US Political Discussion: Trump Administration Edition (Rules in OP)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Odd, why does that sound so familiar...?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I love when racist pieces of trash are this chickenshit.

Like dude, we know you're garbage. You know what that is. Just have the balls to actually own it.

But they don't because even though they're Mr. Tough Guy White Supremacist Who Puts Swastikas Everywhere Because It Ain't No Thing, deep down they're just scared little babies. Talk about projecting. :lol:

Explorer, StevenC, vilk and 3 others like this.
  3. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Newsworthy indeed

It's almost like life was boring, America didn't have a corrupt man in a Russian dictator's pocket in the Oval Office, the State Department wasn't freelancing for unidentified business interests and in a crudely thuggish way at that (the Huawei boss's daughter arrest thing -- distateful hostage taking even by mafia standards), there wasn't a strange and misguided trade war looming with China, etc.

But oh damn some wacko landscaped a swastika on his property, what's this world coming to?

4. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I mean...that isn't the only story on the site, and it's the page of the local news affiliate, not a national publication. Since when does smaller stations reporting on local goings-on negate or down play anything reported on elsewhere?

StevenC, narad and vilk like this.
  5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

When some find it more convenient to give it the "nothing to see here folks, no big deal" treatment in order to sweep evidence of regular, good old fashioned white supremacy under the rug.

Because if racism is real and widespread, then maybe there's more at play than simple, pragmatic politics.

It makes it harder to just blame those at the top.

JoshuaVonFlash and vilk like this.
  6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

...though the ones at the top are certainly enablers and giving everyday white supremacists cover. Hate crimes have ticked up since Trump's election, and more immediately counties where Trump has held rallies have seen significant subsequent increases in hate crimes:

https://www.vox.com/2019/3/24/18279807/trump-hate-crimes-study-white-nationalism

Trump has also been downright glacial when asked to condemn white nationalism, which certainly isn't helping matters.

7. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

Trumpies in nutshell, TBH.

Explorer likes this.
  8. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

The fucking redneck part doesnt make yourself look any better than them though. If you had left fucking and redneck out, your messege would come off alot more digestible from people who may have different points of view. It's wasted energy. Your anger is equivalent to the hatred of KKK members getting riled up about how much they think black people are pieces of shit.

On the word "facist", Do you realize how silly it is to think that Trump is facist, and not the government as a whole since long before him? (At least in part) But again with the ignorance of symbolisn hidden in plain sight....
    congress_fasces.jpg
    Do you have any idea what that thing is that the arrow is pointing to?

If you perceive that slogan, and that man, in that way, then that is you're own problem. And if you shout these people down in the streets, or throw shit and piss grenades at them like Antifa does, then you are no less a piece of shit.

9. vilk

vilk Very Regular

^tolerance paradox again :coffee:

StevenC, JoshuaVonFlash, Drew and 2 others like this.
  10. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

I don't treat people with MAGA hats with any sort of violence if that's what you're insinuating. I have anti-fascist ideals (as in I think fascism is a problem), but I am not Antifa. Neither do any of the people in my circle of people. In all of our Tom Fuckery, we point a lot of fingers a logical and moral inconsistencies. There are lots. As to your previous point that the nation has been getting more fascist as time goes on, that is correct. I do not believe that Trump is the first Fascist by any stretch.

MetalHex likes this.
  11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

No, actually, it doesn't. Why should I tolerate racism? Further, why should I tolerate someone so racist, they want to broadcast to the whole world that they're racist?

Vilk is 100% correct. You're caught arguing something that's logically incorrect, so instead of admitting you're wrong you're just retreating to the tolerance paradox. It's OK to despise someone for being proud to be a racist. It's not ok to despise someone for the color of their skin, for their religious beliefs, for their sexual orientation, or their country of origin, and equating opposition to intolerance with intolerance itself is idiotic.

Why are you even defending these people? Do you honestly think having a problem with proud and overt racism is exactly equivocal to being overtly racist?

StevenC, narad, Ralyks and 4 others like this.
  12. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

I was going to avoid this, but you make a good point. There's a difference in disliking someone for what they can't help but be vs disliking someone for acting on and spreading ideas that are damaging to other people and cultures.

13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Also, I was going to let this go, but... Again, you don't actually understand what you're talking about.

The fasces was a symbol of government dating back to the Greek and Roman empires, as a metaphor for the collective nature of democratic government - our slogan, E Pluribus Unum, "out of many, one" is a take on the same general concept.

Fascism dates to modern Italy, where the Italian Fascist party took the fasces as their symbol and used it as a symbol of authoritarianism. In contemporary usage, "fascist" doesn't refer to the belief in collective rule, but rather a form of government where citizens subject fully to the all-powerful, authoritarian state. In many ways it's the exact opposite of the democratic principles the fasces was originally intended to signify.

You're literally just throwing around logical fallacies and correspondences in this thread with no actual understanding of what you're doing or what these things represent. You have only the most superficial imaginable grasp of these concepts, and frankly you're kind of embarrassing yourself.

14. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

I never said you need to be tolerant of those types......IF you know for a fact that they are racist or (insert liberal buzzword ending with "ist" here) etc.. But again, for the 4th time now (?), you are judging someone because of the hat they are wearing, because of what you THINK that hat represents. Has nothing to do with intolerance paradox.

Maybe the MAGA hat just means pro-capitalism to somebody, and they want to make sure this country stays a capitalist one......the same way, if someone wears a hat with a picture of Mao Zedong on it, I would think that that person is pro-communist, and wants to see communism in this country. I wouldn't assume that that person wants to allow 45 million people to die.

If you cant understand this, I'm all done trying to make this point. :lol:

15. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

This is where I think you're losing it.

No one who supported communism as an ideal or philosophy would wear symbolism of Mao, because that is a symbol of authoritarianism not communism. Wearing Maoist imagery would imply support for murdering millions of people. In the same way no one wears Stalinist imagery, because again not communism but authoritarian imagery.

A MAGA hat isn't a pro capitalism hat. If you think the only reason to support Trump is he's the only pro capitalist man in American politics then I have some incredibly obvious things to tell you. As I've said before Trump has failed at everything he's tried to do except incite hatred, so if you're wearing that hat you're either an imbecile or a racist imbecile.

JoshuaVonFlash and zappatton2 like this.
  16. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

S...sorta?

T-shirt titled "Communist Party"

[​IMG]

JoshuaVonFlash, Randy and StevenC like this.
  17. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I wonder if the same applies to people who wear Che Guevara bullshit.

18. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

This is actually a good example. I reckon most people who wear that are wearing it more as a symbol of rebellion (see: Irish nationalism) than as an endorsement of the man. And anyone using it in the latter sense would also fall into the imbecile category, in my opinion.

This is like the opposite of the swastika, where the original intent is harmless but the general understanding is offensive. Here the majority interpretation isn't nuclear weapons proliferation, and more "sticking it to the man".

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  19. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

But where hasnt communism oppressed the People in one form or another?

20. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Oppression is not a good pro capitalist argument. But also it's hard to find good examples of communism, but lots of examples of authoritarianism masquerading as such.

Also, you'll not find many people who are actually full on communists, so I don't see your point. People tend to want sensibly regulated capitalism with effective taxation to provide social programs such as education, healthcare and infrastructure.

Governments don't serve a lot of purpose if it isn't for social systems. Capitalism doesn't do any good if it doesn't add value to society. The two don't compete with each other.

JoshuaVonFlash likes this.