US Political Discussion: Trump Administration Edition (Rules in OP)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. vilk

vilk Very Regular

ehhhhhhh did they forget about Woodrow Wilson or something?

2. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

I've thought a lot about what's happened this week (how is it only Tuesday???) and I think Trump's played this situation brilliantly. Hear me out: he's catering to his base and many in the GOP that are thinking the exact same things he's said and has said in the past. Why else wouldn't there be more widespread condemnation of something so overtly racist? There's only been one Republican congress member (that I have seen) that has called this situation out for exactly what it is, while all of the others that have spoken out (which is just a minor portion of the GOP) have basically just stated he shouldn't have used the language he used. In almost any other job in the US, you would be fired for cause using that type of language, if not more severe consequences.

Randy and vilk like this.
  3. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I think "brilliant" aspect to Trump's play, which may have flown completely over his head, is that the swing voters typically don't care for the squad, so by getting the democrats to join together against his insults, he is making the democrats appear further left, which may pull swing voters Trump's way. Of course, that may backfire, too, but at least he isn't risking loosing any of his base; they eat that shit up.

4. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I figured he just wanted to change the topic away from child rape

Randy and tedtan like this.
  5. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Well, there's that, too. But Trump has always managed to survive his sex scandals (to date, anyway), so I don't know how much of a concern that would be to him.

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I suppose you could argue his execution here is brilliant. The problem though is playing to the base is an idiotic strategy, because there aren't enough registered Republicans to overcome an energized left (and there are more registered Democrats than Republicans) and a center disgusted at his overt racism. He may be catering to his base brilliantly, but that's a brilliant way to being a one term president.

Randy likes this.
  7. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

I completely agree with your assessment. The other thing that struck me is that Trump stated he'd let the voters decide on his rhetoric. In the back of mind, it sounded like a plea to vote him out of office haha! Along the lines of "I'm going to continue to say and do more and more terrible/outlandish things proving I don't really want this job".

Randy likes this.
  8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Eh, I suspect he's delusional/surrounded with enough yes men that he actually believes he's wildly popular and cruising to an easy re-election. This is the guy who is reported to have, when bad internal polling numbers leaked, simply fired his internal polling team.

zappatton2 likes this.
  9. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

Logically, I know you're correct. Just a funny thought I had as I've seen things unfold.

10. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Unfortunately, the scary side of this is "I know I won the 2020 election tonight, even if those FAKE results from the polling stations don't confirm it. I refuse to acknowledge those FAKE results that CNN and crooked Hillary cooked up and replaced the real results with, so I'm not leaving!"

I'd like to believe this is wild hyperbole. Day by day, I'm less and less able to.

zappatton2 likes this.
  11. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

12. Ralyks

To update, the House voted in favor to condemn Trump for the tweets. All the Dems, 4 Republicans, and Amash. Again, what does that even mean? They're allowed to tell him he's been a bad boy? He goes on timeout for 10 minutes? No golf for a month? Someone help me out here. @Drew ? Anyone?

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  13. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

It means your tax money got wasted on meaningless crap. How much time did they stop to vote on whether or not to condemn his tweets?

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  14. Ralyks

I mean, it already gets wasted on his golf trips...

vilk likes this.
  15. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

It's not a waste. It demonstrates to decent people both in this country and the rest of the world that we as a nation do not tolerate hateful rhetoric by our elected officials. It also shows voters in this country what all but 4 Republicans in the House actually stand for, and who they stand with.

16. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

MAGA: Mcdonald's And Golf Again.

tedtan, vilk, narad and 1 other person like this.
  17. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

The hell else do you expect them to do when McConnell won't bring anything they pass to the Senate?

18. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

Wait, are people claiming him saying what boils down to "if you don't like this country, leave" to those women is racist? Or did I miss something?

19. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Yes, if you tell a black person, born in America, to “go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came", it counts as racist.

Just to be clear, that doesn't "boil down" to "if you don't like this country, leave".

StevenC, Randy and JSanta like this.
  20. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

You're either willfully missing the part about going back to where you came from, or don't understand the subtext. Growing up in an immigrant family, being told to go back to where you came from was something I heard when i was with my father as a kid numerous times. It's a racist and/or overtly nationalistic statement.

This country is broken in a lot of ways, and people have to be willing both to speak up, as well as try and make positive changes.

StevenC, tedtan, zappatton2 and 2 others like this.