US Political Discussion: Trump Administration Edition (Rules in OP)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Not exactly.

Two consenting adults of the same gender being a couple causes zero harm.

If someone is actively trying to curtail the rights and protections under the law of a whole group of people, then they are causing harm.

You're welcome to hate who you want to hate, but the second you act on that hate you transcend simple poor character.

tedtan, Ralyks, vilk and 3 others like this.
  2. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Why appeal to the most people during an election when principles -- among fucking crooks, mind you -- are at stake?

Ordacleaphobia, efiltsohg and Adieu like this.
  3. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Once it gets into the territory of wrecking women's sports by giving intact dudes medals and scholarships for WOMEN'S competitions (and presumably letting them use locker rooms?), advocating feeding confused juveniles hormone treatments, for lopping off people's junk when they MAY be mentally ill by some definitions

....it gets a bit VAGUE.

To strive for idealistic tolerance to the point of denying that these things are legitimately contentious issues and try to shame and bully those who disagree with the PC line is precisely what opened the door for reactionary anti-PC types like Trump.

So if the vain addlebrained old fart gets butthurt and starts a nuclear war with somebody, THAT'S ON YOU LOT. He'd never have made it to the oval office if the Dems hadn't done their damndest to alienate centrists and regular joes.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  4. MaxOfMetal

Appealing to the majority would upset corporate donors, and limits personal financial gain, and we all know we can't have that. Not in an election year. :lol:

5. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Also of note: plenty of people are disinclined to believe that most Democratic politicians' ideals actually....well, EXIST AT ALL

Sucking up to all manner of minorities and interests can also be simple cold ARITHMETIC: +1% here, +2% there... that kind of "ideal".

6. Spaced Out Ace

I wonder how upset Hillary's donors were when she lost and went on her Blame Game tour...? I'm not being a smart ass; I'm legitimately curious what the fallout of that was.

7. MaxOfMetal

:rofl:

Yeah, if we were all a lot less tolerant we could really start having a peaceful nation. Because it's not systematic hate and inequality that's lead to some of the most heinous crimes against humanity, it's tolerance.

Poor ROI. But I doubt anyone lost sleep. Pocket change.

In all seriousness, they probably made it back in spades from Trump's tax plan.

LordIronSpatula and zappatton2 like this.
  8. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

...you do know that this is the ONLY country to deploy nuclear weapons (against civilian targets no less), and the only country to deploy chemical weapons for scorched earth warfare post-WWI????

And, btw, what do America, the Nazis, the old archenemy the commies, and the current weak sauce Big Bad Jihadis ALL have in common? IDEALS. They all deem themselves morally superior idealists striving for a better world

....Idealists are freaking dangerous.

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  9. Spaced Out Ace

Well sure, it might be pocket change to a bunch of cash vacuums who spend their days thinking of better ways to bend over the populace and rape their wallets without lube. I dunno if foreign donors made money from Trump's tax plan, but that would be something worth indicting over.

10. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Nah

Getting rid of Trump would be nice and reassuring and a boon to the physical and economic safety of the world, but you can't just suddenly start locking up everyone whose agendas benefitted their donors

If you do that earnestly and non-selectively, all left standing in the political field would be wingnuts and lunatics.

Too radical a cleanup too fast can have ramifications, too

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  11. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

now I realize this might be an extremely position but I think sending racists and bigots to the gulag would be a good start in developing a superior society

and unless you have a problem with dismissing racists or bigots I can't see how you would disagree with this position.

12. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

That always ends the same way --- with your very own racist, bigoted cellmates

13. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

with all due respect, nah

14. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Revolutionary purgers have a time-honored tradition of soon accompanying their purgees

That's just how it goes. Law of nature.

15. MaxOfMetal

Hey, if you're looking to beat up on America, you've come to the right place. I've spent way too much time espousing my disdain for American Exceptionalism. :lol:

But, I don't think America dropped the bombs because of overwhelming tolerance (while we were putting our own citizens in camps back home), we did it to show Japan, and Russian, our new toy.

You're wrong about, or more likely intentionally distorting, the difference in ideals. There is a difference between fostering an exclusive ideal society (everyone has to be like us) vs. an inclusive ideal society (everyone can be themselves).

Miek likes this.
  16. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

I mean that's true but I think it's definitely acceptable to say that fascists, which have a concrete definition, are undeserving of mercy, based on that definition. there's a lot of approaches to a just and equitable society but fascists, by definition, aren't interested

17. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Enforced tolerance is also an "exclusive ideal"

By somebody else's definition, you and your views might also be judged unrepentantly incorrigible in some aspect

THAT is why extreme measures against anyone are such a slippery slope

18. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

we were more than happy to use our weapons of absolute horror, regardless of the fact we used "former" Nazi scientists to design them. the US has done an incredible job of rehabilitating it's reputation to the general public.

Adieu likes this.
  19. MaxOfMetal

No one is forcing you to be LGBT, or even like them, we're just asking you not to actively try to destroy their lives. Is that so hard?

zappatton2 likes this.
  20. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

enforced tolerance... as opposed to gratis intolerance? a wonderful buzzword, tolerance is, but in my experience the only people that make an issue of the concept are using it to distrwact from what they're actually getting at

you're such much more diplomatic than I am.

and to be clear, as I know this site gets a lot of non-americans, I am an American who is very anti- whatever America is doing in anyone's country or presenting as in anyone's country