I'd be skeptical on anyone that says either as "fact") but it's something that's out there.

Related to the previous quote, I'll put this in the same column as the raid on Bin Laden's house and his body being unceremoniously dropped into the sea. I won't go as far as saying it's totally made up or that there's some incredibly deep insidious reason behind what we've been told, but the answer we got and the context in which we're given it is less believable than the conspiracies.

JoshuaVonFlash likes this.
  10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Haven't gotten further in substantiating it than this, but Bloomberg was citing an ABC story citing sources claiming his own defense attorneys requested he be taken off suicide watch, and if so standard protocol was that he successfully pass a psychological evaluation to demonstrate he was not likely to be a threat to himself before they would lift it.

Not that I'd doubt this guy was capable of lying his way past a team of psychologists, of course.

EDIT - only other thing I'll say is this - in general, my willingness to accept conspiracy theories is pretty damned low, and the bar they have to exceed before I take them at all seriously is pretty damned high - Occam's Razor almost always sides with the accepted story and not the conspiracy.

However, the thing that's sort of piquing my curiosity here, is AG Barr is making some awfully public responses to this, citing "irregularities" in the prison in press conferences. A man who by and large has stayed out of the public eye save for his letter summarizing the Mueller report and the ensuing mudfight seems to be going out of his way to get involved in this. I don't know what to make of it just (any of the possible justifications I can think up immediately sound crazy) yet but it's odd.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  11. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

What retirement?

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  12. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Thaeon likes this.
  13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, this article maybe veers a little into hyperbole, but for the first 10 months of the fiscal year (ending in October), the US has now run up a $866.8 billion dollar deficit, which is 11.2% bigger than the entire year's deficit in the fiscal year ending October 2018. We're *probably* going to stay under $1 trillion for the year, but not by much, and we're slated to break $1 trillion in next year's deficit.

Those are pretty shocking numbers - with the most recent GDP around $21 trillion, we're talking a current accounts deficit of roughly 4.8% of GDP. In a late-cycle but still expanding economy, that's unprecidented, and the real concern here isn't current deficit levels, but what would happen if the economy rolls over, federal revenue declines sharply, and the government has to engage in significant (and debt-financed) stimulus spending.

Thaeon likes this.
  14. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

So that all sucks.

Now someone please explain HOW THE FUCK DO YOU CHANGE THE STATUE OF LIBERTY POEM?!?

15. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Is it actually changed or did the guy just make some off-the-cuff remark? Headlines push the former, article content pushes the latter, as far as what I've seen so far.

16. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

CNN with it's priorities straight, clearly.

Screenshot_2019-08-13-21-53-23.png

Smoked Porter, ImNotAhab and Thaeon like this.
  17. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

One of the many reasons that "news" sources like CNN and Fox should be avoided.

ImNotAhab and Randy like this.
  18. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

POTUS has left the closet????

Randy and Thaeon like this.
  19. Thaeon

I can't say that it would surprise me. Even a little.

20. Thaeon

Where's Tyler Durden when you need him?