US Political Discussion: Trump Administration Edition (Rules in OP)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

The Onion just re-shared an article on Facebook that I thought was new, but then saw that it was originally from 2011 and that amused me.

"The world is a complicated place, and in this day and age, you just can't expect a person to fall on the same political side of every issue he is confronted with. Things are more nuanced than that, and the average American might think one way about one topic, and a completely different way about another. For instance, when it comes to fiscal issues, I consider myself to be a rabid, foaming-at-the-mouth, right-wing lunatic. But on the social front, I'm a completely out-of-his-mind, wacked-out liberal loon."

narad, Randy and StevenC like this.
  2. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

"Loon " as a pejorative fell out of the accepted nomenclature when Bill O'Reilly got taken off the air.

3. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

You're assuming he's aware that he's lost face. The thing is, I think a lot of people these days don't think about politics beyond talking points. And this is a problem, because a good number of populists will keep coming back with the same arguments, not have any grasp of the points countering them, and walk away with the feeling that those dang liberals are just intolerant of their opinions.

tedtan likes this.
  4. Randy

Drew likes this.
  5. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Here's an idea if you don't like what YouTube has on it's site. You ready?

WATCH SOMETHING ELSE. Imagine being that bent out of shape you Mrs. Lovejoy on the internet about requiring more internet regulations. The same is true of people who complain about various shows on Netflix because of whatever political leaning the show may or may not have. Thankfully, it hasn't required federal regulations for Onision's channel (actually, multiple channels) to tank and be about as popular as herpes. And speaking of multiple channels, isn't that against YouTube policy?

efiltsohg likes this.
  6. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    It's pretty funny to see Trump supporters missing the irony of their decrying media censorship which Trump regularly calls for.

vilk likes this.
  7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

They're simply reminding us of the motto of the modern GOP: do as I say, not as I do.

Which is similar to their primary argument: I know what you are, but what am I?

As a libtard, you just wouldn't understand.

zappatton2 likes this.
  8. Spaced Out Ace

CNN has every right to report whatever stupid news story (ie, ketchup on steak, two scoops of ice cream) they choose to.

9. Explorer

And yet you only criticize the idea of social media censorship by government, and not Trump's advocating censorship of news organizations. That's what's humorous, that you've ignored the proto-fascist moves of the president while clutching your pearls concern-trolling over instances of hate speech.

vilk likes this.
  10. Spaced Out Ace

I've never advocated for CNN to be censored. Wanna try again?

11. Randy

Tbh, it's just an ideological mismatch. I'm not arguing whether or not something should be done with you (I'm not engaging you at all actually), just pointing out that it COULD be done based on precedent.

Anyway, what's ironic is that I think a level of standardized regulation would actually be LESS intrusive than the policies social media companies are enforcing on themselves right now.

I find deplatforming, demonetizing and deprioritizing to be incredibly black box and done arbitrarily. The reasoning is super subjective and creators are given very little if any recourse or opportunity to plead their case. It's actually a bigger threat to free speech to say "you're not allowed to say those things anywhere on the internet" than it would be to, say, make sure editorializing or speculation and reporting facts are clearly defined things for the audience.

12. Explorer

Reading comprehension shouldn't be that hard. Highlight where I attributed advocating censorship to you, please.

To whom did I actual attribute that?

And, who didn't call out that advocacy on the part of that person? (Hint: it's *you*.) That's why I'm laughing at the concern trolling.

Spoon feeding should only be necessary at the kids' table.

13. Spaced Out Ace

I think deplatforming Alex Jones, to be more specific, was a bad idea. His stances were more easily tracked via putting them in public view. Now he's in the shadows, as a figure of speaking, by being on a smaller video platform. Demonetize him and keep him on YouTube. Instead, you now have to watch on his site (clicks = ad money, I believe) or watch on whatever site he found to host him (also likely giving him money). Not sure it accomplished much.

14. vilk

vilk Very Regular

If it accomplishes fewer people listening to the things he says then the goal is achieved

15. MaxOfMetal

Why are the bigger more popular platforms used: ease of operation, reach, and compensation.

By knocking Jones off said larger platforms it's harder for him to distribute content, it reaches fewer people, and the compensation is significantly lower. I'd say that's accomplishing something. On top of drawing a line in the sand that his brand of odious content is not okay.

But don't forget the larger ramifications. Right now Jones is being sued into the ground. By all reports he is not doing well on that front. After he's tapped, the next logical target are the platforms who hosted his content for so long. He became more of a liability than a dependable source of traffic. That alone is enough reason for the most sardonic libertarian to make peace with the decision. :lol:

StevenC likes this.
  16. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I was getting worried after the Joe Rogan podcast that Alex Jones would attempt to kill someone on air.

17. Spaced Out Ace

It also allows him to use other platforms which will give him money based on ad revenue because they don't really care what sort of content they host, such as BitChute. They just want to draw people away from YouTube. Cutting off ad revenue would go a lot longer way (via demonetizing him on YouTube) than allowing him to flourish in the sewers of the internet.

That'd be must see YouTubing right there. "Watch the Joe Rogan podcast, where Alex Jones murders Joe Rogan himself." :lol:

18. MaxOfMetal

But what would stop him from going to BitChute anyway?

Also, "flourish" isn't exactly what he's doing since his views are now measured in hundreds, with the significantly smaller income that garners.

19. Spaced Out Ace

Are we talking what he'd say would keep him from going to BitChute, or what would really keep him from going to BitChute? I ask because I think the answer would likely differ.

I don't have ads (I block them), but I don't think he was being able to monetize his YouTube videos anyways, was he? Now there is likely more emphasis on paying to stream his InfoWars streams.

20. MaxOfMetal

Apparently his streams and revenue from apps is in the shitter.

The week after he was de-platformed both were soaring, but things dropped off by about 50% a week after the first couple weeks. And falling.

The more platforms he's removed from, there is a slight bump in other traffic, but it seems to go away almost instantly.

Again, the goals were to cut his revenue, limit his reach, make it harder to proliferate. All three have been met.

The courts are going to finally silence him though.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/02/07/us/politics/alex-jones-sandy-hook.amp.html